My Young Auntie And Brave Archer

Phoenix

Hi,

I was about to purchase My Young Auntie Dragon Dynasty and saw also that Tokyo Shock had released Brave Archer. Could members please advise me on the quality of these discs?

On Amazon UK, where I intend to purchase them from independent sellers it lists the Brave Archer audio as being English only-is this correct? I am after the original dub but would like dual audio tracks if possible.

Could the members here please tell me whether Brave Archer has the original audio track and whether Brave Archer 2 & 3 have been released in restored format with the original dub?

Any help appreciated

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The picture quality of both discs is excellent, in my opinion. Don't think you'll be disappointed.

Brave Archer has the original English and Mandarin dubs in MONO.

My Young Auntie also has the original English and Mandarin dubs in MONO.

Brave Archer 2 & 3 have been released in restored format but only the VCD releases have the original Mandarin MONO dub. The DVD releases had terrible 5.1 mixes.

Tokyo Shock will be releasing Brave Archer 2 & 3 in the future and they should have the original MONO Mandarin and English dubs.

Hi,

I was about to purchase My Young Auntie Dragon Dynasty and saw also that Tokyo Shock had released Brave Archer. Could members please advise me on the quality of these discs?

On Amazon UK, where I intend to purchase them from independent sellers it lists the Brave Archer audio as being English only-is this correct? I am after the original dub but would like dual audio tracks if possible.

Could the members here please tell me whether Brave Archer has the original audio track and whether Brave Archer 2 & 3 have been released in restored format with the original dub?

Any help appreciated

Thank You very much for your swift reply! I noticed another thread listing the R1 released Shaws after I made my post, but needed to know about these releases in particular.

I used to lurk/post here back in the Kung Fu Fandom days.

I will be looking forwards to the releases of Brave Archer 2 and 3, I really like the classic dubs although I can (and do) live without them although if a new release has both original audio and the old skool English dub that's a bonus to me.

Thanks again.

Edit-one last question, would members here recommend HKFlix these days? I was going to use third party independent sellers on Amazon UK but wonder what retailers/methods other UK based members use to purchase their KF flicks...

masterofoneinchpunch
My Young Auntie should be Cantonese though... DD used the wrong language track.

Here's where I get a little confused. Since direct-recording was not used and wasn't the Mandarin and Cantonese dubs made at the same time (most of the time using different people for vocals). I thought that the Cantonese was for local audience and for overseas distribution the Mandarin dub was used. Shouldn't both mono tracks be included though and there is really no "wrong" language track?

I think it's a matter of what language is the main "cast language". For example, Bruce Lee films are considered Mandarin films even though Bruce Lee spoke Cantonese. However, since the rest of the Chinese cast spoke Mandarin, Mandarin was the main language. MYA was a Cantonese cast film, as far as I can tell. While Mandarin can "work" as well, Cantonese was the intended original track. Not sure why they had the slip up since 36th Chamber's DVD had Cantonese AND Mandarin.

Guest Markgway

Old Friend pretty much summed it up. The director chooses a primary language before shooting. Any actor who can speak that language is advised to do so. Post-dubbing disguises their accents. Many character actors did their own dubbing.

Archived