New Shaw DVDs In December

Winfred

I just reminded my HK pals to be on the lookout for the 80+ Shaw titles that were supposed to be coming out starting next month.

They still think I'm NUTS to believe the hoax.

Since I have so much faith in www.shaw-brothers-reloaded.com, I have placed a bet with them.

I have to buy them all a dim-sum dinner if I lose.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bon appetit! Well, sadly you'll have to splash out for your pals, as to our knowledge, Celestial has postponed and/or abandoned all activities in regards to a new second wave of Shaw releases in Asia. There are only some rumours that things did not work out (distribution, new partner etc.) and that CP has shifted their projects and business cases completely. Since the change/replacement of the CEO and the change of some vital staff (at least within the communication and corporate media as several last old sources have left the company) contact has been limited or has come to a complete halt at all and - at least for now - there is no line of communication in regard to this topic and in regard to projects within the company.

Note: It must be said, that this is some astonishing and sobering development, which destroys the last bit of a already fragile communication and trust further and that Celestial seemingly missed out to celebrate and honor the 50th anniversary of the Shaw library in style yet once more. For fans and potential customers it is not comprehensible why this comany (again) screwed up despite preparing fo a relaunch during Spring and Summer and there are many who regret the decision of Shaw Brothers (HK) Ltd. and later the decision of the bigwigs of ASTRO Plc (owner of the library) to entrust the project to CP, a company that has been built up in-house just for the utilization of SB flicks and the preparation of some Chinese language TV movie channels. But over the years conflicting signs already have been plenty and global fanbases always had to suffer as Asian ausiences and moreover customers never quite caught the fever in terms of Shaw home entertainment sales.

Hence, at the end, it is no surprise that things hardly work out over there.

PS: But fans can always rejoice at the fact that international companies are still able to strike some licensing deals including Shaw movies that have not (and will not) be up for grabs in Asia. After "Black magic Part 2" in the USA and "Mini Skirt Gang" in Denmark, Sweden and Norway, now France is the hottest news. 2010 will see the VOD relase of films like "Killers on Wheels", 2011 the VOD release of "The Killer/Savage Knives of Vengeance" and "The Black Enforcer". Furthermore there are regions like the Middle East and EEC which have struck deals including some of the previously unreleased flicks. Now all we can do is wait. But we all are used to that, aren't we?!

What good are these releases if the DVDs do not have English subs like The Mini-Skirt Gang?

Bring out the dim-sum & char siew pau!

Well, as long as the movies are released in good DVD quality, there's always the chance that someone will do a custom-sub for them. This becomes ever more likely if subs already exist in a european language, such as french. Many people speak both french and english so it would not be too much hard work to translate french subs into english. Let's all keep our fingers crossed that this is the case.

Guest HongKongMaster

shaw brothers reloaded is a f****** joke, they should be ban from here for those lies and hoax, it's clear now that their goal was to pissed off peoples, their reliability is under zero forever, i wonder what will be their next hoax?

odioustrident

I definitely tried, among others, to defend this whole thing from naysayers on other forums.. now I feel like an even bigger idiot than before. But still, what are the odds of so many remastered prints never getting distribution? I hope those odds are at least decent.

Well......first the European Tour that never was and then now this.......how long has SadShawFan known that the December releases were not forthcoming but did not post to inform us?

I am very disappointed. No wonder my Celestial executive friend stopped replying my email a few months ago when I insisted the releases were coming and he said they were not but I did not believe him. It must have irritated him for he asked from which source I heard the rumours.

Its possible that this was planned, but just fell apart like so many business deals do... Last year, a friend who visited the Celestial offices was told that To Kill A Mastermind was coming out soon on VCD. We haven't heard anything since. This stuff happens, but its very dissapointing.

It was likely bullshite from very beginning.Mom warned not to believe everything you read from net,particularly from certain websites:squigglemouth:

I was just wondering - is the Shaw Brothers Reloaded site really sponsered by Celestial? The Celestial logo is plastered all over the site. Does Celestial mind that this guy is posting their business plans on the internet? I wonder what's up with that?

I was just wondering - is the Shaw Brothers Reloaded site really sponsered by Celestial?
I doubt that but not impossibility.For Shaw Brothers Reloaded credit they have supported credible info of Shaw releases different areas of globe.

For their discredit even if guy who manages site posted in belief european tour info and these new supposed Shaw releases actually happen he obviously dun bother to check credibility of his sources let alone contact someone who knows better.

But if he posted that info in evil manner just getting enjoyment of many will be disappointed I think he should hang himself.

Guest Markgway

I'm quite amazed that no one has yet done English subs for MINI-SKIRT GANG. I'm sure there are numerous Mandarin speakers on this forum. You would think for films this rare fans would be willing to put the effort in. Same goes for any future French releases. If 'we' don't do something these films will remain alien to English-speaking fans.

I'm quite amazed that no one has yet done English subs for MINI-SKIRT GANG. I'm sure there are numerous Mandarin speakers on this forum. You would think for films this rare fans would be willing to put the effort in. Same goes for any future French releases. If 'we' don't do something these films will remain alien to English-speaking fans.

The fan subbing scene is not so hot for Chinese films. Jamal is one of the few guys out there making moves. There is a ton of stuff just begging to be done. Hopefully we'll see something soon.

Guest Markgway

If I spoke Mandarin I'd do it. Not sure how but I'd make the effort. Surely someone has the desire?

Seems some will go to great lengths to create dubbed versions of existing titles but not bother with subs for rare titles.

Received a reply from my Celestial exec pal. He confirms that the unreleased Shaw movies will be screened on the Celestial Classic Channel with English subs. They will not be released on DVD/VCD.

Received a reply from my Celestial exec pal. He confirms that the unreleased Shaw movies will be screened on the Celestial Classic Channel with English subs. They will not be released on DVD/VCD.

Thank you for that info, Winfred.

Great news, but surprising. Don't they know people are going to tape their telecasts & sell them - ie Redsun.

Nah, that's the least of their problems. The real problem that leads to bootlegging was clearly expressed by the SBR site in their Celestial Movie Stills Gallery section:

"Since the content which is displayed in this section was repeatedly used for illegal activities of bootleggers and other frauds, we have changed the sizes of the licensed stills according to the demand of our partner and legal rights holder Celestial Pictures (HK) Ltd. We regret to have to act this way, but criminal behavior and illegal activities cannot be tolerated and the fans now can thank those culprits who unashamedly ruin their viewing and consuming pleasures. We are sad but we hope that you will understand and accept and we thank you for your kind cooperation!"

A bit ironic since it was Celestial who originally released all these stills, for free in full size, several years ago to any/all without any fear of the mighty bootlegging machine. Oh well. Least they have their priorities straight now.

For their discredit even if guy who manages site posted in belief european tour info and these new supposed Shaw releases actually happen he obviously dun bother to check credibility of his sources let alone contact someone who knows better.

It is quite unfortunate. Two contributors of that site are respected members of the old KFF. Its most disappointing to see the fans get their hopes up only for them to be shattered over and over. Let us remember to take any such future information (from any site) with a grain of salt until such information can be corroborated by a third party.

• Administrator
I want dim sum.

LOL :xd:

Ah, Winfred my brother, I don't fault you at all for believing. To me it seems like they were planning on releasing more DVDs, then they changed their minds (or the deal fell through or something). I was cautiously optimistic the entire time. :nerd:

As others have said- at least this means we'll probably be seeing these. Sure, I'd rather have supported the company by buying the DVD releases than seeing copies of TV broadcasts. But bottom line... these films will finally be seen again.

Archived