36th Chamber Of Shaolin On Blu Ray

David Rees

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like the classic Shaw film is getting a Blu ray release in the USA. Date is scheduled for March 2010. Interestingly the company releasing it are Vivendi Entertainment and not Dragon Dynasty. Links below.

36TH CHAMBER ON BLU RAY

36TH CHAMBER AT AMAZON

Wow... just... wow. Now that it's been announced, I guess it's safe to say that I heard "through the grapevine" (I'm sure you all know who) a while back that this would most likely get a blu-ray release sometime in the future.

As for Vivendi releasing it, it's just another example of The Weinstein Company letting another company release their products. Universal (Vivendi) is releasing Inglourious Basterds, Sony (I think) is releasing Rob Zombie's Halloween II, and now this. I wouldn't mind seeing a blu-ray King Boxer, that's for damn sure.

Didnt know Vivendi were part of Universal, thanks for that info, lets hope its region free!

As far as I know, saying "Vivendi" in regards to Universal is like saying "Genius Products" in regards to The Weinstein Company. I could be wrong, but I've pretty much always heard Vivendi used in conjunction with Universal.

Vevendi is also releasing Return to the 36th Chamber on the same day (Mar. 2nd) on DVD. Hopefully they'll be releasing all those classics DD have been sitting on for the past few years.

http://www.amazon.com/Return-36th-Chamber-Gordon-Liu/dp/B002ZPIBRC/

What the :ooh: So now this is the thing... will these still use the Dragon Dynasty label? Like, will Dragon Dynasty "live on" through Vivendi? If so, hopefully it'll fare better than when Hong Kong Legends moved from Medusa to Contender.

Guess we just need to wait for some cover art...

Morgoth Bauglir

Return to the 36th Chamber release?! Any info if it'll have the English dub? This is huge. Gotta catch my breath.

On the Amazon page it says there are 2 discs. I wonder if you have to buy a double feature. Because surely there won't be a whole disc of extras!?

What the :ooh: So now this is the thing... will these still use the Dragon Dynasty label? Like, will Dragon Dynasty "live on" through Vivendi? If so, hopefully it'll fare better than when Hong Kong Legends moved from Medusa to Contender.

Guess we just need to wait for some cover art...

After having just read the article on asianblurayguide.com and the Vivendi pdf file that's linked on that site, I think that they still are gonna be using the Dragon Dynasty label. And that the only thing that will change will be that instead of the films being distributed by genius products they will be distributed by Vivendi.

I just hope that this means they'll finally be able to provide a steadier flow of and also a larger amount of dvd releases, of the classic Shaws especially.

I completely missed that PDF :tongue: But yeah, I just checked it out, and it directly mentions Dragon Dynasty. Hopefully with Vivendi backing it, DD will come back to life in a better way than the lagging corner-cutting it was turning into. Guess the number of extras on Return to the 36th Chamber will be an indicator...

According to Asianblurayguide, All 3 36th Chamber films are getting released on bluray in France (without English subs). I'll bet Disciples will get released eventually.

I saw this as well. Hopefully with Vivendi and they backing we can finally get at the SHAW BROS titles DD has been sitting on. I for one would love them to release nothing but SHAW BROS films with the same quality of their first releases.

Oh well at least things are a little bit better these films seeing the light of day in Region 1.

I saw this as well. Hopefully with Vivendi and they backing we can finally get at the SHAW BROS titles DD has been sitting on. I for one would love them to release nothing but SHAW BROS films with the same quality of their first releases.

Oh well at least things are a little bit better these films seeing the light of day in Region 1.

True, I thought DD was pretty much done, let alone done with the SB films. Hopefully 36th Chamber won't be the only blu-ray... King Boxer damn it!

Well, it was my first full Shaw Brothers film (my dad taped The Duel [of the Iron Fist] on tv, but I hadn't watched it at the time), and one I remember my dad searched high and low for years ago. Problem was he looked everywhere under the "5 Fingers of Death" title, while at the time it was only released on video in the US as King Boxer. Of course, a year or two after that, bootlegs from Steeplechase used the King Boxer VHS as a source and released it on video and DVD as "5 Fingers of Death". Confusing :tongue:

But yeah, I will cross my fingers as hard as I can for KB/5FOD to get a blu-ray release!

My guess is 36th Chamber was their best seller standard definition DVD Shaw Bros release, so they decided to test the "blu waters" by releasing only that one first. That being said, I'm definitely picking that one up day one. Hopefully KB and One Armed Swordsman will make it too.

HK Flix is now listing a 2 DVD release of Return To The 36th Chamber from Vivendi for March 2, 2010 (no Blu-ray version listed yet though).

HK Flix is now listing a 2 DVD release of Return To The 36th Chamber from Vivendi for March 2, 2010 (no Blu-ray version listed yet though).

I saw that! If there are enough special features to warrant a separate disc...:tongue:!!!

I want to buy all this stuff before I die!:xd:

Killer Meteor
2-disc for RETURN? Odd. Unless they're sticking on DISCIPLES as a bonus?

2 disc sets would be ideal. Get twice as many films out there. They're doing no good sitting on a shelf in the DD offices.

2-disc for RETURN? Odd. Unless they're sticking on DISCIPLES as a bonus?

Well, they did it with Royal Tramp... could be the "36th Chamber Sequel Collection" :tongue:

Archived