Reign of Assassins (2010)

Drunken Monk

One Armed Boxer

Finally got around to watching this a few days ago....great movie! Definitely one of the best from recent years. The movie featured wirework which was amazingly creative and beautiful, possibly the best I`ve seen since `Swordsman 2`, which is how it should be....instead of being cheaply used to add a few extra inches to someones flying kick or make an unnecessarily exaggerated jump.

I also really enjoyed the story, it had an element of mystery to it which is so uncommon in martial arts movies these days, even among the wuxia genre, it was refreshing to see.

I'm looking forward to seeing this one as well, and from reading all the previous comments, I hope when they eventually release the DVD they'll feature the quote on the cover - 'Hero' meets 'Iron Monkey' meets 'Transformers'

Ok my prediction didn`t come true, but I think what they actually did decide to go with could be considered worse - "Reign of Assassins is a wuxia style-martial arts actioner in the same vein as CROUCHING TIGER HIDDEN DRAGON, but laced with suspense, romance and revenge; a combination of FACE/OFF and MR. AND MRS. SMITH." - oh dear.

That's a mighty broad brush you're painting with...:ooh:

...example of some good American martial arts films (IMO):

THE TRANSPORTER

Cool, but The Transporter is a french film. ;)

• Administrator
Cool, but The Transporter is a french film. ;)

Actually, it's a France/USA co-production. So you're both right.

Have to agree, O-AB, your blurbs are funny man! I've been wanting to rewatch REIGN again as I enjoyed it so much the first time.

ShaOW!linDude
Michelle Yeoh's age is beginning to show.

no, No, NO, NOOOO! Say it ain't so, say it ain't so!

You take that back!!!:tongue:

• Like 1

Michelle Yeoh's age is beginning to show.

I think she still looks and moves great. ShaOW!linDude have no fear. She's still a very beautiful woman.:smile:

• Buddha Bless You 1

I think she still looks and moves great. ShaOW!linDude have no fear. She's still a very beautiful woman.:smile:

Agreed.

Sorry ShaOW!linDude, didn't mean to upset you.

:crossedlips:

Watched the movie a few times over the past few days...I found it to be great...nicely executed plot twists and exhilarating action courtesy of Tung Wei.Michelle Yeoh and Jung Woo-Sung displayed great chemistry on screen together. Shawn Yue was great as one of the villains. Overall, a great film.

Just watched this a couple days ago, going in with expectations of a normal historical sword film like Three Kingdoms, 14 Blades, Seven Swords, etc. I was really, really impressed with everything about this film. Michelle Yeoh was great, as were all the supporting cast, especially Jung Woo-Sung. Even though they used a lot of wires, I like that it wasn't for vertical enhancements like jumping, delivering 5 kicks and then landing awkwardly. Looked more like horizontal and circular shifts, which seemed to flow really nicely. The fight between the monk and Kelly Lin was especially well done. Only thing I couldn't get used to was Michelle's voice being dubbed over. At first I thought I had the wrong audio track but eventually I figured what was going on. :nerd:

Watching the special features, it seemed like they cut a lot of scenes out. Hopefully these can be worked into a sequel/prequel as there seemed to be a lot of secondary characters that could be worked into an expanded storyline.

In my opinion, this is the most I've enjoyed a wuxia film since CTHD.

btw, the blu-ray looks really fantastic, definitely worth getting if you plan on owning the film.

• Like 1

blue_skies

I was about to post does anyone know that this has finally been released in the UK but I see it has been posted here. I was surprised to see it in my local supermarket of all places!

I remembering correctly that this has been cut for Western audiences? And if so how much and what content is missing?

ShawAngela

I watched Reign of assassins 2010 this evening.

What a superb movie! I can't believe that I have waited for so long to get it and to watch it!

The Korean actor playing Michelle Yeoh's husband looks very much like Chin Han!

There are a lot of good fights, and several twists in the plot that make this movie worth to watch, and the ending song is excellent.