Guys, Need Help With Good Recent Kung-Fu Movies

ChenZhen

I am so out of martial art movie wise, I grew up on that.

I saw all the old jet lis, the andy laus, the donnie yens.

Can someone help me out with the names of some of the best chinese movies/kung-fu movies that came out let's say after 2005?

I would really appreciate it, I'm sure there are some fans here.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Donnie Yen

Ip Man

FlashPoint

Killzone (aka SPL)

Dragon Tiger Gate

Tony Jaa

Ong Bak

Protector

Ong Bak 2

Jet Li

Warlords

others:

Invisible Target (I loved it i know many didnt)

City of Violence

Shadowless Sword

Musa the Warrior

Red Cliff 1 and 2

The Banquet

Guest WuxiaFan

CROUCHING TIGER HIDDEN DRAGON

HERO

FEARLESS

DRUNKEN MONKEY

THE REBEL

SEVEN SWORDS

CURSE OF THE GOLDEN FLOWER

HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS

Some of those are before 2005...

Thanks guys

Already got a copy of IP Man, gonna watch it shortly

looks to be more story than martial arts so far but i'll give it a try

also got a copy of chocolate and raging phoenix

is ong bak 2 any good?

is ong bak 2 any good?

Does a bear... nevermind:xd:

Yes I'd say so, though the ending leaves something to be desired, part 3 will hopefully pull it all together. Jaa pulls the oldschool into the modern movie.

I didn't care for fearless, well lets be truthful I didn't like it at all.

I liked CTHD and Hero but have seen the newer movies movies go more hollywood, all glitter and no guts, I've come to hate cgi, wirework and cgi could/should enhance a movie not take it over. Spl and Flashpoint are the exceptions, not flawless movies but more grit.

I just watched Chocolate

I loved it!!!!

Can't wait for rising phoenix!!!

how old is she?

same heroine for those that don't know

anything else?

that's not a large list for since 2005

ok let's make it 2003

I already saw SPL, bought it on DVD a while ago

anything else?

Come on guys, your supposed to be the experts!!!

See nobody said chocolate but that was a great movie

so im guessing there's alot more not mentioned that are also great

If you're into the Thai stuff, you should also see Born to Fight (the 2004 version).

From HK i would say, besides what else i mentioned here, check out Jackie Chan's New Police Story (doesn't quite live up to the others, but still very entertaining).

Finally i would recommend Undisputed 2 (probably the greatest martial arts movie to come out of the US).

just saw the trailer for dragon tiger gate

looks AMAZINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Any other movies like that?

Also as far as Jet Li's War, how come I neer Warlords, how come I never heard of it?

And is it just war battles or are there martials arts as well?

plz let me know wats up to both questions if possible.

thx

• Administrator

Yeah, UNDISPUTED 2 for sure. Good call Knockabout.

Also check these out:

KILTRO

MIRAGEMAN -These are the first and second films from Chile's first martial arts star, Marko Zaror. The guy's 6'3 and moves like Yuen Biao! They're both low budget, and KILTRO has a little too much cheese for some people, but I enjoyed it. MIRAGEMAN is really a great action flick.

TOM YUM GOONG (aka. THE PROTECTOR)- Tony Jaa's second starring role. The story and direction are a real mess, but the action is outstanding. A must see!

FEARLESS- I'm surprised that Tosh didn't dig this at all. If it had skipped the wirework it would have been a 10 for me, but I still love this movie.

A DIRTY CARNIVAL - This Korean movie is a gangster flick, but it's awesome and has a few really brutal, exciting fight scenes.

CITY OF VIOLENCE- Flawed, but very stylish, and well worth seeing. Lots of Tae Kwon Do flavored fight scenes with everything from a few opponents all the way up to a huge mob.

THE REBEL- Terrific, fight intensive movie. Good story, acting, and direction too.

DISTRICT 13

DISTRICT 13: ULTIMATUM - These French action films feature a crazy mix of "free running" and martial arts. They're fast, fun, and full of gritty action.

THE TRANSPORTER

THE TRANSPORTER 2- Don't bother with part 3, it sucked. But the first two are very cool. Jason Statham stars as a professional driver for hire, and besides the expected car chases and stunts, there are some kick ass martial arts fights.

CRANK

CRANK 2- J. Statham delivers the goods again as Chazz Chelios, a guy who's been given a lethal injection. The only way to keep from dying is to keep his heart rate up- which he does by fighting, fucking, fleeing, ect. Hard to believe that the sequel manages to top the original, and is IMHO one of the greatest B-movies ever made.

