Guys, Need Help With Good Recent Kung-Fu Movies

ChenZhen

I thought Vincent Zhao had retired from the industry. Has he made any more quality martial-arts films in recent years ? Either way you have intrigued me to add this to my wanted list.:xd: I also agree The Blade is well worth watching!

Zhao is slated to play Beggar Su in the new epic, True Legend:

by2AP26NeHY

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dragon, when is true legend due on DVD? That looks extremely promising and if my eyes didn't fail me that was Michelle Yeoh! :xd:

By the way thanks for embedding the video so I could see it. For whatever reason I can't seem to see videos on youTube? Even after getting the latest Java download. It doesn't make sense that I can see these videos if they're embedded on a page in a forum such as this but not at the source page.

I enjoyed Fatal Contact. It's not the most well put together film but the action sequences are superb and it's a nice Wu Jing vehicle. Highly recommended.

I also watched The Rebel recently which I was blown away by. Even if the film didn't have the choreography it did, it would still be a fantastic watch. Throw in the incredible action and you're good to go. It's certainly one of the better modern martial arts movies I've seen.

You may enjoy The Stunt People's first feature length film, Contour. It's shoddily made with a dismal script and plot but the fights are orgasmic. If you can make it through the weak attempts at comedy and similar content, you'll be treated to some amazing action.

Every man, woman and their dog will tell you Ip Man, Fearless and Ong Bak 2 are worth watching. They're right. They may have their mild flaws here and there but all three are just so damn enjoyable.

I have to watch Flashpoint again but I can tell you it has one of the greatest end fights modern cinema has ever seen.

Versus has its moments. It isn't exactly polished and far from being a strict martial arts film but the action is highly enjoyable with some great sword work towards the end.

Can I just say that I loved Seven Swords? It was a bit of a convoluted mess but the action makes up for it. Donnie Yen's final fight in a rather tight alley had me cheering.

I plan on watching Legendary Assassin over the weekend. I'm positive I'll be disappointed as most reviews say it's pretty shoddy but I'll be sure to report back.

Oh and avoid Kung Fu Chefs. It's a big bag of nonsense with poor action and poorer comedy.

• Administrator
hey KFB (or any1) u said the uncut musa...the one I saw i believe was 127 minutes or somtihg....the HK version...is that in its entity?

The director's cut is 158 minutes.

I really want to see Fatal Move and Legendary Assassin (yes that is Wu Jing from S P L) but both films don't have very good word of mouth. With money tight as it is I'm not sure it's worth the risk of a blind purchase.

Trust me, neither one is worth a purchase. Especially not LEGENDARY ASSASSIN. Despite the warnings of friends that had seen it, I just had to see this. I loved Wu Jing in TAI CHI II, the TAI CHI MASTER TV series, SPL, ect, and thought even if it's not fantastic, it's still going to be very cool. Wu Jing as an assassin taking on a hundred guys? How could they screw it up? Well, they did. You should look up the thread here on the forum that's dedicated specifically to the film so you can hear more opinions. But as a fellow fan on a tight budget, I must say- you WILL be disappointed if you pay more than $1.50 for it!

I thought Vincent Zhao had retired from the industry. Has he made any more quality martial-arts films in recent years ? Either way you have intrigued me to add this to my wanted list.:xd: I also agree The Blade is well worth watching!

No, he didn't retire. But he's been doing a lot of TV series instead of movies in recent years. He was in two really good series -MASTER OF TAI CHI (lots of great fighting), and SEVEN SWORDSMEN, which is the same story as the film SEVEN SWORDS, but told in much greater detail.

Dragon, when is true legend due on DVD? That looks extremely promising and if my eyes didn't fail me that was Michelle Yeoh! :xd:

You bet! That's my girl Michelle in there tearing it up like in the old days. TRUE LEGEND hasn't come out in theaters in Hong Kong yet, so there's no DVD release announced yet.

