New Shaw DVDs In December

Winfred

Guest Markgway

They have the Celestial Channel in Austalia, Brunei, China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam.

And soon Korea.

I'm thinking Aus and HK are the best bets for uncut versions of Shaw Bros. All we need is someone willing to record and trade. :)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Apart From Painted Faces what other gems were on the list of stuff not released??

ASIAN CULT CINEMA BLOG

Wasn't it like everything. At least if we're talking dvd.

Apart From Painted Faces what other gems were on the list of stuff not released??

This is the list of the 80 alleged releases to come...

(please feel free to correct if I missed something)

Avengers from Hell

Beautiful Vixen

Black Forest

Black Magic 2

Cheeky Little Angels

Come Haunt with Me

Cop Shop Babes

Curse of Evil

Dark Rendezvous

Dark Semester

Dear Murderer

Double Crossed

Double Trouble

Downhill They Ride

Evil Seducers

Face to Face

Fearful Interlude

Four Sisters

Hong Kong Godfather

Hong Kong Manila Singapore

I Will Finally Knock You Down, Dad!

It Takes a Man to be Henpecked

Killers on Wheels

Kiss and Kill

Let’s Go to Bed

Love Across the Seas

Love Auction

Love Lock

Midnight Murder

Mini Skirt Gang

Misfire

Mission Impossible

Murder on the Wedding Night

My Mind, Your Body

Na Cha and the 7 Devils

Naughty Scandals

Night of the Devil Bride

Operation Lipstick

Painted Faces

Queen Hustler

Revenge of the Corpse

Ripples

Shark Busters

Sing High Sing Low

Spirit of the Raped

Squadron 77

Stooge My Love

Stranger in Hong Kong

Suicide

Swan Song

Temperament of Life

That Tender Age

The Best Hustler Wins

The Big Fellow

The Black Enforcer

The Brain Stealers

The Cunning Hustler

The Cute Little Fellow

The Demon Wet Nurse

The Gambling Syndicate

The Joy of Spring

The Killer

The Killer Has No Return

The Last Judgement

The Mating Season

The Peeping

The Purple Shell

The Rainbow

The Second Spring

The Villains

The Virgins

The Well of Doom

Thief of Thieves

This Man Is Dangerous

Three Stooges Go Undercover

Three Swinging Girls

Thunderclap

To Kill A Mastermind

Trapeze Girl

Young Passion

Is any of this real, for real? Why would they remaster films only to show them on TV but not to sale as DVD's, how does that make financial sense? As long as I've been on this forum, it still feels as if no one at Celestial or anywhere else has given a true answer to the film many of you are crazy about To Kill a Mastermind. I've heard the print is destroyed, that its somewhere in a vault, that they actually have it, that its coming out on Dvd, TV, its been one rumor after another. Why wont, why dont someone who knows just finally give an official answer to the whereabouts of this film?

Unfortunatly its all about money and in the current financial recession Shaw dvd's just dont sell well, especially in Asia where IVL market there releases. Lets hope some forward thinking Western distributor picks up the rights to some of these classics and gives them the release they deserve.

REGION FREE BLU RAY DISCS HERE

Unfortunately David is right with his views. But equally unfortunately there are also several other reasons which fans and customers hardly can fathom. I won't get into details but let me say, that CP has made a lot of errors and has - at least - missed more than one chance to finally get it together. It's a shame, but there is nothing one can do about it.

Forget DVD/VCD releases (at least for now)! Foreign releases in Europe will only be via VOD (video-on-demand) and mobile services.

But sadly, you can also forget about pending Shaw releases on the beforementioned Celestial Movies Channel, because first of all, it will not be this channel in several counties/regions but only the Shaw-dedicated "Celestial Classic Channel" - www.cmclassic.tv - (btw. This is the HK cable channel which - as of today - only exists in Hong Kong and Singapore!). CCM will indeed feature some of the previously unreleased movies. But 2) not before the end of 2010 or as early as 2011!!!.

There is a lot more to be said, more to be lamented, more to be discussed - but there is no point in telling, discussing or arguing.

Oh, and just one more thing:

For all the non-believers, the ones who slag SBR and the ones who take the mickey out of this site: Here are the eight Celestial (or better Kadokawa Inc.) DVD cover motives featuring the prognosed eight movies of the first initial launch batch of the second wave of CP/Shaw releases before Xmas (second week of December 2009, as it was said back then in May 2009). Alas, the whole thing was called off:

previewa.jpg

First, appreciate your post on this Mah.

