Delightful Forest Feb. 2010!

The Dragon

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
masterofoneinchpunch

If you can't wait, don't forget you can get it now in:

41ee83sU5-L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Two are previously released, but Heroes Shed No Tears is new. I picked this up yesterday at FYE of all places. I had never seen a Well Go release there before. It was also marked down to 25 dollars.

masterofoneinchpunch

quick write up I did on this movie:

The Delightful Forest (1972: Hong Kong: Chang Cheh/Pao Hsueh-Li) ***½/****:

The Shaw Brother's releases are a mixed lot with their studio system style that could churn out quite similar movies. But even confined to this system a few directors flourished like Chang Cheh and Liu Chia-liang (both involved in the making of this film). I am familiar with the most famous of the releases like The Five Venoms, Crippled Avengers, Come Drink With Me so when I find a film that is surprisingly good like The Magic Blade or this that I was not familiar with and either not mentioned or glossed over in the many Hong Kong cinema books I have read it makes me a happy viewer.

Ti Lung reprises his role as Wu Sung he previously played in The Water Margin about a powerful Kung Fu artist who killed a tiger with a single punch (he would go on to play the character at least twice more in his career) and follows a stringent code of ethics. This leads him in the beginning of the film to killing off his sister-in-law (not shown) and lover Ximen Xing (Lau Kar-wing) who were responsible for the death of his brother. After he does this in a nicely choreographed fight he expects to be put in jail and does not resist (though he does expect a certain amount of respect). There he finds an unexpected benefactor in a son of a magistrate Shih En (Tien Ching) who has him treated overly well in the jail (actually making him suspect that he is actually going to be killed). This is done because he is a hero and he needs him to help take back a town (The Delightful Forest) that was taken by force from Jiang Zhong (Zhu Mu) and his cronies. Wu Sung is successful in the endeavor but he inadvertently obtains the wrath of the person who is actually behind all of this.

Brilliant ending that reminds me a bit of Sword of Doom. I am going to have to put up an image from that film as it is quite bloody and certainly influenced by the chambara films of the 1960s.

Chang Cheh's penchant for male masochism is certainly here, while he is only co-director with Pao Hsueh-li (they also worked on The Water Margin (1972) together), it certainly feels like Chang Cheh film with much of his sensibilities though less emphasis on the "team spirit" aspect that permeates most of the movies I have seen from him.

The fighting is not quite as polished as the later Liu Chia-liang films, but has an interesting plot, quite good cinematography and direction.

I really wish I had more literature or reviews on this. Even HKMDB only has two partial reviews that do not relay enough information. EDIT: I see a nice one on IMDB (the only one there)

The 5.1 mix on the Well Go release is not very good. I really wish the mono track was included on this release. The official single release of this movie is not yet available. But this can be found on the Well Go Shaw Brother's Epic Heroes Tin release (with two previously released films and two that will be released on Feb. 2, 2010.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

[quote=

The fighting is not quite as polished as the later Liu Chia-liang films, but has an interesting plot, quite good cinematography and direction.

The 5.1 mix on the Well Go release is not very good. I really wish the mono track was included on this release. The official single release of this movie is not yet available. But this can be found on the Well Go Shaw Brother's Epic Heroes Tin release (with two previously released films and two that will be released on Feb. 2, 2010.

I have to say, upon viewing this version a few times now, I have to disagree with these statements. The fighting in this film, especially the opening fight between Ti Lung and Liu Chia Yung as well as Ti Lung's fight with Chu Mu, are equal to if not better than any Liu Chia Liang films. It really dose'nt get any better than this film displays, honestly.

Secondly, I really have no problem with the audio, and what your hearing is the original english dub remastered. If there's been any additions they were done wholly in regards to restoration.

