Thought I was hearing things

shapes

I was watching the horrid HKL Warriors two DVD, when to my astonishment I hear Sam Hui singing a Canto cover of Elvis's "Don't be cruel ", when Tiger Yang and his posse enter the tea house for the first time, I though what's going on? have some chinese moved in next door playing sam hui and I'm picking it up?, so I actually went to check, nothing, so I put my ear close to the speaker and it was coming form the warriors two, I thought maybe it leaked thru the tv so I checked that it was not on some stray tv channel, no it was on the dvd proper, so I checked that Vile english dub and there it was again, WHy? anyone know why they thought that the citizens of Fat Shan in the 1800's would be listening to Sam Hui?

and why would they go out of their way to ruin a classic.? any other horror stories form HKL dvd's, I generally don't watch HKL DVDs since I have seen them films to death.but I like some of the interviews they have. But Why? Why? (Remeber the octagon)

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Hey Shapes, why do you refer to "the horrid HKL Warriors two DVD"? I've heard people complain that the color is a bit too pink, but otherwise, what's the criticism of it? Am I missing something? Not trying to argue with a rhetorical question either. I'm truly curious what you think is wrong with it.

I never noticed that bit with the music, but that surely is inappropriate! :tongue:

the SFX sounded like they were put thru some kind of tin can EQ machine. the music had a lot of bass taken out of it. all they had to do was leave it alone,

• Administrator
the SFX sounded like they were put thru some kind of tin can EQ machine. the music had a lot of bass taken out of it. all they had to do was leave it alone,

Ah, thank you for the answers. I know what you mean, but that didn't bother me too much. Not like those incessant chirping birds on the SB discs anyway.

I first saw this film as a terrible, full-screen, dubbed, fifth or sixth generation VHS tape. Then later, I upgraded to a widescreen, subbed DVD that had a scratched up looking picture, and audio that sounded like it had been recorded inside a giant steel drum with almost an echo-like effect to everything. So compared to those, when I got the HKL's version I thought it was the sweetest thing ever. LOL But still... I understand, and can appreciate your complaints. Why not just leave well enough alone? Indeed.

I was baffled by the Sam Hui song as well. They should have used the old dub (Roy Chiao was one of the English dubbers, btw), which despite the bad echo (common for Golden Harvest back in the day) was superior to the new one. It reminds me of the updated Cantonese dub for SHAOLIN PLOT in 1990 that featured Michael Kamen's LETHAL WEAPON score!

Guest Markgway

The Sam Hui song wasn't on the original theatrical soundtrack.

Fortune Star prepared a remix (which HKL have used) with both Sam's song and new foley added.

Why? Because they're arses and believe that unless a soundtrack is 5.1 no one will buy their shit.

The same goes for the 2.0 track which is just a downmix of the 5.1 remix.

The letterboxed Deltamac DVD has the original mono for purists.

The HKL disc is appalling on the sound, i was impressed with the picture quality.

Thats why i kept my old Deltamac disc, non anamorphic, washed out but at least original mono sound!

Now if only i could merge the two!

Archived