A Better Tomorrow (formerly 'Invincible') (2010) - Korean Remake of John Woo Classic!

AlbertV

Great review, makes me want to check it out. I laughed at the Bruce Li line!

Man, sometimes I wake up in the morning and I accidently step on a Bruce Li movie. I have Bruce Li flicks coming out of my ears.

I have this one sittin on my stacks, and in honor of your review I will watch it tonight...

Curious to know what you think. =D I can tell you stories about stacks of backlogs I have to watch.

I haven't gotten it yet but I intend to very soon. I also laughed at the Bruce Li comment you made. But I will have to go against you if they ever try to do a Godfather remake that would be utterly sacrilegious!

I hear ya. I didn't expect anyone to agree with me. But like I said, no matter how dumb it sounds, I would have to check out a Godfather remake. The curiosity enough would make it interesting.

It's like watching a live video of someone claiming they can fly right before they jump off a building! I'm so there. =D

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good review mpm74....you can check out my own take on it in post 11 of this thread -

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9351&page=2

Looks like we agree on a few points!

Holy. My review is basically a REMAKE of yours. lol I swear I didn't read it before I wrote mine. One thing I'm going to do is change my words from weepings to sobbing (now i'm just ripping yours off). lol

Too funny. But yeah, looks like we do agree. =D

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Okay, between the two reviews I'm psyched to see this. I've got it, but it's just finding time to watch it.

OpiumKungFuCracker... that's one sweet avatar of Christine's Applegates! Sorry, but I easily prefer this to the avatar that you previously had of yourself. You just ain't nearly as pretty! :tongue:

OpiumKungFuCracker... that's one sweet avatar of Christine's Applegates! Sorry, but I easily prefer this to the avatar that you previously had of yourself. You just ain't nearly as pretty!

Yeah, I was gonna say. Much better than CHUCK.

Was that photo photoshopped? Or did I forget how sexy she appeared on that show?

One Armed Boxer
Holy. My review is basically a REMAKE of yours. lol I swear I didn't read it before I wrote mine. One thing I'm going to do is change my words from weepings to sobbing (now i'm just ripping yours off). lol

Ha ha....yeah I trust you! If you look closely at my review you`ll see some white doves flapping about in the background, that`s how you know it`s the original!:tongue:

Okay, between the two reviews I'm psyched to see this. I've got it, but it's just finding time to watch it.

Always look forward to hearing your thoughs on a movie Kung Fu Bob....just don`t go into this expecting anything along the lines of `The Man from Nowhere` or `I Saw the Devil`....this is first and foremost a drama, all be it a very manly one...there is I think one female character in the whole cast, and that`s the brothers mother!

Ha ha....yeah I trust you! If you look closely at my review you`ll see some white doves flapping about in the background, that`s how you know it`s the original!

Right on. lol I'll have to check out that other korean movie you guys were talking about (priest's daughter). Sounds interesting!!!

Great minds think alike. =D

OpiumKungFuCracker

OpiumKungFuCracker... that's one sweet avatar of Christine's Applegates! Sorry, but I easily prefer this to the avatar that you previously had of yourself. You just ain't nearly as pretty! :tongue:

Hahaha, u guys so funny, funny...

As far as this movie goes, it's like a boy band version of the John Woo/Chow Fat Classic more bromance than you can shake a stick with.. The drama wasn't that bad at all, I wasn't taken out or bored but not on par with the original then again what is?? As far as the action goes, was there CGI in it?? It looks like it especially towards the end action scenes when they were shooting it slow motion Woo style I spot some CGI in the mix.. Either that or I had a really crappy bootleg version of the movie... Yeah I really am not a fan of CGI computer graphics pixel finger sex fest.. Please count me out of CGI in an action movie, for now I suppose...

One Armed Boxer
I didn't notice any CGI. IF there was, I totally missed it.

Likewise....& I watched it on the big screen.

CGI can serve it's place in an action scene....the problems come when the CGI becomes THE action scene, rather than just complimenting it.

I'm sure I spotted CGI blood in both the finale of 'The Man from Nowhere' & during the taxi scene in 'I Saw the Devil'....but it was done so skillfully that it actually added to the scenes rather than detracting from them...truly the sign of a director who knows what they're doing.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Good movie, I enjoy the bromance... There's this one particular scene when the two brothers finally gotten along and their aunt/mother/grandma was yelling at them for sitting so far apart, and then the scene cuts to them sitting at the table together just eating and not saying much.. I really like that scene, very simplistic, but meaningful....

OpiumKungFuCracker

Hahahhaa, it was too emotional... The emotions were running high especially if you just gone through a war like shoot out with some gangsters and on top of that you finally have a truce with your brother that as a child you tied your fingers together with a string running happily along the beach sands... It kinda hit close to home I guess, lol...

I watched it last night and I have to admit, while the Woo version will always be a classic, this remake is actually not bad at all. It seemed more faithful than other remakes with the shocking twist at the end. I felt that Song Seung-Hong brought his own version rather than attempted to emulate Chow Yun-Fat and for this, it was more of a plus than a minus. Joo Jin-Mo seems to be at the top of his game as Kim Hyuk. The melodrama seems to work and the finale was great IMO.

The sheer overwroughtness of the drama in this just killed it stone dead for me.

I understand it's getting a release in the West under the new title, Men Crying: The Motion Picture.

OpiumKungFuCracker

LOL, I cried when they tied both their fingers in a knot to the balloon and ran across the sands on the beach.... Would you consider this a bromance movie???

the remake looks better

After at last seeing it I can say it knock-outs original. While I have big admiration for john woo&chow yun fat, original just did not do it for me. There is not enough gunplay and too much drama. Even worse, relationship of 2 brothers is not interesting.

Tone is darker in remake, more action(and it`s nicely done) and twist ending makes this winner for me.

Archived