Fist of Legend-The Best Version?

punt44

Hello All,

I recently purchased the Dragon Dynasty version but it had those terrible film hiccups that Tai Chi Master had. I wanted to find a good alternate version. I don't have to find the super rare uncut edition, but I wouldn't mind seeking out other sources like maybe a European Release, Asian Release, Pan Media Boot.

Because lets face it the Dragon Dynasty version is just a bad product.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Killer Meteor
Hello All,

I recently purchased the Dragon Dynasty version but it had those terrible film hiccups that Tai Chi Master had. I wanted to find a good alternate version. I don't have to find the super rare uncut edition, but I wouldn't mind seeking out other sources like maybe a European Release, Asian Release, Pan Media Boot.

Because lets face it the Dragon Dynasty version is just a bad product.

German and Japanese releases are said to be good.

Guest Yi-Long

The french release is supposedly pretty good, but obviously (and sadly) lacks english subs.

Personally, I'm sticking with my uncut Siren VHS and my DVD bootleg.

TBH, I'm very sad to say that I pretty much have given up on this movie (among other classics) getting the proper and uncut release it deserves.

Can't believe it's so fucking hard for companies to just release a movie uncut and in a decent state. Bunch of worthless amateurs.

What terrible film hiccups are you talking about punt 44?

What was cut out of fist of legend?

Personally I was very happy with my Dragon Dynasty version. While I was pleased to finally get an original language copy with English subtitles. If I remember correctly I was disappointed at the lack of a 5.1 sound option except for an English-language version. The same as police story 3 Super cop. Regardless both films were definite upgrades from my previous DVDs.

The Silver Fox

I think the Dragon Dynasty version of Fist of Legend is fine. I don't seem to remember any major problems with the picture. I agree there is problems with the release, like the opium smoking scene is missing(but it is included in deleted scenes) but overall it is a solid release.

The French version had a very nice subbed bootleg available a couple of years ago - it still pops up on eBay.

I wouldn't normally recommend bootlegs over legit releases but this really does seem to be the definitive version.

I updated the Wikipedia page months ago about versions.

For the Cantonese version: German DVD.

For the extras: Dragon Dynasty DVD.

For the Taiwanese version: Ritek DVD.

For the export English version: Spanish DVD.

According to Yi Long, the Siren VHS had been reported to have the Taiwanese version in Cantonese. I'd be very interested in seeing it :).

I updated the Wikipedia page months ago about versions.

For the Cantonese version: German DVD.

For the extras: Dragon Dynasty DVD.

For the Taiwanese version: Ritek DVD.

For the export English version: Spanish DVD.

According to Yi Long, the Siren VHS had been reported to have the Taiwanese version in Cantonese. I'd be very interested in seeing it :).

Cheers for that link. I would however say that my UK region 2 Dimension DVD doesn't look as good as my Dragon Dynasty DVDs in my opinion.

The Running Man

The only worth the Dragon Dynasty DVD has is in the extras. The presentation of the film is screwed up:

- It's just an anamorphic DVD of the Dimension version of the film.

- There are video hiccups like the ones seen in their Tai Chi Master DVD.

- The subtitles are not properly retranslated and worse they turn completely into dubtitles towards the last 1/4 of the movie for who knows what reason.

The only worth the Dragon Dynasty DVD has is in the extras. The presentation of the film is screwed up:

- It's just an anamorphic DVD of the Dimension version of the film.

- There are video hiccups like the ones seen in their Tai Chi Master DVD.

- The subtitles are not properly retranslated and worse they turn completely into dubtitles towards the last 1/4 of the movie for who knows what reason.

Well I didn't see any video hiccups. Could it be that my DVD player negated any video problems?

Either way I wouldn't say that the Dragon Dynasty discs only value is in its extras. The DVD may not be perfect but from reading about all the other versions none of them are perfect. In my opinion it sounds like the Dragon Dynasty disc is the best all-rounder if you want an English subtitled version. I suppose I'm less harsh because I haven't seen other versions of the film and the Dragon Dynasty release is by far a massive improvement on the UK Dimension DVD.

For some the "speed-up-slow-down" hiccups may not be noticable for some, but it's VERY distracting for me. I can't follow the action and it crushes the pace of both films for me Fist of Legend and Tai Chi Master. I'm trying to buy alternate versions. I think I may seek out the Ritek version.

Thanks for the info you guys.

The German DVD will contain the film uncut with more accurate subtitles.

Image-wise, Dragon Dynasty's is anamorphic and in my opinion, better than the French release levels-wise. However, don't be put off the Dimension because it's an older non-anamorphic release - it out-does any of them because its colours are just so much better.

