Reign of Assassins (2010)

Drunken Monk

gwailosforever

It's stated that the Reign of Assassins Blu-Ray is locked to Region A, but as it's a Mega Star release there is a good chance it will be region free. Can anybody confirm either way?

Watched this a few days ago,Bought it on dvd. I liked it,great fight scenes and characters each having their own little something. Wheel king was cool but his motivation was rather amusing.

I watched two movies recently, this Reign Of Assassins and Donnie Yen's Chen Zhen movie. I expected to enjoy Chen Zhen more, but it turned out the other way around. Reign of Assassins was fantastic, with great acting, direction, script, a very original story, etc. Sadly Chen Zhen was dull, cliched, the direction and editing awful, a tired old "japanese vs chinese" story that we've seen hundreds of times before. We need more movies like Reign of Swords, ones that approach the genre with intelligence and respect for its heritage. Well done to all involved.

Jung Woo-Sung who starred in this movie is an excellent Actor, I think all of his movies that he has starred in are Great, ex: Musa, The Good The Bad and The Weird, The Restless Sword aka The Restless. The Koreans Actors are really making a big impact in HK movies. Now we have Jang Dong-Gun who starred in The Warrior's Way I would love to see them star in a movie with Donnie Yen or even Jet Li.

While it has a couple sublime fight scenes, I went in with too high expectations. Michelle either looked too old for her role or they should have paired her with an older man. As it was, it looked like a high school student putting the moves on someone's mom. The movie could have cut down the time spent building their romance. But aside from those complaints, I did like the movie. It made good use of wuxia tropes and the fights were good to amazing.

Definitely worth seeing if you're a wuxia fan, but it's not like an updated Chu Yuan/Gu Long wuxia that I had hoped it would be.

Korean martial arts film generally suck. Actually, all of them..:). However, with the help of the Chinese, they do pretty well. Even in English versions with Japanese culture, though not as good, is still better than Korean. The warrior's way was a pretty good/decent movie. However, seeing this guy in The Promise and Warrior's way, he hasn't proven himself a martial artist. He only did moves that anybody could have done. Unfortunately, for Asians, especially the men, in order to get exposure to the west, they do Martial Arts film. However, how far can you go if you don't really do martial arts?

Jung Woo-Sung who starred in this movie is an excellent Actor, I think all of his movies that he has starred in are Great, ex: Musa, The Good The Bad and The Weird, The Restless Sword aka The Restless. The Koreans Actors are really making a big impact in HK movies. Now we have Jang Dong-Gun who starred in The Warrior's Way I would love to see them star in a movie with Donnie Yen or even Jet Li.

I don't see why some people have to cry and be upset when I'm only stating my opinion. I think Chinese martial arts film and some Japanese are great. Koreans on the other hand are not good at all. Americans suck too, though not as much as Korean. Only good ones with Koreans are the non-Korean films. I wish I can state a negative opinion without people crying and being upset.

not_again_cat.jpg

kingofkungfu2002
I wish I can state a negative opinion without people crying and being upset.

Crying? Upset?...Really, don't flatter yourself :neutral:

You just seem to have a real downer on anything Korean for some strange, unknown reason :ooh:

• Administrator

I have to agree with "King". Yes, it's good that we can all voice our opinion. But it is a bit of a goaner that you have (again) repeated this harsh, negative opinion. And that's just how I feel. I'm not offended, and I hope you enjoy what you do enjoy. But after hearing you state this a couple of times already, I do feel like "Yeah, okay, we heard you. Next".

Back on topic- I was thrilled to see Michelle Yeoh back on the big screen in a wuxipan film. I loved it! Thanks Emeraldforest for sending me your copy! It's one of my favorites of the year, and I look forward to watching it again soon.

Guest WuxiaFan
Korean martial arts film generally suck. Actually, all of them

That's a mighty broad brush you're painting with...:ooh:

THE CITY OF VIOLENCE

MUSA: THE WARRIOR

SHAWDOWLESS SWORD

FIGHTER IN THE WIND

:yociexp44:

Americans suck too, though not as much as Korean. Only good ones with Koreans are the non-Korean films. I wish I can state a negative opinion without people crying and being upset.

Your statements don't sound like opinions, they're just derogatory and idiotic. Here's an example of some good American martial arts films (IMO):

ENTER THE DRAGON

BLACK DYNAMITE

BLOOD AND BONE

DRIVE

DOGS OF CHINATOWN

CONTOUR

KISS OF THE DRAGON

NINJA ASSASSIN

REDBELT

THE TRANSPORTER

UNDER SIEGE

UNDER SIEGE 2: DARK TERRITORY

UNDISPUTED II: LAST MAN STANDING

UNDISPUTED III: REDEMPTION

THE PERFECT WEAPON

STREET KNIGHT

REVENGE OF THE NINJA

:neutral:

Guest WuxiaFan
Definitely worth seeing if you're a wuxia fan

THAT WOULD BE ME!! :bigsmile:

Thanks Emeraldforest for sending me your copy! It's one of my favorites of the year, and I look forward to watching it again soon.

