Reign of Assassins (2010)

Drunken Monk

One Armed Boxer

Looks like it could be good....I just hope Michelle Yeoh's role isn't another throwaway one like in 'True Legend' and 'Fearless'...she deserves more!

Brand new trailer...

xGZQjA6avZ8

The action looks like 1990's wire-fu with obvious nods to "Crouching Tiger..." I think those who don't like the wire aspect of martial arts should definitely avoid this one!

Me? I think it looks pretty great.

Yang Wu Liang

I'm looking forward to this now thanks Drunken Monk, looks my kind of film!

About 1 minute into the trailer it proudly states "The first martial Arts Actioner from John Woo" :nerd::crossedlips::squigglemouth::tongue:

They just screened it at the Sala Grande film festival. Looks like they screened Donnie Yen's Chen Zhen as well. Here's a review (Man I need to move...)

http://www.obsessedwithfilm.com/reviews/venice-2010-review-john-woos-reign-of-assassins.php

Source - http://www.filmbiz.asia/reviews/reign-of-assassins

Producer John Woo was reportedly on set the whole time, offering advice to Su, though there's no real trace of a Woo "signature" in the film. The Chinese end credits read "A film by John Woo (吳宇森製作). Directed and written by Su Chao-pin". The official English credits read "Directed by Su Chao-pin. Co-directed by John Woo".

The other-worldly, flexible sword in the beginning of the trailer gets points from me. I've always thought that was the coolest thing since seeing it in "Saviour of the Soul" way back when.

Just saw it guys. No real spoilers.

First, I do not understand Chinese, but i'll give a general view. The story looks like it mostly revolve around the fights. The story leads to butt kicking. Unlike Chen Zhen which looks like a story that happens to have some fighting. This is a true martial arts flick. You can leave brain at the door and see plenty of butt kicking. It's not overloaded like "True Legend, Hero, or 14 Blades", but enough.

The fighting is so freaking fast and amazing. It's the Michael Bay of martial arts! Unfortunately, it's strength has weakness as well. Just like Michael Bay, so many close ups and fast cuts, but not bad like Bay. The fighting is mostly special effects, wires, and gimmicks. There's no real raw fighting here. Compare it to Hero on steroids.

The music kinda suck. Nothing beautiful like "True Legend".

Story is more local and dealing with indivduals. It doesn't have that empire or army vs army feel to it.

No amazing character like the drunk dude in True Legend.

This move is below my expectation (I had high ones), but i'm very satisfied. I prefer movies that are overloaded with action like 14 Blades, and True Legend. Thsi movie isn't overloaded enough, but good enough. Not disapointed at all. Look forward to the DVD.

Drunken Monk

I'll have to try this myself. "The Michael Bay of martial arts" sends a shiver up my spine. A shiver of dread, not spasmodic glee.

Plus, "True Legend" had awful characters and was a pretty dire film but I'll try to value your opinion Sen Pai.

Either way, I'm excited for this one.

It's the Michael Bay of martial arts! Unfortunately, it's strength has weakness as well. Just like Michael Bay, so many close ups and fast cuts, but not bad like Bay.

I just threw up in my mouth.

I believe that I'm giving a general opinion that most people may agree with. I know some people here may tend to like classics better and have more knowedge, such as having a pop star Jay Chou in True Legend as not being a good fit. I think your average person do not care about that. I'm more of the average fan that like it more than the average person, but not hardcore enough to go through the archives. Your average person is going to like or love this film. Harder core fans....it's up in the there.

Anyways, yeah, I had to say Michael Bay because it's does have the bad mark of Bay. It's just so freaking fast and so many closeups and cuts. Often too fast to enjoy, like Transformers, but still better.

May disapoint those that are looking for raw fighting. Nevertheless, a very cool film.

I'll have to try this myself. "The Michael Bay of martial arts" sends a shiver up my spine. A shiver of dread, not spasmodic glee.

Plus, "True Legend" had awful characters and was a pretty dire film but I'll try to value your opinion Sen Pai.

Either way, I'm excited for this one.

Drunken Monk

That looks incredible. Granted, the wire-work is on overdrive but it's amazingly stylish and I'm thoroughly impressed.

Just saw it. Incredible action. Action is a mix of wu xia and anime in it's feel. Incredible mix of straight chor., cgi and seriously great wire work. Never saw wire work like that in my life. Tung Wei is to be greatly commended. Wow.

Nothing was hard to see. Not too fast or too close. I could see and make everything out fine.

What I liked about this was that the movie as a whole was about the assassin characters. In that aspect, it felt a bit like Ninja Scroll. Different characters each with their own specific weapon. It was clear and distinct in the action display. This is where 7 Swords failed completely.

Legend Is Born - Ip Man and this have shown me that hot choreography can still be done. 2 best of the year.

I like this movie. The characters building were pretty good. And the wire works were done stylishly (far better than overdone True Legend).

Michelle Yeoh is such a good actress, both in fighting and acting.

This wuxia pian feels like old movies from King Hu. Also the bank robbery scene is quite interesting for me.

One Armed Boxer

I'm looking forward to seeing this one as well, and from reading all the previous comments, I hope when they eventually release the DVD they'll feature the quote on the cover - 'Hero' meets 'Iron Monkey' meets 'Transformers'