UNLEASHED- What do you get when you put Jet Li in a movie with great actors, cool story, a good director, and nasty fight scenes? This kick ass flick, that's what!

KISS OF THE DRAGON- Jet's second best non-Hong Kong action film.

TAKEN- They should not have kidnapped Liam Neeson's daughter. You see, he used to have this job... let's just say- he wasn't an accountant. Now he's very angry, and coming to get her back.

That's all my flu-addled brain can think of right now. Welcome to the forum ChenZhen. :wink:

yea I forgot about B13!

and yea man u need 2 see Warlords....waaay different than War....not the same movie at all lol

Chocolate was great! but i DEFF. prefer Jaa's movies over her some of her attacks lack power to me....

check out Crows Zero 1 and 2 aswell...not kung fu but still sweeeeeeet!

Drunken Monkey i loved! if u a fan of Old school ull probly enjoy it....

Tai Chi Boxer with Wu Jing was really enjoyable....

The Restless was a good korean fantasy

Empress and the Warrior wont bad...

• Administrator

As far as titles others have mentioned, here's my thoughts (plus a few more I thought of, and the answers to your questions:

KURO-OBI (Black Belt) - Beautifully filmed, great movie with some cool karate fights.

SHAMO - Some extremely nasty stuff in this dark, manga based prison/ringfighter movie.

BLOOD AND BONE- Michael Jai White rocks as usual. Lots of hard-hitting fights.

FIGHTER IN THE WIND- Very classy TKD flick.

SPL - One of my favorites in the last 10 years. Some of the greatest modern day action ever filmed.

IP MAN- Didn't quite reach the heights of FEARLESS content-wise, but loved the action scenes.

FLASHPOINT- Donnie Yen scores again! His MMA choreo is amazing.

DRAGON TIGER GATE- This film has both extremes- from awesome stuff to total lameness. Worth seeing for sure.

ONG BAK- Tony Jaa sort of does a Jackie Chan movie. Insane stunts and Mui Thai fighting.

ONG BAK 2- Tony Jaa sort of does a Shaw Brothers movie. Incredible fighting of all kinds- with katana, drunken boxing, tiger style, three-piece staff, double swords. I love this movie!

WARLORDS- Very good film, mostly huge battles, but some one against many highlights too. I felt like I was getting to see how Jet would really fight if he was in a war... with a big ass kwando!

INVISIBLE TARGET- It has some great stuff mixed in with some "Why be so silly with wires?" stuff. Worth seeing for sure.

MUSA- See the uncut version. It's a big, beautiful, epic movie with a simple, but effective story.

RED CLIFF 1 and 2- Normally I'm against any editing, but after seeing these uncut, I saw the edited version in the theater. There was a lot of character info from the first half that I missed, but I was glad that some extraneous sappy crap was left out of the second half. The action scenes are great and looked out of sight on the big screen.

THE BANQUET- A gorgeous looking film with some imaginitive action scenes. It has some major flaws, but still a good film.

CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON- I know a lot of people think it's overrated, but I really dig this film. Perhaps because I'm a born romantic, or maybe because it has one of the greatest duels between two iron ladies ever filmed! Zhang Ziyi vs Michelle Yeoh? That scene is on fire!

HERO- An art film that doesn't bore. It's like watching breathtaking paintings kicking each others ass! Moving, thoughtful, and featuring some outstanding action. Again, do yourself a favor- see the uncut version. IMO, a masterpiece.

DRUNKEN MONKEY- I think this film gets unfairly blasted. It's not as good as Lau Kar Leung's best, but it's a very entertaining throwback to the old school days. I would have liked it better if they trimmed back the comedy, but there's not much, and the action is very cool. Wait until you see our old SB buddy who plays the villain! He's ripped as Hell, and putting to shame most martial arts actors that are half his age with his impressive kung fu skills!

SEVEN SWORDS- since it had about an hour trimmed from it, it feels narratively sloppy. But it's still an exciting, colorful, action packed wuxia film. Donnie Yen fighting with giant chains. Yes, it's as cool as it sounds!

CURSE OF THE GOLDEN FLOWER- Like THE BANQUET, this film is visually stunning and has some exciting battles, but it's not quite a classic.

HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS- I'm less a fan of this than most. I don't think the director came anywhere near his film HERO with this, there's too much CGI, the characters and story are a mess, but it has it's moments.

BORN TO FIGHT (the 2004 version)- Some of it is silly (the soccer player using his skills to fight) and tries too hard, but most of it is just incredible. Filled with jaw-dropping stunts and vicious fights -like the two against one where the fight with flaming 2x4's! Definitely check it out.