Man, I wish my copy would come...guess it's in the mail...right KFB?

:29_003:

sen_pai Not to get into a big drawn out debate what is wrong with Korean films which ones did you see that you didn't like? I think Musa is a great film, and I know I'm not alone in saying so!

Yeah, I saw Musa...horrible.

sen_pai Not to get into a big drawn out debate what is wrong with Korean films which ones did you see that you didn't like? I think Musa is a great film, and I know I'm not alone in saying so!

I think in general, American martial arts films tend to suck, but there is a lot of good ones as well. The ones you listed, I wouldn't disagree with. However, I think all Korean martial arts film suck. The good ones tend to be a colloboration or made by other countries.

Why do people have to have a problem with it? Why can't I express my opinion without hearing people cry? I hear many Korean fans cry when American remakes their movies, and I have no problem with that but when I say I don't like Korean martial arts, I always have to deal with people criticizing me? Why can't people just let it be.

That's a mighty broad brush you're painting with...:ooh:

THE CITY OF VIOLENCE

MUSA: THE WARRIOR

SHAWDOWLESS SWORD

FIGHTER IN THE WIND

:yociexp44:

Your statements don't sound like opinions, they're just derogatory and idiotic. Here's an example of some good American martial arts films (IMO):

ENTER THE DRAGON

BLACK DYNAMITE

BLOOD AND BONE

DRIVE

DOGS OF CHINATOWN

CONTOUR

KISS OF THE DRAGON

NINJA ASSASSIN

REDBELT

THE TRANSPORTER

UNDER SIEGE

UNDER SIEGE 2: DARK TERRITORY

UNDISPUTED II: LAST MAN STANDING

UNDISPUTED III: REDEMPTION

THE PERFECT WEAPON

STREET KNIGHT

REVENGE OF THE NINJA

:neutral:

I've watched Korean martial arts film and all of them sucked. It's not an unknown reason, it's because it sucks. That's why Korean martial arts film aren't known. At the most, Western productions take Korean stars who are more marketable and develop a new film that is usually based on non-Korean culture. Korean entertainment has been in a wave...the korean wave....and martial arts isn't part of that wave..lol.

Crying? Upset?...Really, don't flatter yourself :neutral:

You just seem to have a real downer on anything Korean for some strange, unknown reason :ooh:

Yeah, I saw Musa...horrible.

sen_pai: You have stated your case, while I disagree with you 100% you're right to state how you feel. You might come off really harsh & brutal towards Korean films but again that is your right.

I never thought "Fighter In The Wind" was so great despite it garnering a lot of praise. It may have been a result of them demonstrating the brutality of that style, but I remember a lot of one-hitter-quitter type scenes and some 300-style slow-mo. It didn't really do much for me.

I never thought "Fighter In The Wind" was so great despite it garnering a lot of praise. It may have been a result of them demonstrating the brutality of that style, but I remember a lot of one-hitter-quitter type scenes and some 300-style slow-mo. It didn't really do much for me.

Charuto: See I did enjoy Fighter in the Wind a lot yes it was a little slow at times but it had a great storyline.

ShaOW!linDude

daisho2004 and Charuto ------- I have to agree withe both of you about Fighter In The Wind.

I really enjoyed the movie. Just great acting and handling of the story. Loved the cinematography.

The fight choreography.........hmmm. I liked it but at the same time wished there would have been a little more. I liked the one-hitter-quitter types. But for some I'd hoped for more of a mix-up. Really the only fight I remember having qualms with was..........SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!........when fighting the ninja the two of them fall into the water. After a minute they come out and the ninja is beaten. I hate when that happens in a movie. It's such a lame, cheap way to get out of choreographing a fight scene.

Just got the Blu ray of Reign Of Assasins, great quality, locked to Region A. Also got the Taiwan Blu ray of Shadowless Sword..Fantastic Korean film and a great quality Blu ray.

HONG KONG MOVIE POSTERS FOR SALE..

I've watched Korean martial arts film and all of them sucked. It's not an unknown reason, it's because it sucks. That's why Korean martial arts film aren't known. At the most, Western productions take Korean stars who are more marketable and develop a new film that is usually based on non-Korean culture. Korean entertainment has been in a wave...the korean wave....and martial arts isn't part of that wave..lol.

while I can't say I'm the biggest fan of Korean Cinema and of the few Korean movies that I have seen haven't had the best fight sequences. They have made some truly fantastic martial-arts movies such as Bichunmoo, Fighter in the wind and Shadowless Sword. In fact I rate them amongst a lot of my all-time favourites which is extremely high praise for someone who's not a fan of wirework.

I have to say in recent years I have also come to have a greater respect for American martial-arts Cinema. With the likes of Contour, Drive, Extreme Heist and the fucking awesome Broken Path demonstrating that they can make martial-arts Cinema as good as anyone even with low budgets.

Absolutely loved Musa although haven't seen it for a couple years now. Also fond of Bichunmoo. Wasn't quite so into Shadowless Sword but really digged The Duelist.