can anybody tell me the name of this movie?

xyellomello

I saw a movie years ago on U.S.A. networks kung fu theater and I was wondering if anyone could help me find the name. The main character is extremely buck-toothed. A gang of thugs attacks his village regularly, and he vows to go to the nearby shaolin temple to learn from the monks. When he arrives, the monks refuse to teach him but let him stay as a janitor. Over time, he learns from the monks just by watching them as he works, eventually becoming a kung-fu master without even knowing it. The monks then send him back to his village, where he teaches the thugs a lesson. This is a great movie, and if anybody can tell me the name, I would appreciate it.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
sounds like Return to the 36...but i dont remember GL being extremley buck tooth lol

I think that Hsiao Ho may have played GL's friend, and that he may have been wearing big buck teeth. Maybe xyellomello blended the two characters together as memory of the film faded?

Definitely has to be Return to the 36th Chamber, or as the USA title indicated, Return of the Master Killer. Was on the USA Network in the Summer of 1992, when every Friday and Saturday that summer, they would play Shaw Brothers Movies.

Bob is right. Hsiao Ho played the big buck-toothed friend of conman Gordon Liu, who soon realizes that he has learned kung fu while cleaning up the Shaolin Temple. Lee King-Chu played Sante and Wei Pai played GL's brother. There were Wang Lung-Wei, Chiang Tao, and Kwon Young-Moon as the Manchus. This was the first film I saw with Kwon Young-Moon and was impressed with his kicking.

Favorite lines, dubbed in English.

Kwon Young-Moon, shocked by GL's learning of kung fu: "Real kung fu?"

Gordon's response: "Of course it is. It's my new style."

Archived