DYNAMITE WARRIORS- This Thai film doesn't get a lot of love. But I thought it was an outrageous B-movie filled with OTT stuff that kept me entertained from start to finish. Sort of like a Thai version of the crazy SB films like FLYING GUILLOTINE and DRAGON MISSLE.

NEW POLICE STORY - A bit overdramatic, but featuring some cool fight scenes.

WUSHU- It coulda been a contender... but not quite. Still, some good kung fu scenes.

CHAMPIONS- Same as above.

CRYING FIST- It's a boxing movie- not martial arts. But it's an overall winner. Highly recommended (uncut of course).

Kiss of the Dragon

Fighter in the wind

The rebel

Kiltro

District 13 - don't bother with the sequel.

Fatal Contact

Ong bak 1 & 2

Warrior king

chocolate

Bichunmoo

Versus

Hero

Born to fight

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

House of flying daggers

Ip Man

the returner

Princess Blade

I'm sure I'm missing a few but why limit yourself to just the most recent years. There are some really cracking films from the Eighties and Nineties that are really superb. It's great to see Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Sammo hung, Yuen Biao, Cynthia Rothrock, Michelle Yeoh etc etc all at there martial-arts/stunt work best.

Kiss of the Dragon

I'm sure I'm missing a few but why limit yourself to just the most recent years.

Only because I probably already saw them

that's all

I'm halfway through IP Man now

and it's an amazing movie

WOW

IP Man 2 is coming out soon I understand

can't wait

thanks every1

Can you guys let me know if these also are good movies or not?

im' looking for martial art action mainly

Legend of the wolf,

Mahjong dragon

Fatal move

legendary assassin

fatal contact

legendary assassin is with the knife guy from spl

can you guys let me know about these movies?

thx

thanks every1

Can you guys let me know if these also are good movies or not?

im' looking for martial art action mainly

Legend of the wolf,

fatal contact

legendary assassin is with the knife guy from spl

can you guys let me know about these movies?

thx

Legend of the Wolf is one of my favorite Donnie Yen flicks. There is an abundance of speeding up at times, but Yen showcases some very frenetic kicking. Great scene where it is only him against many that just blew my mind.

Fatal Contact is a pretty good fight movie, the theme is a rise and fall of an underground fighter type, but it also stars the kinfe guy from SPL, Wu Jing.

My favorite fight in the film pitted Wu Jing against Paul K. Smith, Kenji Tanigaki, and Andy On

• Administrator

LEGEND OF THE WOLF- It's a love it or hate it title. I loved it! As Albert said- there's a lot of overcranking (speeding up), but the action is great. It's a lot of frenetic, brutal fighting.

MAHJONG DRAGON- Is a modern day action comedy starring Vincent Zhao from THE BLADE (and if you haven't seen THE BLADE- see it!). Though they have some really silly comedy in parts, the action in this is fantastic. Every fight scene is cool, including one in a carwash, and one where our hero puts split coconut shells on his fists while pummeling his enemy!

FATAL MOVE- Eh... the story is muddled, the characters are bland. A few decent action scenes, but for me, only the final fight between Wu Jing and Sammo was really worth seeing again.

LEGENDARY ASSASSIN- A huge disapointment. The fights were the lamest part of this turkey. Killer trailer, awful movie!

FATAL CONTACT- This one was pretty good, and has a lot of very cool fighting.

hey KFB (or any1) u said the uncut musa...the one I saw i believe was 127 minutes or somtihg....the HK version...is that in its entity?

Legend of the wolf is not bad worth a rental in my opinion. I preferred Donnie Yen's Shanghai Affairs which he also directed.

I really enjoyed Fatal Contact but I could see people seeing it a little slow between fight sequences.

I really want to see Fatal Move and Legendary Assassin (yes that is Wu Jing from S P L) but both films don't have very good word of mouth. With money tight as it is I'm not sure it's worth the risk of a blind purchase.

[

MAHJONG DRAGON- Is a modern day action comedy starring Vincent Zhao from THE BLADE (and if you haven't seen THE BLADE- see it!). Though they have some really silly comedy in parts, the action in this is fantastic. Every fight scene is cool, including one in a carwash, and one where our hero puts split coconut shells on his fists while pummeling his enemy!

I thought Vincent Zhao had retired from the industry. Has he made any more quality martial-arts films in recent years ? Either way you have intrigued me to add this to my wanted list.:xd: I also agree The Blade is well worth watching!

Archived