Friend (2001)

nicklord1

Just saw this movie and it kicked ass.

I was wondering if anyone here has seen attack of a gas station or beat. If so do they have a uk or european release.

Cheers

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

FRIEND was great! I saw it at a film festival, and I had convinced my friend to come along. She had never watched any Asian cinema before, and she loved the movie. After that she borrowed and bought lots of cool Asian films.

For those who haven't seen it, FRIEND is a Korean flick about these buddies and the violent shit they go through as they grow up. Superb performances and some gritty, more realistic fighting stuff, including a whole school of kids trying to kill a few guys from another school!

Sorry Nicklord1, I'm not sure about a UK release for those titles. But ATTACK THE GAS STATION is good. Not as serious as FRIEND though. It's a black comedy, and has some really silly stuff. Not stupid silly though.

Did you see A DIRTY CARNIVAL yet? I'd also recommend PUBLIC ENEMY 1 and 2 (haven't seen 3 yet), and ONCE UPON A TIME IN HIGH SCHOOL.

• Administrator

One-Armed Boxer mentioned this thread in another one, and I decided to bump it. :bigsmile:

Yo people... you should check this movie out. I think it received a region 1 release (not 100% sure as I have an overseas version), so you should be able to get it via Netflix or whatever.

One Armed Boxer

Well worthy of a bump....awesome movie and highly recommended. Always refreshing to see a Korean movie based in Pusan instead of Seoul as well....the only other ones I can think of are 'Bloody Ties' and the recent Korean remake of the classic Hong Kong movie 'A Better Tomorrow'.

I also have the Korean DVD, but this is readily available on both region 1 and region 2 DVD from the likes of amazon -

http://www.amazon.com/Friend-Widescreen-Jang-Dong-gun/dp/B0001XAJYS/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1314762721&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Friend-DVD-Jang-Dong-Kun/dp/B00154I8OA/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1314762796&sr=1-1

Archived