There's a thread on the film though, and we even have some inside info since our very own forum brother "Big Mike" Leeder worked on the movie. :bigsmile:

I also watched The Rebel recently which I was blown away by. Even if the film didn't have the choreography it did, it would still be a fantastic watch. Throw in the incredible action and you're good to go. It's certainly one of the better modern martial arts movies I've seen.

I couldn't agree more!

You may enjoy The Stunt People's first feature length film, Contour. It's shoddily made with a dismal script and plot but the fights are orgasmic. If you can make it through the weak attempts at comedy and similar content, you'll be treated to some amazing action.

Gorhama has recommended this to me, and gave the same review. Gotta check it out.

I plan on watching Legendary Assassin over the weekend. I'm positive I'll be disappointed as most reviews say it's pretty shoddy but I'll be sure to report back.

Oh and avoid Kung Fu Chefs. It's a big bag of nonsense with poor action and poorer comedy.

Don't do it! :sad: No, seriously, I just hope you like it more than me.

Thanks for the warning on KUNG FU CHEFS.

Gorhama has recommended this to me, and gave the same review. Gotta check it out.

Don't do it! :sad: No, seriously, I just hope you like it more than me.

Thanks for the warning on KUNG FU CHEFS.

I'm really pessimistic about Legendary Assassin so it might exceed my terrible expectations. I'm hoping, anyway.

Contour is well worth the watch. I managed, somehow, to rent it from Netflix. Considering it's not exactly widely popular I'm happy they had it because it really is a thrill to watch the choreography of The Stunt People.

So since I made this thread I watched Chocolate and loved it

IP Man = WOWOOWOWOW AMAZING

Dragon Tiger Gate, it was okay, for some reason it really made me think of double dragon and donnie yen kinda looked pretty gay in that, kinda stupid story

I got flashpoint, but I want to see Raging Phoenix first

Anyone got any reviews on that?

• Administrator

Dragon Tiger Gate, it was okay, for some reason it really made me think of double dragon and donnie yen kinda looked pretty gay in that, kinda stupid story

From your comments on the first three, it sounds like we have similar tastes. I wasn't bothered with the way Donnie looked though. Loved the fight he had with all those dudes in the park!

I'm waiting on RAGING PHOENIX myself. But if you have FLASHPOINT- don't sit on that bro. It's a good movie with excellent action (aside from one stupid looking wire stunt- involving a tree). It's awesome seeing the vastly under appreciated Collin Chou go head to head with Donnie. This guy has had some of the coolest, most brutal smackdowns with many of HK's top guys. If you haven't seen them, you should check out Collin fighting Sammo in SLICKERS VS KILLERS, and Jet in BODYGUARD FROM BEIJING.

Raging Phoniex is pretty tight...wires are in it tho...not anything huge but enhanced jumps/moves every now and then...but i think the wirework is good

and Flashpoint is sick

Raging Phoenix is pretty cool. It has similar problems to most of the thai flicks coming out these days, mainly the storyline which is pretty average. They included some training scenes this time which i liked. The fights are quite different to pannas other work, some people might not like them as they arent as flat out brutal as his other stuff. Sometimes jeeja doesn't look that powerful with her kicks but the fights are more creative than usual. Lots of amazing breakdancing on display.

Contour is awesome. Ill just post this fight scene here instead of rambling about it

Legendary Assassin is complete crap, such a shame that wu jing has decided to star in so many lousy movies. Fatal Contact is far better.

Kung Fu Chefs wasn't that bad in my opinion. I though it was just a run of the mill kung fu movie. I thought the fights were kind of nifty http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P207rlI5oYo

Is it me or is Sammo voice dubbed again (kung fu chefs) similar to Three Kingdoms? I was so disappointed with the voice dubbing of Sammo in Three Kingdoms.

TibetanWhiteCrane

The Rebel is pretty decent, for a Viet flick! Kinda Thai style fighting, but there were some original moves I hadn't seen before, And I liked the hard fighting style! They still need to work on their editing in the fight scenes though!

