Ninja (2009) - Your thoughts?

Karlos

Hi all :smile:

Saw this today and I'm thinking of suing the makers of this under the Trade Description act, as it has very little "Ninja" in it at all!!

I found this to be a big let down after the wait (and liking what I saw in the trailer) - Scott Adkins, during the few, brief moments he gets to do his stuff, is good as ever and I hope he gets the star vehicle he deserves soon, because this isn't it.

Poor acting, cheap look and feel, almost no action - I hope you guys get more out of it when you catch it then I did. :squigglemouth:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

What?!:ooh: Oh no. Say it isn't so. How can the guy that directed UNDISPUTED 2 screw up a ninja movie starring Scott Adkins?

Damn man....thanks for the heads up. I was gonna get this film very soon as it sounded pretty damn cool. Think i'll choose something else instead!

Cheers.

One Armed Boxer

That's irony for you....for months people have been saying "who cares about 'Ninja Assassin' when Isaac Florentine's 'Ninja' is comnig out soon!"

Now when we finally have both on the table, site master Mark Pollard gives 'Ninja Assassin' a glowing review which actually makes me want to go and check it out, while the dedicated fans in the forum declare 'Ninja' as a disappointing let-down.

Kung Fu Bob is right when he stated that 'Ninja' is from the same director as 'Undisputed II'...but lets not forget it is also from the same director as 'The Shepherd: Border Patrol', another botched action attempt with Scott Adkins.

Oh no Karlos...you're killing me. I have been interested in and excited for this movie for some time now. I'll still give it a try I guess I'll go in with low expectations!!

Here's hoping UNDISPUTED 3 will be the star role Scott Adkins is worthy of!!

This wasn't as bad as some might say but it won't be as good as people expecting Scott Adkins to shine might think it's going to be.

I enjoyed it for what it was. Keep in mind that the film is about the art of ninja and is not about kung fu. I think the choreography stays true to some of the Japanese martial arts. There are a lot of arm locks, throws and some grapples. There is not a lot of shape-oriented fighting and, more surprisingly, the acrobatics are kept to a bare minimum.

That is not to say the movie is terrible. It’s a light hearted little romp with aspects of older ninja films present. It is frustrating at times, with Adkins doing more running from gun toting criminals than disarming and kicking the living shit out of them. It delivers on occasion – most notably the scene in The Ring’s headquarters where Adkins gets to really shine – but is mostly a lukewarm effort. I haven’t seen much of Adkins other than his stint against Wolverine but I’m now excited for “Undisputed 2” which I have waiting for me at home.

“Ninja” isn’t anything special but it’s not entirely flawed. It’s enjoyable if you keep your expectations low and just go along for the ride. If you expect Adkins’ typical acrobatic madness and full on fighting then you may leave “Ninja” feeling very disappointed.

Morgoth Bauglir

I was getting this movie and NInja Assassin mixed up. I didn't realize there was TWO of them. Man I feel stupid reading this thread. But hey, now I know:tongue:

Is this on DVD?

• Administrator
I was getting this movie and NInja Assassin mixed up. I didn't realize there was TWO of them. Man I feel stupid reading this thread. But hey, now I know:tongue:

Is this on DVD?

"And knowing is half the battle!" :bigsmile: I couldn't resist. Hey dude, you're not stupid. There are so many movies, anyone could get confused. And who'd of thought that suddenly in 2009 there'd be two new ninja movies?! :smile: Maybe humankind IS moving forward? :xd:

NINJA isn't out on DVD in the USA yet, but it may have had it's official release already in the UK. I'm not sure.

ShaOW!linDude
I like Scott Adkins but I hated the movie Ninja!

It wasn't as good as or exactly what I expected but I thought it was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than most of what comes out.

• Administrator

NINJA wasn't disappointing enough to wipe away the awesomeness of his performances in UNDISPUTED 2 and 3! The guy is incredible. I can't wait to see this new one. Also, I love that he's so skilled, but from what I've heard is a really nice, modest guy. Very cool.

Like I said a hundred times already how can you have a movie about Ninjas, when there aren't any Fricking Ninjas in the Movie!!!!!!!!

Throw Me a Bone Here OK! All I want is Sharks with Laser Beams on their Heads!

Like I said a hundred times already how can you have a movie about Ninjas, when there aren't any Fricking Ninjas in the Movie!!!!!!!!

I would give Ninja a 6.5 - 7 outta 10. It was still somewhat enjoyable for the most part, but Ninja Assasain beat Adkins' movie in almost every way dispite him being more skilled than Rain.

I would give Ninja a 6.5 - 7 outta 10. It was still somewhat enjoyable for the most part, but Ninja Assasain beat Adkins' movie in almost every way dispite him being more skilled than Rain.

Lionclaw: Man ur being too generous with that rating! I don't even think I gave it a 4 of out 10 rating! Atleast Rain fit the part and it stayed true to being a Ninja movie. And don't get me wrong I do like Scott Adkins.

Lionclaw: Man ur being too generous with that rating! I don't even think I gave it a 4 of out 10 rating! Atleast Rain fit the part and it stayed true to being a Ninja movie. And don't get me wrong I do like Scott Adkins.

I agree with you Rain looked the part in Ninja Assassin that he sold me on playing that role of a Ninja that made me have alot of respect for him. As Scott Adkins yes he's an amazing Martial Artist and one hell of a kicker, but comparing Scoot with Rain is like me comparing Jaden Smith with Nicholas Tse which not fair for me to do.

I think I prefered NINJA to Ninja Assassin, I enjoyed Ninja Assassin,but its over use of special effects in the fight scenes kind of detached me from the film,and the whole 'shes special' with her heart business was abit lame.

Cant wait for this new film,Adkins is the man.

ShaOW!linDude

I think I have to side with IgaNinja on this.

I preferred the story to NINJA ASSASSIN to that of NINJA but the action/choreography of NINJA to that of NINJA ASSASSIN.

NA had some great f/x but the fights were soooo fast sometimes as to be incomprehensible. And come on! It had Sho Kosugi in it and he didn't really even get a chance to throwdown until the end and then it was all mystical for the most part. But I love this movie. I caught this on the big screen and when I got home the Mrs asked how it was. With a big ol' smile on my face I said, "It was a bloodbath!"

NINJA wasn't exactly all I'd hoped for but it had some great choreography in it though it didn't quite rank with UNDISPUTED 2. And it's just a pet peeve of mine when ninjas wear body armor like some video game character.

Personally I'd have preferred more classical style fighting, both hand-to-hand and weapons, in both.

But hey! 2 good ninja movies in the same year? Can't beat that, brothers.

OK I'm going to say this again! You cannot call a movie about Ninjas without any Ninjas in it! Its going to kill me but I'm going to have to watch this movie again now! :cry:

:bigsmile: Any and every movie in my collection is at least a six which to me is watchable. Lower than that is getting into Dragon Ball and Legend Of Chun Li territory which I gave 3s and 2s. Sure Ninja Assasain killed Ninja in almost everyway, sure Scott was doing the played out white ninja thing, and sure there was only one "true ninja" in this movie, but have a seen much worse? Yes. So that aside I think your being a bit too harsh. No offence. The action scenes were no where near as good as Undisputed 2-3 but I'd say they were passable, although the final battle dissapointed me the most because I expected so much more.

Archived