Chia Yung Liu

niro

I just saw Tigress of Shaolin and this guy (Chia Yung Liu) caught my attention, cos he's got that onscreen fun guy persona similar to guys like Fu Sheng.

I was thinking why havent I heard of this guy before so I looked on internet and saw he's only featured in about 10 films, which is damn strange for someone with his family background, skills and likeable character.

Does anyone know anything more about him or why he's only done so few films?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lau Kar Yung? He's the nephew of LKL and Lau Kar Wng (his mother, their sister was also in Tigress).He's done a fair few films, mostly as action director. I believe he teaches Hung Gar now, with Mark Houghton.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

I believe he teaches Hung Gar now, with Mark Houghton.

Last I looked at their Hung Gar website, I remember seeing pics of him.

Back when I wasn't paying enough attention to the actors, I had him confused with folks like Cheung Ng Long and others who had their hair done the same way, some in order to become Jackie knockoffs. He doesn't particularly stand out to me (although I liked him in "Carry on Wise Guy" ["Warrior from Shaolin"]), but I would've expected more opportunities for the kid.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Liu Chia Yung is Liu Chia Liang's real life brother. Both are fifth generation masters of martial arts and weaponry. Liu Chia Yung directed the fight choreogaphy for King Boxer (five fingers of death), and showcased his skillls in a good number of films.

Delightful Forest

Shaolin Mantis

Shaolin King Boxer

Secret Of The Shaolin Poles

One Armed Chivalry Against One Armed Chivalry

Legendary Weapons Of Kung Fo

Two Graves To Kung fu

Master Of The Flying Guillotine

Legend Of The Seven Golden Vampires

and a slew of second rate attempts at comedic kung fu films, as did his brother Liu Chia Liang, who in my opinion was no better than Liu Chia Yung in any of these departments of filming.

I always thought Liu Chia Yung, who is David Chiang's personal trainer, has always been underrated.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Vengeanceofhumanlanterns, I think he is talking about Lau Kar Yung, the nephew of LKL and LKW!

He was the lead in Dragon's Claws against Hwang Jang Lee, if I remember correctly! That was a decent flick... or so I recall!

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Oh!!! Beardy, that guy is awesome. Hung gar style if I remember correctly. It is Liu Chia Jen, that's right. But they did write Liu Chua Yung.

On the subject of Lau Kar Yung (think his Mandarin name is Liu Chia Hsiung) he along with his kung fu brother (and longtime friend of my Hung Gar teacher Jim Uglow) Mark Houghton came to our gym in 2004.

Initially I was quite excited to meet him, but sadly it quickly became apparent that he is a bit of a bigheaded MASTER. He was apparently going to show us some tricks at Lion Dancing, as he tells everyone he was one of the two Lions at the start of Young Master, which is odd because my teacher's Lion Dance teacher Lee Yun Fook (a former world champion and the guy who does the Iron Wire form on the Hung Gar docu on Challenge Of The Masters D.V.D) was also one of the two lions in Young Master???.

That's maybe why he didn't go far (although he did direct New Kids in Town) because he is a bit of an idiot

On the subject of Lau Kar Yung (think his Mandarin name is Liu Chia Hsiung) he along with his kung fu brother (and longtime friend of my Hung Gar teacher Jim Uglow) Mark Houghton came to our gym in 2004.

Initially I was quite excited to meet him, but sadly it quickly became apparent that he is a bit of a bigheaded MASTER. He was apparently going to show us some tricks at Lion Dancing, as he tells everyone he was one of the two Lions at the start of Young Master, which is odd because my teacher's Lion Dance teacher Lee Yun Fook (a former world champion and the guy who does the Iron Wire form on the Hung Gar docu on Challenge Of The Masters D.V.D) was also one of the two lions in Young Master???.

That's maybe why he didn't go far (although he did direct New Kids in Town) because he is a bit of an idiot

LKY did double for Jackie in at least some of the lion dancing scenes in Young Master.

Archived