So will upgrading to an HDTV make my celestials look worse?

Sandpalm79

I remember that when i brought my celestial collection over to my friends in 2007, i brought my region free player and some celestials. like 26th chamber and i think invincible shaolin. they looked quite blurry on his hdtv! not even half as sharp as on my standard tv ( think its called crt?) so if i get an hdtv will it always look this blurry since these movies arent designed for Hd?

i mean i also wondered if it was because they were early releases from an early batch? didnt they get better? ( not sure if the movies i brought to his house were even anamorphic) but anyway.

is there anyway on big hdtvs to set it so it isnt stretched? like maybe put bars on the sides and top to keep it sharp? any info be great. cause i want to get an hdtv bad but i am worried that all my celestials will look like crap.

what has been your experience with this problem and what have you done as a workaround?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Markgway

Standard definition will not look as good on HDTV as HD source material. That's a given. But if your DVD player upscales to 1080 then they will still look good - unless the mastering or print is subpar. HD makes good quality better but can also show up poorer quality in a way that CRT sets wont. That includes many Celestials which were subject to uneven mastering. I believe that the early anamorphic batches from IVL were particularly poor but can't specify titles. The Shaws from DD on the other hand should look excellent.

i think i have the same problem and sometimes i think they add colour. so possibly.

What Markgway said is correct, but you should also note it's very important how you connect your dvd player to your HDTV. Scart will look pretty poor on HDTV, whereas if you connect an upscaling dvd player using HDMI cable, you should get just as good, if not better, picture quality is you did before. I have a philips upscaler connected via HDMI and the picture quality is crisp and sharp. It's always worth paying a small amount extra for a decent upscaling dvd player and a good quality HDMI cable.

Killer Meteor

Bare in mind that the Celestials are PAL-NTSC so have a lot of ghosting due to blurred frames that cannot be removed. This doesn't apply to the Dragon Dynasty or media Blasters ones as they are genuine NTSC

thanks for the info guys... is the playstation 3 a good upscaler?

Not sure as I don't have one, but another thing to consider is this: is the PS3 region-free for dvd? If you want to play back region code 3 dvds, you'll need a region-free player.

thanks for the info guys... is the playstation 3 a good upscaler?

PS3 is not a good upscaler and often has problems reading DVD-/+R.

Not sure as I don't have one, but another thing to consider is this: is the PS3 region-free for dvd? If you want to play back region code 3 dvds, you'll need a region-free player.

PS3 are not region free for DVD and North American models only read NTSC and the European Models only read PAL.

PS3 are not region free for DVD and North American models only read NTSC and the European Models only read PAL.

That's what I thought, yet I belive its games are region-free. Go figure. The PS2 was also region-locked, but you could use an action replay disc to boot foreign movies. I remember using it to watch my One-Armed Swordsman trilogy boxset. Good times.:bigsmile:

oops.. yeah of course thats true about ps3. dont know what i was thinking. i have the koss 35 or something i bought in 2002.. i really enjoy it. but its not an hd player. what is the best upscaling dh player to watch shaws on an hdtv?

Well, I have a philips dvp 5960. There is a very simple hack to make it region-free and it's a very good player for the price. Also plays Divx movies.

Well, I have a philips dvp 5960. There is a very simple hack to make it region-free and it's a very good player for the price. Also plays Divx movies.

ok cool. so 2 questions.

1. the hack doesnt involve installing any chips or physical mods?

2. Does this player play blu ray or at least does it upscale dvds for hd tv?

oops.. yeah of course thats true about ps3. dont know what i was thinking. i have the koss 35 or something i bought in 2002.. i really enjoy it. but its not an hd player. what is the best upscaling dh player to watch shaws on an hdtv?

Oppo DV-980H is worth every penny!

Oppo DV-981HD and HELIOS H4000 HD are excellent also.

These babies read everything.

Have one of those too. Very good for the price.

ok cool. so 2 questions.

1. the hack doesnt involve installing any chips or physical mods?

2. Does this player play blu ray or at least does it upscale dvds for hd tv?

Here is the hack:

1. Turn the player on and open the tray

2. Press "Setup" on the remote

3. Go right until you get to the "Preferences" page

4. Enter 138931 using the remote. The region code will appear

5. Use the up and down buttons to select region, or 0 for region free

6. Press "Setup" then "OK" on the remote

That's all you need do to make it region-free. Secondly, it's not a bluray player, but it upscales to 1080 via HDMI. Hope that helps.

Its very important that the tv is set up correctly, especially for HD. Most people and stores for that matter have brightness and contrast far too high so the picture looks terrible.

Its worth buying or renting a calibration disc if you buy a new tv to set it up properly.

REGION FREE BLU RAY DISCS HERE

Guest WuxiaFan
Oppo DV-980H is worth every penny!

Oppo DV-981HD and HELIOS H4000 HD are excellent also.

These babies read everything.

Agree! I love my 981. Any Oppo player is awesome.

I use a Pioneer DV-410V. It's a very nice upscaling DVD player that can easily be made region-free and also does a excellent job converting PAL to NTSC.

Archived