But equally unfortunately there are also several other reasons which fans and customers hardly can fathom. I won't get into details but let me say,

Please, do tell. Despite the sporadic immaturity that can pop up (which can happen on any internet forum), there are many educated individuals that frequent this board. We have many with college degrees, Masters and even a few PhDs. People from all walks of life with varying credentials in business, law, marketing, and the media. Would love to hear what it is, that would be deemed so unfathomable. Thank you.

People interested in the unreleased Shaw films stand a better chance of seeing them on 35mm in the near future than they do on DVD. Check out this link:

http://www.portlandmercury.com/portland/saving-shaolin/Content?oid=1639566

In the collector communities, this was a very hush-hush thing for a while, but, considering that its in the news, I guess we can talk about it! This is a major find.

Haz,

Thanks for that article.

And before anyone asks, yes several months ago I gave Haz contact information for Media Blasters so that maybe some of these film materials could be used in future releases.

Oh, and just one more thing:

For all the non-believers, the ones who slag SBR and the ones who take the mickey out of this site: Here are the eight Celestial (or better Kadokawa Inc.) DVD cover motives featuring the prognosed eight movies of the first initial launch batch of the second wave of CP/Shaw releases before Xmas (second week of December 2009, as it was said back then in May 2009). Alas, the whole thing was called off:

You may have point there.This and european tour may be just unfortunate events for otherwise good site and webmasters possible as disappointed as others and gave info in good belief these things actually happen.

But you cannot really blame fans for after 2 letdowns suspecting credibility of sbr.

By the way,covers mean nothing.There is lot fanmade...

So yeah, for people who are interested, they found more than 200 complete films, Shaws and Independants, widescreen & subtitled. They're now in Austin, TX. I'm waiting to hear about what they have planned for these movies. This is a way bigger find than the one in SF a few years back that spawned the Crash & Fusian releases.

The Silver Fox

Hey,that's a really cool story. That guy discovered a gold mine, I hope some of these will get a transferred DVD.

Guest Markgway
Hey,that's a really cool story. That guy discovered a gold mine, I hope some of these will get a transferred DVD.

Celestial still hold worldwide rights. They legally can't put them on DVD.

I managed to see a screener copy of THE VILLAINS. Yueh Hua and Chen Hung Lieh play brothers, one good and one bad. Shi Szu has a lot of screen time as well. A good mix of gunplay and basher fights. Very nice score, too. Haven't seen it completely from beginning to end, but it's definitely worth owning for basher, Chu Yuan and THE FUGITIVE (1972) fans. The copy is in widescreen restored, but bears 'Celestial Pictures Limited' at the top (in the picture) and 'Sample' at the bottom (in picture). It's a shame this one didn't come out. Maybe the rest appear on disc at some point. Maybe one of the US companies can release a "Shaw Brothers Rarities" line or something.

Celestial still hold worldwide rights. They legally can't put them on DVD.

They're not necessarily all Shaw movies either. There's still the rights issue though.

Guest Markgway
I managed to see a screener copy of THE VILLAINS. Yueh Hua and Chen Hung Lieh play brothers, one good and one bad. Shi Szu has a lot of screen time as well. A good mix of gunplay and basher fights. Very nice score, too. Haven't seen it completely from beginning to end, but it's definitely worth owning for basher, Chu Yuan and THE FUGITIVE (1972) fans. The copy is in widescreen restored, but bears 'Celestial Pictures Limited' at the top (in the picture) and 'Sample' at the bottom (in picture). It's a shame this one didn't come out. Maybe the rest appear on disc at some point. Maybe one of the US companies can release a "Shaw Brothers Rarities" line or something.

Is this available in trading circles?

Is this available in trading circles?

I don't think so. It was given to me recently by someone who worked on the restorations back in 2004. I had planned to do a review for it at my site, but it might bring trouble considering it has those intrusive words in the picture.

Anybody got a list of some of the indies that were discovered?

I'm in Austin, get me the address and I'll sneak in a make a list of the titles.

The Silver Fox

Thanks, I appreciate it. Since the indie films are more than likely public domain, perhaps there is a chance some of them could see the light of day as DVD releases.

Archived