I've been repeatedly viewing the old english dubbed boot until I recently was given the remastered version and I am very happy with the upgrade. For those who love very serious kung fu films with alot of attitude and very realistically done fighting, you must pick this film up. Easily one of my all time favorite Ti Lung roles. He actually looks drunk. It's awesome acting by all concerned especially Ti Lung. You can watch this film over and over again and never get sick of the fighting, which by the way was choreographed by no less than, Tang Chia, Liu Chia Liang, Liu Chia Yung, and Chen Chung (I may have the spelling of this guy wrong). This flick is f - ing sick!!!

I've yet to see this, I loved the part in Tiger Killer when he knocks back all that wine, what was it called? 3 bridge wine or something? have 3 drinks and you can't make it over the bridge, he drank 3 jugs:xd:

The "remastered" English Dub was show in Original Mono on kung Fu HD and is MUCH more enjoyable to folks who don't like crap with added F/X. Well Go should always include it. They don't do it and it shows that they don't give a f*ck.

This movie was such a surprise for me. I hadn't heard of it & picked it up. Thought it was wicked. Shame to hear about the wellgo remixes.

Morgoth Bauglir
I've yet to see this, I loved the part in Tiger Killer when he knocks back all that wine, what was it called? 3 bridge wine or something? have 3 drinks and you can't make it over the bridge, he drank 3 jugs:xd:

He drinks pretty much the entire movie in Delightful Forest. :xd:. I've yet to see Tiger Killer.

I agree about the action being really good, especially the opening fight. I'd give this movie a 9/10. Very close to a 10/10.

• Administrator

I hadn't heard of this either, and did a blind buy when it was released by IVL/Celestial simply because I'm a Ti Lung fan. I was NOT disappointed! This is easily one of my favorite Ti Lung movies, and has great acting, script, directing, ect. No lameness whatsoever.

I agree with masterofoneinchpunch about the chanbara influence. Yes, very evident! I like my combat bloody, and that's certainly the case here! Wow!

As for the fight choreography, IMHO, it's not the intricate choreography of Lau Sifu at his best, but it is way above average for the time period. I felt that there was real emotion and commitment behind the moves. The fights are not so stylized as some kung fu films, but more brutal, straight forward, and powerful. In other words- perfect for this story.

I think this is an excellent film, and Tosh... you will definitely dig this brother!

He drinks pretty much the entire movie in Delightful Forest. :xd:. I've yet to see Tiger Killer.

...I agree about the action being really good, especially the opening fight. I'd give this movie a 9/10. Very close to a 10/10.

Yes it cannot be overstated how good a Kung Fu film this is. Ti Lung is excellent.

... and it is one, bloody showdown! The sfx aren't bad either; the wounds look real!:nerd:

• Administrator
Yes it cannot be overstated how good a Kung Fu film this is. Ti Lung is excellent.

... and it is one, bloody showdown! The sfx aren't bad either; the wounds look real!:nerd:

Agreed! I was actually a bit shocked at the level of some of the violence in the film. I mean, I've seen bloody SB films before, but this one may have pulled a gasp or two out of me. Certainly a few pained winces!

The only time the sound got annoying, for me anyway, was when he was on his way to the Delightful Forest. The montage of drinking footage has two songs being played at the same time, different tempos, just sounds horrible.

Great movie though, and yes very bloody finale.

One funny thing I noticed, when he finds that hair in his food the dub says "this looks like human hair" but the subs say "this looks like pubic hair"

masterofoneinchpunch
I have to say, upon viewing this version a few times now, I have to disagree with these statements. The fighting in this film, especially the opening fight between Ti Lung and Liu Chia Yung as well as Ti Lung's fight with Chu Mu, are equal to if not better than any Liu Chia Liang films. It really dose'nt get any better than this film displays, honestly.

Secondly, I really have no problem with the audio, and what your hearing is the original english dub remastered. If there's been any additions they were done wholly in regards to restoration.

I've been repeatedly viewing the old english dubbed boot until I recently was given the remastered version and I am very happy with the upgrade. For those who love very serious kung fu films with alot of attitude and very realistically done fighting, you must pick this film up. Easily one of my all time favorite Ti Lung roles. He actually looks drunk. It's awesome acting by all concerned especially Ti Lung. You can watch this film over and over again and never get sick of the fighting, which by the way was choreographed by no less than, Tang Chia, Liu Chia Liang, Liu Chia Yung, and Chen Chung (I may have the spelling of this guy wrong). This flick is f - ing sick!!!

