longer versions

soundtracksi

hi all , has any body ever seen a longer version of legend of the seven golden vampires, not the USA version, i always remember from years ago that there was talk of a shaw brother's cut , a freind of mine worked in hong kong for years ,but he never found it ,any info would be great

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a 1998 VHS widescreen release by Anchor Bay Entertainment of The Legend Of The 7 Golden Vampires and it has both the original uncut version of the movie and the US version called The Seven Brothers Meet Dracula. I'm not sure if it has been released on DVD but this is the one to get. I still enjoy this movie very much...

There were 2 cuts released in the West, the original UK version and the dreadful US cut called Seven Brothers Meet Dracula.

What Simon means i think is a longer HK cut of the film released in the East, i too have heard rumours but nothing more...Love the soundtrack to this film too!

yes dave , you are correct , i have all other versions including the anchor bay, vids and dvds, the hunt is on for the hong kong version ,somebody must have seen it in some way for sure, and yes the soundtrack is great

Curious what is the runtime of this so called HK longer version? I have always thought that the UK dvd version was the full UNCUT release... (as is the Anchor bay release)

The Warner Bros vhs that was released in the 80s is cut, so was the original UK cinema print. (BBFC cut a total of 12 secs). But back in 2004 the UK dvd released by Warner Bros was uncut. (Includes those 12 secs) I say so called HK release because I never read about a HK version being the one that is uncut. If this is true and one does exist, I am curious what is missing then from the UK & AB dvd release.

I think the rumors of a longer version than the UK one are just that - rumors.

Over the years there's been all sorts of stories about extra scenes.

It wouldn't surprise me to find that there were scenes filmed and then cut but these were - as was the norm back then - to simply throw them away.

I'd love to be proved wrong, though as this flick is one of my faves and any extra footage would be most welcome!! :wink:

Have to agree that we probably will never see it, i think its a very underated film. We know Shaws kept most of there negatives etc in good condition so perhaps it is buried in the vaults somewhere...theres some interesting if short, behind the scenes footage on the BBC doc Fists Of Fire which is well worth seeing if you get the chance.

DVD BARGAINS..WWW.DVDASIA.CO.UK

Guest Markgway

Supposedly Shaws employed Chang Cheh to shoot some extra material exclusively for the Mandarin release. Never seen any such version myself but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

thank you all for input,i remember reading mag in the seventys talking about it,,and we may never see the version ,but that has been said about other long lost scenes from other movies, worth checking out doc on hammer called flesh and blood,with roy ward baker talking a little about it ,

Archived