Reign of Assassins (2010)

Drunken Monk

I finally got round to watching this last night and, in my opinion, it's one of the best modern martial arts films I've seen. It bests "Ip Man," "Gallants," "Bad Blood" etc. with its blend of likable, well formed characters and incredible action.

My wife loved it too. It's nice to see that Michelle Yeoh hasn't aged and it's nice to have a film in which wire work contributes to the fights, rather than taking away from them. The action is wonderful.

It also fueled a flame to watch more Wuxia. Seek this out and you shouldn't be disappointed.

Drunken Monk: where did you get you copy of it from? I've been trying to pick it up I'm dying to see this movie.

A friend actually had a copy he downloaded online and I borrowed that. It's wildly available all over the internet...illegally. I don't think the DVD is out yet.

[farnsworth]

Good news, everyone!

[/farnsworth]

...the essentials seem to have gone satisfyingly right in the collaboration between Taiwan's Su Chao-pin and a resurgent, post-"Red Cliff" John Woo. "Reign" should please local crowds starting Sept. 28, but will undergo some tinkering before opening Stateside as a Weinstein release.

So, you know, fuck that shit.

It doesn't need tinkering. It's utterly straight forward entertainment. There's nothing western audiences won't understand!

Fucking Weinsteins.

Morgoth Bauglir

Weinsteins can do whatever they want to this movie. Put in a rap soundtrack, cut it by 30 minutes, they can even splice in a cameo from tarantino. But they better include the original movie too.

I just watched Reign Of Assassins. It's widely available in Chinatown with burned in subs. The choreography was excellent, and the story brought me back to old Shaw Bros wuxia films. Michelle Yeoh is ageless. I wish she had more lead roles. I enjoyed this more than many recent films. The romantic elements are played up a bit too much for my taste, but the sword play satisfied. Not to give too much away, the movie is about martial artists fighting over the remains of an ancient monk. The corpse is supposed to hold secrets that can give a person mastery over the martial world.

Some people have complained about the film's length, but the 2 hrs flew by for me. I liked this better than The Banquet. I hope Reign gets a theatrical release!

I just watched Reign Of Assassins. It's widely available in Chinatown with burned in subs. The choreography was excellent, and the story brought me back to old Shaw Bros wuxia films. Michelle Yeoh is ageless. I wish she had more lead roles. I enjoyed this more than many recent films. The romantic elements are played up a bit too much for my taste, but the sword play satisfied. Not to give too much away, the movie is about martial artists fighting over the remains of an ancient monk. The corpse is supposed to hold secrets that can give a person mastery over the martial world.

Some people have complained about the film's length, but the 2 hrs flew by for me. I liked this better than The Banquet. I hope Reign gets a theatrical release!

I agree with you HAZ, this film did have that old school feel to it. I really liked this film a lot. I think this is Michelle Yeoh's best performance since "Supercop".....................Highly recommended!

The Amazing Psycho Per
Not to give too much away, the movie is about martial artists fighting over the remains of an ancient monk.

It's not "an ancient monk", it's Bodhidarma.:nerd: (It's not giving to much away, it's one of the first thing said in the movie)

I also liked it. You have to remember it's a wuxia, so a lot of wires are used... But there are some nice things shown here and there in the fights. I expected things to go a little more epic then the way the movie developped to it's conclusion, but it's certainly one of the better HK movie in recent memory. The part under the bridge in the end is just such pure evil.:wink:

Guest WuxiaFan
Official DVDs released by Opus Media last week.

The DVD9 edition carry English subtitles:

PAL / Letterbox 16:9

Disc SID is IFPI AEC04

Who's carrying them? :ooh:

Do you have a link? :squigglemouth:

Guys, I made a review earlier that was generally positive, with some negatives, but that was because I saw it without subs. Now that I have seen it with subs, I just want to change my review.

The movie is AWESOME! It's AMAZING! The story was very good and entertaining. Unlike most martial arts movies, I felt that the story stood on its down. I found myself more into the story and sometimes forgot that it was a martial arts movie. One good thing about the movie is that it's also a romantic comedy, and it's funny as hell. I'm sure that women will love that aspect. Of course, the fighting is freaknig amazing. I also said in my earlier review that the music and characters wasn't all that great. The music is good, not great like True Legend, but very good. As for the characters, all of them are great.

No doubt that this is the best martial arts movie of the year, and one of the best ever. I would say I like it better than Ip Man. Ip Man is awesome, but the movie was really all about the fighting. In this movie, fighting and story each stood on their own.

Guest WuxiaFan
That seller is legit. You can probably get it cheaper on Buyoyo though.

it's a legit seller eh

It looks like an auction site and I've never bought from there before, so I'm going to wait unitl a retailer like dddhouse or yesasia get it. Thanks for clarifying. :angel:

I finally got to watch this movie last night and I loved it, Jung Woo-Sung & Michelle Yeoh were awesome! Michelle Yeoh looks ageless. The only thing I was kinda disappointed with was that Jung Woo-Sung didn't have more fight scenes. I was waiting for the showdown with him and the Wheel King, but it never happened. Still a great movie.

HA! I love that guy! This is my favorite movie of the year. Dude was so funny as hell. This movie just had everything in it. Great fighting, cute love story, comedy like Chucky from Child's play.

Wheel King's motivation was absurd, funny, tragic, gross...