Soul Brothers of Kung Fu "New School" clip

OldPangYau

Here's something I experimented with recently:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="

"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

I decided to do the opposite of abbotwhite's "old school Crouching Tiger", and add new sound effects and a new score to a clip from Soul Brothers of Kung Fu... and it's a "hybrid clip", as it features footage from the uncut print to fit with the widescreen cut print. Eh, it's experimental, but let me know what you think... meanwhile, time for me to get to bed! :tongue:

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm a big fan of this film,cool sound track, great cast and one of Bruce Li's best.......good job with the clip. :wink:

Thanks! I thought about using "Nest" for this fight scene for a while, simply just adding it to the old sound effects track... but then the day before Thanksgiving, I had some free time and started experimenting with sound effects... and this was the result!

Actually the new wave soundz don't sound too bad, still can't beat the old skool "Thwack"

like what you did with the cut bits-clever.

shame Eternal never sold their films for DVD, I'd love to see the Billy's and the Li's in crsip mint qual,

among some of the best films in the whole martial arts movie genre. IMO

Actually the new wave soundz don't sound too bad, still can't beat the old skool "Thwack"

shame Eternal never sold their films for DVD, I'd love to see the Billy's and the Li's in crsip mint qual,

I agree 100%

Thanks for the feedback! And yeah, I contemplated what to do for the cut footage, and I settled on doing "layers", with the full screen footage matched as best as possible to where it should appear on a widescreen print, then a second layer underneath stretch-blurred to fit. And seriously, Eternal Film needs to do something with their films!

I have to say that was really well done. Kudos.

Any chance you could do that for the other "uncut" scenes?

Thanks, and I might try to make a "deleted footage montage" to post later on. Even the extended "final blow" is in better quality from the source I have than the one shown after the Xenon version... even better pan and scanning (Xenon "alternate ending" was overcropped).

That's a ton better than what Celestial did with some of the Shaws' remasters!

:bigsmile:

You avatar sucks though.:wink:

If you mean how they used to "remix" their audio, then I have to pat myself on the back and agree :tongue: I don't think new sound effects are bad as long as there are two things:

1. An option to hear the original sound effects

2. The track with new sound effects REPLACES the old sound effects, NOT just laid overtop the old. For a perfect example of sound replacement, see the Platinum Edition of Scarface. All new sound effects, but they replaced the old ones... NO overlaying new ones.

And blasphemy upon my avatar? For shame! :wink: I am thinking of making something new, but nothing's leapt out to me yet. Well, it looks like I'm snowed in today (had plans too... ugh...), so maybe now I can come up with something :tongue:

thedirtytiger

I agree with shapes, imagine Fistful Of Talons and Soul Brothers Of Kung Fu in wide high def on your big screen - what a night in that would be !!!!!

Archived