Chambara film series to screen in New York

Guest WuxiaFan

Guest WuxiaFan

In case you missed this article on the main site, New York's Japan Society will be screening a series of samurai films featuring Shintaro Katsu and Raizo Ichikawa. For those of you in the New York area, this is an incredible opportunity to see some Zatoichi films and samurai films featuring the "James Dean of Japan", Raizo Ichikawa. Here's a summary of the film schedule:

THE DOUBLE-EDGED SWORD SCREENING SCHEDULE

Friday, December 11, 2009, 7:30 pm

SAMURAI VENDETTA

**Opening screening with curator Chris D., reception and book signing

Friday, Jan. 22, 2010, 7:30 pm

ZATOICHI, THE FUGITIVE (aka ZATOICHI 4)

Friday, Feb. 19, 2010, 7:30 pm

DESTINY’S SON

Saturday, March 20, 2010

5:00 pm ZATOICHI ON THE ROAD (aka ZATOICHI 5)

7:00 pm: SCAR YOSABURO

Saturday, April 24, 2010

5:00 pm: NEW TALE OF ZATOICHI (aka ZATOICHI 3)

7:00 pm: NEMURI KYOSHIRO’S AT BAY: THE SWORD OF SEDUCTION (aka SLEEPY EYES OF DEATH 4)

Friday, May 14, 2010

5:00 pm: THE LONE STALKER (aka LONE WOLF ISAZO)

7:00 pm: THE DEVIL’S TEMPLE

The complete article by Mark Pollard is here:

http://www.kungfucinema.com/chambara-film-series-to-screen-in-new-york-11928

If anyone goes to any of these films, please let us know how it was! :bigsmile:

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest WuxiaFan
I'm definitely going to check out a few of those movies since I work right in Chinatown in NYC!

Daisho - tomorrow night is ZATOICHI, THE FUGITIVE(aka ZATOICHI 4)! Are you going? :smile:

WuxiaFan: I totally forgot all about it, and I have to work tomorrow night as well OT gotta make that money! A lot of good flicks coming out! Keep me posted about the next one in advance.

Guest WuxiaFan
WuxiaFan: I totally forgot all about it, and I have to work tomorrow night as well OT gotta make that money! A lot of good flicks coming out! Keep me posted about the next one in advance.

:yociexp57:

Daisho (and anyone else in the NYC area) - here's the next film to be shown in the series:

DESTINY’S SON (Kiru)

Friday, February 19, 2010 at 7:30 pm

1962, 71 min., 16 mm, color, in Japanese with English subtitles. Directed by Kenji Misumi. With Raizo Ichikawa, Eijiro Yanagi, Yoshio Inaba, Masayo Banri.

In director Kenji Misumi’s breakthrough film, Ichikawa seeks revenge and redemption after his family is murdered by a rival clan. An astonishing, dreamlike samurai film written by Kaneto Shindo, DESTINY’S SON is a demonic masterpiece–designed with quasi-expressionist artistry, awash with surreal landscapes, and subsumed in an otherworldly beauty that fuses Zen and sword.

Hope you can make it!

:yociexp98:

Archived