I know a lot of these were mentioned but the more its mentioned the better it must be :)

Undisputed 2 - I'm telling you, a must watch. The most well done american martial arts film you will see (Fights unbelieveable/Story actual not bad)

Blood and Bone - Another hard core Jai White flick with lots of hardcore action and although the script can get annoying at times, the story is still watchable

Red Belt - More of a spiritual martial arts movie but very well done for an amercian movie (fights are sub par but the real jem is the story here)

Ong Bak - Awesome fights and stunts/simple but watchable story

The Protector - Awesome Fights(better than Ong Bak)/Awesomely bad story and plot(one of those skip to fight scenes movie, good thing 90 percent of the movie is fights)

Ong Bak 2 - Never actually seen a full version but the amazingly epic fights is worth the buy

SPL/Killzone - Good cop thriller with some of the best recent fights ever

Dragon Tiger Gate - Pretty entertaining with brutal fights if you can get past the wigs, wires and cgi.

Flashpoint - Even better fights but fewer than SPL and more spred out (final fight is basically worth the price of the movie, its that good)

Chocolate - Okay movie. Intresting fights but a lot of it looked to staged and slow (still worth the watch though)

Rising Phoenix - Enjoyed this very much. Fights were really creative and fun to watch (a lot of wire work but its well done wire work)

Taken - Great adrenaline rush. (Watch it to know what I mean. Very brutal american film)

Fearless - Great movie with great fights but Jet's usual wires and doubles could turn off some

City of Violence - Awesome cop/murder mystery with awesome entertaining brawls

Ninja - Scott adkins latest movie with lack luster acting and story but pretty awesome fights (final battle was lacking though)

Forbidden Kingdom - I actual enjoyed this very much, the main kid wasnt cool though. Jet and Chan together with lots of action (usual hollywood wires and lots of doubles but still good)

Death Trance - Awesome Japanese non stop action flick with lot of weapons, humor, and creative fights

Versus - same as above

The Great Challenge - Underrated french flick with awesome martial arts and parkour. I prefer this over B-13.

Thats all I got for now. Hope This helps!

• Administrator
You should also see the film "Drive" with Mark Dacacsos, if you haven`t seen it.

Good call LoBo. DRIVE is a very entertaining flick with top-notch action.

From the clips I seen Broken Path seems good with the same team from Drive doing the choreography, shame I still have not got a opportunity to see it as it still has not be released on DVD or Blu-Ray yet :tinysmile_angry2_t:?

One Armed Boxer
From the clips I seen Broken Path seems good with the same team from Drive doing the choreography, shame I still have not got a opportunity to see it as it still has not be released on DVD or Blu-Ray yet ?

It was only ever released on DVD in South Africa....you can buy it from here -

http://www.kalahari.net/dvd/Broken-Path/65232/33848499.aspx

http://www.shopasave.co.za/index.php?Type_Code=ProductInfo&Itemcode=D09646

I actually have a copy on order at the moment, I'll let you know what it's like once I've given it a watch.

I caved in and watched Legendary Assassin last night. While I didn't hate it, per se, it did leave me thinking, "Oh...really? That's it?" and with a feeling that I should just get on with life. It's a severely underwhelming piece of film. I will happily admit that I mildly enjoyed some of the fights but they didn't bring anything we, as fans of the genre, haven't seen a hundred times already.

Celina Jade is a joy to look at, Wu Jing is as charismatic as a block of wood and the film is fairly flimsy. I wouldn't call it terrible, just instantly forgettable.

You should also see the film "Drive" with Mark Dacacsos, if you haven`t seen it.

Oh yes I would also definitely recommend "Drive" and also starring mark dacascos "Crying Freeman" and possibly "Brotherhood of the wolf" but there's not really a lot of martial-arts in the latter.

Archived