Ong Bak 2 US DVD and blu-ray release date

OldPangYau

Not sure if this has been posted anywhere on here (not that I could see), but I found out that Ong Bak 2 will be getting a February 2, 2010 release date on DVD and blu-ray, and apparently it will be getting both a single disc DVD release and a two-disc DVD release... and I'm assuming the blu-ray will have the contents of the two disc DVD.

Either way, I enjoyed this film, and felt it was underrated. It was easily the darkest and most brutal of Jaa's films, and felt more dramatic than either the original Ong Bak or Tom Yum Goong. Bring on OB3!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The HD On Demand transfer looked damn good, so I'm sure the blu-ray will be at least as good. Too bad it didn't play at the theater near me like I thought it would :sad:

• Administrator
Feb 2, 2010...the day I can finally snap my panmedia boot of the DVD in half!

I predict that the groundhog will not see his shadow... because he'll be running too quickly to pick up the new releases of ONG-BAK 2 and DELIGHTFUL FOREST! It's going to be a good day for fu fans. :bigsmile:

Feb 2, 2010...the day I can finally snap my panmedia boot of the DVD in half!

why snap it why not give it away, introduce someone to Tony Jaa with it?

The Running Man

Yi Long,

wasn't the Magnolia release uncut? I heard the one released in France was altered but I haven't heard anything about Magnolia putting out a cut version.

Guest Yi-Long
Yi Long,

wasn't the Magnolia release uncut? I heard the one released in France was altered but I haven't heard anything about Magnolia putting out a cut version.

They didn't release the first one, nor TYG I believe.

Not sure if their version of Ong Bak 2 is cut or not.

I was just explaining to the guy how it works: Put out a decent release, and you will get good word-of-mouth from the fans. Put out a censored/cut/altered version, and you will see the fans putting out BAD word-of-mouth, recommending alternate versions or bootlegs instead of the official local release ;)

Didn't they fuck up Red Cliff though? Putting both parts together, cutting the shit out of it, and making it into 1 movie!? (which, as opposed to the original 2 movies, wasn't all that well received by the critcs...)

In the case of Red Cliff, and such releases, we recommend fellow-fans the original 2 discs, instead of going for the Magnolia-version (which we urge everyone to stay away from, and boycot).

The Running Man
I was just explaining to the guy how it works: Put out a decent release, and you will get good word-of-mouth from the fans. Put out a censored/cut/altered version, and you will see the fans putting out BAD word-of-mouth, recommending alternate versions or bootlegs instead of the official local release ;)

Yeah, I totally get you. :) I just wanted to know if you knew something I didn't about the Ong Bak 2 release.

Magnolia did release the first one but it was at the time when they didn't establish a home video company so it was done as a joint venture with other companies, like Fox. The first one wasn't uncut, but as I understand that was due to the fact that by the time they bought the rights to the first one Luc Besson already was in control of foreign sales, so Magnolia only had access to that version.

It seems to be a similar situation with Red Cliff. Red Cliff has had an international version that is being sold to non-Asian territories. This version got released in other places in Europe way before Magnolia released it in the states. So that wasn't their doing.

TYG was totally Dragon Dynasty (aka Weinstien) so nuff said there.

From what I know, Magnolia's Ong Bak 2 is uncut and haven't heard anything to the contrary. I have heard it has been cut in France, like Tony Jaa's two previous movies.

In fact, everything they put out has been uncut except for the first Ong Bak and Red Cliff but those have those two situations I point out.

Thank god they finally announced an official release date for the Blu-Ray. I'll probably still end up renting it from Xbox Live before then just to see it.

Guest WuxiaFan
Still, kudos for releasing these in the states- uncut with their original soundtracks! That's just the way we like it. :nerd:

We also like nice 2-disc editions with a plethora of special features! :bigsmile:

• Administrator
We also like nice 2-disc editions with a plethora of special features! :bigsmile:

Yeah, yeah, ya yeah yeah, yeah! :tongue:

• Administrator
TBH, I couldn't care less about the 2nd disc full of extras and interviews, if they don't get the basics right.

I understand, but if they do get the film right (which they have), then I would also enjoy some extras. :neutral:

They released THE HOST uncut, with it's original audio, terrific subtitles, AND a gaggle of great extras. Sometimes you really can get a proper DVD, dig?

Soooo it's just called "Ong Bak: The Beginning"? Well, if anything, that title works better in my opinion. Prequels simply should never use numbers... unless they're backwards like "Resident Evil 0" :tongue:

Let's not forget what Dimension Films did to Armor of God... wait, I mean, "Operation Condor 2: The Armour of the Gods" *facepalm*

DeathFuMaster

Amazon has the specs if anyone is interested.

http://www.amazon.com/Ong-Bak-Beginning-Widescreen-Collectors/dp/B002XTXG1Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1262789977&sr=8-2

HDNet: A Look at Ong Bak 2

Behind-the-Scenes: Capturing a Warrior

Ong Bak 3 Exclusive Footage

Bonus Alternate Cut of Ong Bak 2

Making of Ong Bak 2: The Story and Character of an Epic

Making of Ong Bak 2: Revealing the Majesty

Making of Ong Bak 2: The Art of War

Behind-the-Scenes: The Kingdom

Behind-the-Scenes: The Community

Interviews with Cast and Crew including Co-Director/Actor Tony Jaa

International Trailer

Archived