the most serious kung fu flick?

zeus

The Duel starring David Chiang and Ti Lung is another serious kick ass Chang Cheh flick.

(((I would like to see this one on Blu Ray with english dub))

*sigh* If only BCI stayed in business...

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DISCIPLES OF THE 36TH CHAMBER and RETURN TO THE 36TH CHAMBER did, but not the original 36th CHAMBER. San Te (Liu) was serious throughout the entire movie, similar to 8 DIAGRAM POLE FIGHTER.

Thanks for the correction. =)

Eight Diagram Pole Fighter, I'd say.

The film is shot thru with a sense of bewilderment, heartbreak, rage and sadness - all due to Fu Sheng's tragic, untimely death.

The only KF film to always make me shiver, no matter how many times I view it.

Well said Karlos, well said!

Chen Kuai Tai in:

The Boxer From Shangtung

Iron Bodyguard &

Man Of Iron

Those are some serious films, with BRS and IB being based on true-life characters.

All three were bloodily (?) violent!

King Boxer was pretty dark.

I'd say the 8 Diagram was pretty dark too but there is a bit of comedy, like when the monk's de-fang the "wolves".

King Boxer was pretty dark.

I'd say the 8 Diagram was pretty dark too but there is a bit of comedy, like when the monk's de-fang the "wolves".

I'd say that's unintentional comedy if anything,lol.

Chinatown Kid

The Delinquent was pretty damn intense and serious, and although not specifically Kung Fu the film Black Belt which focuses on Japanese Karate was all serious business as well.

not the original 36th CHAMBER. San Te (Liu) was serious throughout the entire movie, similar to 8 DIAGRAM POLE FIGHTER.

Uhm..I do not have film now but was`t there some comedy in beginning of movie?

Uhm..I do not have film now but was`t there some comedy in beginning of movie?

If you're referring to 8 Diagram Pole Fighter, the opening scene was pretty gruesome. I can't recall any sort of comedy going on in that film.

If you're referring to 8 Diagram Pole Fighter, the opening scene was pretty gruesome. I can't recall any sort of comedy going on in that film.

No,36th chambers of shaolin

I remember 8 diagram well.

I suppose there was like a small part of it if you count the scene with the students in the classroom before Frankie Wei (the teacher) shows up.

Another one I remembered was Fatal Flying Guillotine with Chen Sing and Carter Wong. Not much laughing going on in there.

I like the seriousness of the killer in "Master of the flying guillotine." I found him to be dangerous, threatening, and frightening.

He also has one of the coolest intros ever for a villain with him practicing with his guillotine and then burning his house down to go on a single minded mission to avenge his pupil. He's like a Kung Fu version of Anton Chigurh (No Country for Old Men) just someone who is nasty and nearly unbeatable.

I thought the music added greatly to his presence too. That riff Super 16 from Nui is bizarre and i'd say it works like a slasher film theme. Every time it comes on you know some evil stuff is going to happen. It nearly works better than the Friday the 13th sound theme or the music from Halloween.

He also has one of the coolest intros ever for a villain with him practicing with his guillotine and then burning his house down to go on a single minded mission to avenge his pupil. He's like a Kung Fu version of Anton Chigurh (No Country for Old Men) just someone who is nasty and nearly unbeatable.

I thought the music added greatly to his presence too. That riff Super 16 from Nui is bizarre and i'd say it works like a slasher film theme. Every time it comes on you know some evil stuff is going to happen. It nearly works better than the Friday the 13th sound theme or the music from Halloween.

And the Opening theme song is kickass too!

I loved MotFG but it's way to hokey to be considered a serious KF film imo, I'd go with the original Shaw film it was much more dramatic and serious.

Morgoth Bauglir

I don't think I saw Shaolin Traitor aka Rebel of Shaolin listed. I've seen it about 5 times. It's been awhile, so I popped it in last night. And then I decided to watch it again tonight. I was in the mood for a badass movietonight and I knew this would do the trick. And it did. The fights are the only thing that left me unfulfilled. There's some great bits but it has that stupid Born Invincible style editing. But I don't care. The fights are still good and it is a classy production that has a bit of an 8 Diagram Pole Fighter feel because everyone is so damn serious. I think I rated this a 7/10, but I'm changing it to an 8/10.

I know that most people here are huge Carter Wong fans, so, do you have the warrant?

Black.Dragon

Killer Constables .. one of my favorite SB movies. Absolutly no comedy in this one . I love it

Blacklist aka Ninja Heat .. starring Chan Sing also comes to mind. Fresh out of jail straight revenge no time for laughs.

NoKUNGFUforYU

I'm surprised no one mentioned Disciples of Shaolin. It was Fu Sheng's favorite of his performances and it has a tragic story of how a young guy gets exploited by his greedy employer, and his world weary friend has seen it all before. At the end, his boss cares more for his fighting cricket then his human enforcer. Chi Kuan Chun's character gets no satisfaction from revenge, either. you know, we've probably worked for people like his boss...

Secret Executioner
I'm surprised no one mentioned Disciples of Shaolin. It was Fu Sheng's favorite of his performances and it has a tragic story of how a young guy gets exploited by his greedy employer, and his world weary friend has seen it all before. At the end, his boss cares more for his fighting cricket then his human enforcer. Chi Kuan Chun's character gets no satisfaction from revenge, either. you know, we've probably worked for people like his boss...

I'm not sure about this one. Sure the story is dark (as often in Chang Cheh's Shaolin cycle), the ending downbeat as hell and the boss comes off as such an a$$hole - eventually, one could also mention the grittier cinematography in some scenes (the switch to black and white for flashbacks or for the scene where Fu Sheng's character dies). But Alexander Fu Sheng's character is so innocent and loveable that he puts a smile on my face - sure he is misguided and it costs him his life (and he may come off as proud when he gets the promotion - though for some reason I think another actor wouldn't have remained as likeable as Fu Sheng did), but the running gag with the shoes always gets me.

You have a good point though on Chi Kuan Chun's character. I've already spoken of CKC and Fu Sheng and their on-screen "chemistry", and I find CKC's character actually makes a great counterpart to Fu Sheng's as a dark and angry figure (both looking and acting the part perfectly here). I'm not sure whether it's the case, but I got the idea (from pretty much the very beginning of the film) that these 2 characters were actual brothers (as opposed to two friends who call each other "brother"), with Chi Kuan Chun as the older brother who has made mistakes and now tries to make sure his careless exhuberant younger brother (Alexander Fu Sheng) won't repeat them.

Archived