Fist of Fury: The Legend of Chen Zhen (2010)

AlbertV

Thanks for those review links, DiP – they’ve seriously got me pumped for this.

Love this line in one of the reviews:

It feels a bit like watching a cut of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom where Indy doesn’t get on that flight out of Shanghai.

SOLD!! :tongue:

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry if this has been brought up but does anyone know what language this was filmed in? Cinemas here are playing both Cantonese and Mandarin versions, and I wasn't sure what the 'intended' language was.

Thanks.

The IMDB page suggests it was shot in Cantonese and Japanese.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1456661/

Thanks for that. I wonder why they're showing a Mandarin dub (here) as well. I hope there's nothing different between the two, as the cinema that is easiest to get to (for me) is showing it in Mandarin.

Thanks for that. I wonder why they're showing a Mandarin dub (here) as well. I hope there's nothing different between the two, as the cinema that is easiest to get to (for me) is showing it in Mandarin.

No I am sure it would just be a language difference.

Perhaps they had the choice of picking either a Cantonese or Mandarin language track, and if so I imagine that they are screening it in Cantonese in Chatswood since that area is dominated by HK Chinese from what I know. I'd probably end up seeing it in the city as well though.

No I am sure it would just be a language difference.

Perhaps they had the choice of picking either a Cantonese or Mandarin language track, and if so I imagine that they are screening it in Cantonese in Chatswood since that area is dominated by HK Chinese from what I know. I'd probably end up seeing it in the city as well though.

Ah, fair enough. Chatswood's a bit far for me, Broadway is slightly easier to get to.

I wish these films played in more cinemas though, guess it depends on who gets the rights.

Ah, fair enough. Chatswood's a bit far for me, Broadway is slightly easier to get to.

I wish these films played in more cinemas though, guess it depends on who gets the rights.

Yeah, a few major action titles have found their way down here recently with some theatrical release, "Little Big Soldier", the two sequels to "Ong Bak", the two "Ip Man" films, and hopefully more to come.

I noticed that Tinlunlau has mentioned he believes it could have been a Mainland cut screened at TIFF, which I was beginning to become suspcicious of. Could anybody confirm whether or not this is true...does the upcoming Cantonese version to be shown in HK have a different and likely better cut? If so, this could help explain why so many reviews complained about chopiness of editing and all that, maybe it was a truncated version.

from the East Screen West Screen comment section-

tinlunlau (aka Gary)

September 10, 2010 at 9:11 pm | #

"And while we’re on the topic of “Legend of the Fist: The Return of Chen Zhen”, I came back from the movie last night and I’d have to say that I am slightly disappointed in this film. The sets and costume design looked great. I won’t deny that. But the film kinda goes flat and goes unsure of what it wants to be: a superhero flick or an espionage or Michael Bay’s Pearl Harbor. It just didn’t felt very action packed for the mid-portion of the film and was deviating from the whole “Fist of Fury” theme. Shu Qi’s performance was very commendable and she did a very nice job in her role. Donnie’s just being Donnie. Anthony Wong was a joy to watch as always. Huang Bo is given the role of giving comedic relief.

Also, I saw it at the Elgin Theatre last night. Andrew Lau attended the screening to say a few words (which I will upload on youtube later). There was no Q&A session and the film was presented in Mandarin. The on-screen text was all in simplified Chinese so I believe we were given the Mainland cut here. All in all, I feel like I’ve been ripped off compared to last year’s screening of Johnnie To’s “Vengeance”."

http://kong-cast.com/east-screen-west-screen-40-pigeon-fried-rice

Yeah, a few major action titles have found their way down here recently with some theatrical release, "Little Big Soldier", the two sequels to "Ong Bak", the two "Ip Man" films, and hopefully more to come.

True.

