Scorpio East's Shaw Brothers releases

Guest Winfred

Guest Winfred

Ling Yun's Twin Blades Of Doom & Tsung Hua's The Swordmates are now on DVD in Singapore. They are released by Scorpioeast. These 2 titles are VCD-only releases in Hong Kong. Grab them while you can.:P

Both are in mono with English/Chinese subtitles and Mandarin dialogue. Price is US$12.90 each. Shipment is US$11.90 with insurance.

www.moviexclusive.com/estore

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Whirlwind

Great news,I`ve been wanting to see these films properly.

I`ve searched the site but can`t see them though,anyone else find them ?

Guest Mr. Vampire

What is the source of the prints, tho? The IVL remasters? If so, they have my order...

Two questions tho:

Are the subs removable? Also, would you mind getting a programme called bitrate14.exe and posting the bitrate readout here per disc for all to see? I am just a bit leery about this, as I have seen 'VCD only' rares turned into DVDs before.

Thanks.

Guest Whirlwind

Mr Vampire,here`s some additional info for you

Both DVD`s come in slipcases like the Celestials used to & the artwork is the same as the VCD`s.The subs are not removable & look the same as on the VCD`s.Although the covers says NTSC both seem to be PAL according to PowerDVD.

Audio is Mandarin Mono

Average bit rate is 6.1MB/sec

No bonus material

Here are the main menu`s & a screen shot from each....

yinyangdaodvd1vi8.jpg

yinyangdaodvd0mp4.jpg

yanniangdvd0dl2.jpg

yanniangdvd1tc6.jpg

The moviexclusive.com people were very helpful & it took about 2 weeks from contacting them to receiving the DVD`s which is pretty good for a special order.

Mine arrived this morning and I'm more than pleased with them.

Like whirlwind said the moviexclusive.com people were very helpful and offer a great, friendly and speedy service! :)

Guest Mr. Vampire

That they would have the same subs layout as the VCD's, I find that very interesting... Like maybe they took the VCD video, filtered & reencoded it?

Does anyone else have a logical explanation as to why they would be like this

instead of having removable subs? I ain't trying to rain on your parade, those of you who did get these, but it's just... interesting.

Here's a rough comparisson between the IVL VCD and the Scorpioeast DVD. The VCD screencaps are shown followed by the corresponding DVD screencap:

pdvd001pc3.png

pdvd002li8.png

pdvd000nu4.png

pdvd003av7.png

Guest RogueWarrior

Mine just arrived. Even they say NTSC on the cover, these discs are actually PAL. I took a look at the files on the discs to make sure.

mistertpitydafoo

I might have to order these someday when I can afford it. I own the vcds, but the quality is subpar compared to how they would be on dvd. I noticed jaman.com has them both in high quality along with The Black Butterfly. I am actually about to watch my vcd of it for the first time (I have seen it a long while ago but it was a rmvb of the vcd) and I was wondering if scorpioeast or any other company has released this one on dvd since it was a vcd exclusive from IVL. It would be nice to have it on dvd, I figure it will happen someday since they have it on jaman.com along with Twin Blades and Swordmates, and those last two have now been released, so I would think The Black Butterfly would be released eventually on dvd. Also anyone who has seen the movie, have you noticed the girl's costume is purple yet she is the black butterfly?

You are observant. Chiao Chiao's costume was purple. Scorpioeast appears to have stopped their Shaw releases. Perhaps Image or Dragon Dynasty will pick this one up and interview Chiao Chiao as a special feature.

You know, I keep forgetting to have that DVD of Black Butterfly subtitled. I was thinking maybe the scorpioeast DVD's came from capturing the Celestial Channel versions?

No, the English subs on the Celestial channel are bigger. Moreover the Celestial channel logo on the top right hand corner will be there if that is the case.

Scorpioeast is back with a few Shaw releases......Bloody Escape, Thunderbolt Fist, Love With The Perfect Stranger, etc.

mistertpitydafoo

Mr. Vampire? DVD of black butterfly? How did you obtain that? If you need any help with subtitles, I have the vcd and can help you. Especially if I can get a copy or trade for a copy. Let me know I'd be glad to make a log of the subs and the times they appear or something similar. Let me know as soon as possible so I can do it before school starts this next semester and I'll be busy. Otherwise I was going to try and figure a way to copy video playing on my computer and get it from jaman.com.

Does anyone have any of the Shaw Brothers / Scorpio East DVDs  (with slipcovers) available for sale or trade? I am looking for Angel Strikes Again, Black Butterfly and Double Bliss for myself -- plus Temptress of a Thousand Faces, Twin Blades of Doom and The Swordmates for a friend. 

On 8/4/2008 at 3:02 PM, mistertpitydafoo said:

I might have to order these someday when I can afford it.

If you did not afford back them I guess impossible to get hold of them anymore. Swordmates is very good movie, I think black butterfly bit overrated maybe rarity adds some to reputation.

@Gaijin84 I have Angel Strikes Again on ScorpioEast. 4:3 Letterbox hard subbed Chinese and English. It's better than the IVL VCD. Here are a couple of shots I have on my hard drive of the Scorpio. If you want to see the menu or a shot with the subs I can get a screen shot of those tomorrow.

angel strikes again - cap 12.png

angel strikes again - cap 16.png

Archived