The Red Heroine

HAZ

Hey Everyone,

Thought that I would post this up. The Red Heroine, a silent kung fu movie from 1929, will be playing in Montreal this November 15 at the Excentris theater. Here is a copy of the press release:

Devil Music: Red Heroine

Live music to 1929 Silent Kung Fu film

Sunday November 15

7:30 pm

15$ | 10$ students

Doors Open at 6:30 for fun food and funky cocktails

eXcentris

3536 boul. Saint-Laurent

www.eXcentris.com

TicketPro: 514 790-1111

www.ticketpro.ca

The Devil Music Ensemble performs their new original score live to the silent martial-arts film, Red Heroine (1929, directed by Wen Yimin). Red Heroine is the only surviving Chinese “Kung Fu” film from the silent era and is a prime example of the terrifically popular Chinese swordplay genre (wuxia pian). The score the DME has composed draws from the traditions of Chinese classical and folk music as well as soundtracks from classic Kung Fu cinema, and is the only modern score to this film.

“Episode six of RED HEROINE, the only surviving episode of the 13-part serial, is a lively tale about the rise of a woman warrior. A rampaging army raids a village and kidnaps a maiden, causing the death of the young woman’s grandmother. At the general’s lair, the captive maiden faces imminent rape, but is rescued by the mysterious Daoist hermit, White Monkey. Three years later, Yun Mei reemerges as a full-fledged warrior, ready to deploy the magic powers learned from White Monkey to avenge her grandmother’s death.”—Cheng-Sim Lim of the UCLA film and television archive.

Formed in Boston in 1999, the Devil Music Ensemble is comprised of Brendon Wood on electric guitar, lap steel, and synthesizer; Jonah Rapino on electric violin, lap steel, vibraphone, erhu (2 string Chinese violin) and synthesizer; and Tim Nylander on drums, and a variety of Chinese percussion instruments.

For more information please visit www.devilmusic.org

To view the Red Heroine trailer, please visit:

KFC contributor Jean Lukish wrote a cool piece about the film for the "Electric Shadows" series. Check it out!

http://www.kungfucinema.com/the-return-of-red-heroine-1929-2910

I hope to see some Montrealers out for this one!

Best,

h

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm looking forward to this. I like the idea of a live ensemble playing the soundtrack. I just hope that the music won't be too western or corny. The poster promoting the event is cool. I'd post it, but I don't know how to post a pdf. lol.

Looking forward to the show!!

Haz - Wish I could be there. And not just to see the movie itself but to be able to interact with others who come out to see such a film. Any chance you can do a little report (photos?) on the whole event? Would really love to hear why others came to see this film and their opinions on the genre over the years. Could make for some interesting reading...

I'm sure it would be one heck of an experience to see this type of film. Like Teako said, would be cool to talk with people and share the opinions on how the genre changed over the century. Seems like there are quite a few people who actually appreciate and respect these films.

Haz - Wish I could be there. And not just to see the movie itself but to be able to interact with others who come out to see such a film. Any chance you can do a little report (photos?) on the whole event? Would really love to hear why others came to see this film and their opinions on the genre over the years. Could make for some interesting reading...

I'll put together something for sure. I don't know what kind of crowd to expect, but I know at least one martial arts film expert who will be in the audience & I'll ask him his impressions of the movie. Maybe I'll get to speak to the band, too.

OK, one more try on the flyer--Here it is ;-)

yeah! the poster is... ok i was expecting sth else xD

anyway thx finaly i have seen it.

now i will wait for some comments for the movie...

btw, sth i dont understand..if there is the film... why nobody released it on dvd,vhs or vcd?!?!

Archived