I noticed that Tinlunlau has mentioned he believes it could have been a Mainland cut screened at TIFF, which I was beginning to become suspcicious of. Could anybody confirm whether or not this is true...does the upcoming Cantonese version to be shown in HK have a different and likely better cut? If so, this could help explain why so many reviews complained about chopiness of editing and all that, maybe it was a truncated version.

from the East Screen West Screen comment section-

tinlunlau (aka Gary)

September 10, 2010 at 9:11 pm | #

"And while we’re on the topic of “Legend of the Fist: The Return of Chen Zhen”, I came back from the movie last night and I’d have to say that I am slightly disappointed in this film. The sets and costume design looked great. I won’t deny that. But the film kinda goes flat and goes unsure of what it wants to be: a superhero flick or an espionage or Michael Bay’s Pearl Harbor. It just didn’t felt very action packed for the mid-portion of the film and was deviating from the whole “Fist of Fury” theme. Shu Qi’s performance was very commendable and she did a very nice job in her role. Donnie’s just being Donnie. Anthony Wong was a joy to watch as always. Huang Bo is given the role of giving comedic relief.

Also, I saw it at the Elgin Theatre last night. Andrew Lau attended the screening to say a few words (which I will upload on youtube later). There was no Q&A session and the film was presented in Mandarin. The on-screen text was all in simplified Chinese so I believe we were given the Mainland cut here. All in all, I feel like I’ve been ripped off compared to last year’s screening of Johnnie To’s “Vengeance”."

http://kong-cast.com/east-screen-west-screen-40-pigeon-fried-rice

If that's the case, it seems that Australia could be getting both cuts. I might have to fire off some emails.

Just read Twitch's review of this movie. As with most movies, they ripped it apart. Apparently, the plot sucks and the action sequences are MTV close-up style. In fact, Todd goes as far as to theorize that Donnie Yen might have a body double for "30-40%" of the action sequences.

Wow, has age caught that far up to him?

link - http://twitchfilm.net/reviews/2010/09/tiff-2010-legend-of-the-fist-the-return-of-chen-zhen-review.php

Just read Twitch's review of this movie. As with most movies, they ripped it apart. Apparently, the plot sucks and the action sequences are MTV close-up style. In fact, Todd goes as far as to theorize that Donnie Yen might have a body double for "30-40%" of the action sequences.

link - http://twitchfilm.net/reviews/2010/09/tiff-2010-legend-of-the-fist-the-return-of-chen-zhen-review.php

Thanks for the link. They are real enthusiasts there and have been pretty spot on with their reviews in the past.

Also, I saw it at the Elgin Theatre last night. Andrew Lau attended the screening to say a few words (which I will upload on youtube later). There was no Q&A session and the film was presented in Mandarin. The on-screen text was all in simplified Chinese so I believe we were given the Mainland cut here.

Considering that all of Donnie's movies (starting from Ip Man) in both Mando and Canto have been the same (apart from slight removal of violence), I doubt that we'll get treated to drastic changes for the Canto version. But I hope he's right.

In fact, Todd goes as far as to theorize that Donnie Yen might have a body double for "30-40%" of the action sequences.

Most likely action scenes where he's in his Kato outfit but also when complicated parkour or other similar acrobatic techniques are involved. Since the filmmakers stick with the thought that audiences are supposed to believe that there's no difference when performances are done in disguise because it's hard to tell anyway, they go with the idea that the performer(s) should take advantage of saving effort performing some of the stunts themselves and just let other people do it.

As evident in his last few movies (Ip Man 1 & 2, 14 Blades), Donnie is in fine form and can still hold up his physical performance for the most part so age has not affected him at all. Rather some old injuries.

that last pic looks wired assisted. why that when we have live actioners performing those stunts without wires?

no worries, I am going to enjoy this one. no donnie bashing from me this time around. this looks fun and he has come a long way.

Every modern hong kong actioner features wire-assisted stunts. I think it's because they used to spend so much time and money hiding the wires in the old days, that now they can just CGI them out, they've gone slightly overboard. It always grates with me, 'cos it's just so obvious when a wire scene crops up, even though now you can't actually see the wire.

http://twitchfilm.net/reviews/2010/09/tiff-2010-legend-of-the-fist-return-of-chen-zhen-review.php

There is now another review at twitch that let's say is less than favourable. I hope time, old injuries and new ones haven't caught up with Donnie Yen but then it had to happen one day.

Archived