While I love the action very much I just don't see Ti Lung's Kung Fu skills as polished or exquisite as when Liu Chia-Liang fights in the films he directed like Legendary Weapons of China or My Young Auntie.

I'm not sold on that audio. It may be just my ears, but it seemed off.

I'm quite happy with this film -- though my partial review should have stated that.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

" The montage of drinking footage has two songs being played at the same time, different tempos, just sounds horrible. "

This is two songs and it does sound a bit off because they're out of key with one another. Though these were blended purposely. I was thinking of this and how it could easily go either way with people, very strange intention, audio wise. I like it though, it has a very funky musical dissonance, typical for the times.

I really think Liu Chia Liang films are a bit over-rated. Not being controversial. Just don't agree with his status in film making. As a master martial artist he's second to none IMO.

I really think Liu Chia Liang films are a bit over-rated. Not being controversial. Just don't agree with his status in film making. As a master martial artist he's second to none IMO.

That could be a thread in itself!

I watched the Well Go version last night, mandarin audio, and I had to shut it off when they started playing the above-mentioned part with the two songs playing in two different keys. I really don't like those 5.1 remixes with the added effects and modern keyboards--totally brings me out of the movie. I switched back over to my IVL R3 version at that point, and it seemed to be just the original audio track, with no added stuff on that disc----much better.

I thought that it was Celestial that did all the audio tampering and additions? How come the 5.1 track is on the Well Go version, but not on the IVL version? I would have thought if Well Go got their source from Celestial, it would be the same? Or is it a case where IVL had both the mono and the 5.1 soundtrack, but just chose to release the mono on the R3 dics, and then gave Well Go the 5.1 track? I'm confused. :ooh:

(but yes, awesome movie)

Morgoth Bauglir
While I love the action very much I just don't see Ti Lung's Kung Fu skills as polished or exquisite as when Liu Chia-Liang fights in the films he directed like Legendary Weapons of China or My Young Auntie.

You are setting the bar way way too high there.

To me Ti Lung looks amazing in this movie. His kicking became stiff later in his career. In this movie he seems to be at his athletic peak, and the action’s about as good as it gets for 1972. I can understand you saying the action isn’t some of the best you’ve ever seen. But I thought it was way ahead of it's time.

masterofoneinchpunch
You are setting the bar way way too high there.

To me Ti Lung looks amazing in this movie. His kicking became stiff later in his career. In this movie he seems to be at his athletic peak, and the action’s about as good as it gets for 1972. I can understand you saying the action isn’t some of the best you’ve ever seen. But I thought it was way ahead of it's time.

I agree with this. I was just making a minor point earlier not to detract from the film overall. This film was certainly ahead of its time (compare this to the The Shadow Boxer (1974)) and it is one of my top 10 Shaws. But what got me into the film as well was the superb film choreography which also worked quite well for me as well as the story etc...

A question I have is how much was Pao Hsueh-Li involved with this compared to Chang Cheh?

David Rees

Does the Blu ray have original mono?,,i know Heroic Ones has, but i wont buy Delightful Forest Blu ray until i find out, as i hate 5.1 (bad) remixes....

BigDruDogg

I grabbed this on regular dvd a few weeks back, because the blu-ray never got here...

but lo and behold i saw if for $15 Yesterday on Blu.. Is the quality/extras worth the double dip?

The Dragon
Does the Blu ray have original mono?,,i know Heroic Ones has, but i wont buy Delightful Forest Blu ray until i find out, as i hate 5.1 (bad) remixes....

Yep.

:smile:

Fang Shih-yu

Yes, to confirm the previous confirmation! The sound is reasonably sharp and loud. After the picture, this is THE reason to get the BD over the DVD!:wink:

Archived