Fist of Legend-The Best Version?

punt44

The Running Man
I don't think the dub changes the story other then the final outcome.

Yes, it does. Some story points are dumbed down and even changed. A big one is the motivation of the betrayal by the cook. In the original he betrayed the school because of was worried about his own son's well being. The Dimension dub changes this completely so his motivation was money instead. It goes to even cartoonish levels by having the guy respond to him by saying something like "Don't worry! When the Japanese take over, we'll be set!"

I repeat though that the Dragon Dynasty subtitles only become full on dubtitles around the last 1/4 of the movie. However, since changes get repeated, including the ending, it still is a screw up. I'd have to go back but I think the Dimension dub might have even totally made up the translation of the infamous sign that is held up right before the last fight begins.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd have to go back but I think the Dimension dub might have even totally made up the translation of the infamous sign that is held up right before the last fight begins.

Yep - "Jing Wu Is Closed". I presume they wanted the film as generic as possible with its cliché music score (removing the political theme), so they invented that one.

I believe the MIHK VHS claimed it said "The Runts Of East Asia".

"Sick Men Of Asia" is the generally accepted and accurate translation.

I'm looking elsewhere at the subtitles and like 'TCM', they've subtitled the yelling (unless it's been taken from the HOH track, I'd rather have [yelling]). Maybe the subtitlist was lazy with the real ones and instead, took the rest from the Dimension DVD's subtitles, but went through it and erased anything that wasn't in the Cantonese soundtrack (Chen remembering Fumio's speech about adapting).

Guest Yi-Long
I can safely the German DVD is superb - though it does have the worse layer change ever!

The German DVD is still slightly cut, right? It's not the 'extended'/original cut...

The German DVD is still slightly cut, right? It's not the 'extended'/original cut...

Are you sure that your VHS is Cantonese?

Guest Yi-Long
Are you sure that your VHS is Cantonese?

Yes. Very sure. My girlfriend is canto. I recognise the language when I hear it. I also recognise mandarin, korean, thai and japanese when I hear it.

It's the Siren VHS which should be from Australia.

There's a fan disc on ADC. It uses the menu from the Zoke disc, video from the remastered R2 French disc, Canto audio, Mand audio, Eng dub & properly translated subtitles.

Guest Yi-Long
I bought the Dragon Dynatsty version just to make Yi Long happy.,

How you spend you money is your business. Just don't fool yourself into thinking you're not part of the problem.

The Yi-Long and DragonSword duel continues...

Lol

is there some "Problem" with DD? is it a crime to buy them, cause i was unaware and just ordered Police story 1 and Shanghai Express, wasnt tryna break ne laws or do ne thing wrong , lol

OpiumKungFuCracker

@fat_Dragon me too, I have plenty of DD titles the recent one being 36th Chamber and Return of the 36th Chamber...

Guest Yi-Long
Lol

is there some "Problem" with DD? is it a crime to buy them, cause i was unaware and just ordered Police story 1 and Shanghai Express, wasnt tryna break ne laws or do ne thing wrong , lol

You did WHAT!?!?!?

That's it. You're BANNED! White faced devil bastard! :khi1h::yociexp60::laluot_14:

:wink:

Guest Markgway

Not 100% on this but I believe that the UK BD is the same as the US BD content and A/V wise but with slightly better subs. Obviously the frame repetition (or whatever it's called) is the big issue on both.

So did the DD bluray fix any of the image issues from the dvd release...or are they even more noticeable?

No, they are still there, both on the UK Blu-ray of Fist of Legend, and the US Blu-ray of Tai Chi Master.

Guest Markgway
I didnt notice any blurring issues on my Cine Asia Blu ray...too busy enjoying the film..:biggrin:

I don't see how anyone could not notice it... but hey ho.

At least the mono is genuine unlike on the TCM discs.

BlurayStation3
There's a fan disc on ADC. It uses the menu from the Zoke disc, video from the remastered R2 French disc, Canto audio, Mand audio, Eng dub & properly translated subtitles.

What is ADC? Link?

What is ADC? Link?

ADC = Asian DVD Club, a torrent site. I'm not making a link as it might not be cool with the mods here. Use google.

So, the BDs' A/V is identical, with only subtitles being different? I went by thie review at The Digital Fix:

Presented in 1080p at 24fps (like all Cine Asia Blu-rays seem to be), Cine Asia is the UK distributor for the US company Dragon Dynasty, and comparing it to their R1 DVD release of Fist of Legend it’s apparent that this BD transfer has been struck from the same HD master that the DVD was taken from (comparison grabs are shown below). There were reported niggles with the frame-rate of the NTSC DVD where viewers complained of a perceived “motion blur” in a few scenes here and there whenever a new shot commenced. Thankfully this HD transfer doesn’t appear to suffer from any of those issues, so rest easy there!

Thoughts? I know Bluray.com has exhibited pretty bogus ideas of HD, but I thought Digital Fix was discerning?

Archived