Dimension

Dragon Dynasty

Each release has some annoying flaw sadly.

Image-wise, Dragon Dynasty's is anamorphic and in my opinion, better than the French release levels-wise. However, don't be put off the Dimension because it's an older non-anamorphic release - it out-does any of them because its colours are just so much better.

Dimension

Dragon Dynasty

the DD is miles clearer than Dimension , it's not even close! plus. with subtitles it takes FoL to a new level IMHO

Guest Yi-Long

Dimension

Dragon Dynasty

Each release has some annoying flaw sadly.

What label will be releasing this movie in Germany? Amasia?

That's a pretty good label (apart from sometimes renaming movies...), plus here in Holland we also seem to get Amasia-titles, so hopefully that would mean FOL Uncut would also someday come to Holland.

Image-wise, even with the minor hiccups, DD's by far looks the best. And from what I can understand, it was created from a new HD master so I can only assume the forthcoming DVD/Blu-ray from Cine Asia will sport the same master. My biggest complaint isn't that its cut (lets be honest, the movie is all but over when the cut occurs) but that it uses dubtitles for the last 20 mins or so.

I didn't think the DD version was cut, I understood it to be the HK version of the film which I know is missing some scenes that appear in other versions but obviously it's very common for different markets to have slightly different edits of these movies. I didn't think any scenes had deliberately been removed - can somebody confirm this as I'd like to buy the forthcoming Cineasia version which I think is the same print.

The Running Man
I didn't think the DD version was cut, I understood it to be the HK version of the film which I know is missing some scenes that appear in other versions but obviously it's very common for different markets to have slightly different edits of these movies. I didn't think any scenes had deliberately been removed - can somebody confirm this as I'd like to buy the forthcoming Cineasia version which I think is the same print.

The DD version is cut. Like I said, it is just the Dimension print but anamorphic this time. No new master. Just some tinkering with that print which resulted in the video errors that appear several times in the movie and colors that are a bit worse than the previous non-anamorphic Dimension DVD.

What you are thinking about is the Taiwanese version of the film that had some extras scenes (which should've have been kept in the HK version but that's a different topic). The Dimension version, which is what is present on the DD disc, cuts the last moments of the film and does not present the final text that explains what happens afterward.

Combine that with sloppy subtitles and you have a screwed up presentation that is not an "Ultimate Edition" as was advertised. The DD only succeeds in the extras department. If only Brian White and his crew would've given as much effort into the main feature as they did with the extras then it could've been something.

I am very happy with the DD version and hope the Blu-ray release in the UK is good also.

A few seconds at the end missing do not bother me, the other scenes which were not in the HK release are extras on the disc as well as some great interviews etc.

Subtitles are easy to follow for me, i dont understand all this dubtitle stuff, if i can follow the film im happy.

ASIAN CULT CINEMA BLOG

Morgoth Bauglir

I think the DD version of FOL looks fine. Much better than the Dimension. The picture hiccups pissed me off when I first saw it, but by the end of the movie it didn’t bother me, and it hasn’t bothered me since on repeated viewings. But, when I show to friends, I show the Dimension. I wouldn’t want people thinking the hiccups were the director’s choice. So I guess I can’t speak too highly of the DD version if I can’t even show it to my friends:tongue:

I am very happy with the DD version and hope the Blu-ray release in the UK is good also.

A few seconds at the end missing do not bother me, the other scenes which were not in the HK release are extras on the disc as well as some great interviews etc.

Subtitles are easy to follow for me, i dont understand all this dubtitle stuff, if i can follow the film im happy.

ASIAN CULT CINEMA BLOG

The subs are weird, though. At the end, Jet Li says something like that the fight against the Japanese will continue in another city. That's what being said in Chinese. what do the subs at the end of the DD dvd say?

The Running Man

The story is changed in Dimension's version.

what do the subs at the end of the DD dvd say?

Exactly what the Dimension dub says.

I think the DD version of FOL looks fine. Much better than the Dimension. The picture hiccups pissed me off when I first saw it, but by the end of the movie it didn’t bother me, and it hasn’t bothered me since on repeated viewings. But, when I show to friends, I show the Dimension. I wouldn’t want people thinking the hiccups were the director’s choice. So I guess I can’t speak too highly of the DD version if I can’t even show it to my friends:tongue:

maybe it speaks more about your friends if you watch a bad dub rather than the subbed DD?:wink2:

Morgoth Bauglir

Yeah it sucks that the Dimension only has the dub. It's impossible to take seriously. I need to get a different version to show friends.

Archived