Fist of Fury: The Legend of Chen Zhen (2010)

AlbertV

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Synopsis

While China is traumatized by military cliques during the Warlord Era in the 1920s, Japan has grown into the most powerful foreign national group there, taking over much of Northern Shanghai. Although the city is being torn by international settlements, the upscale cabaret nightclub Casablanca remains a haven for a mishmash of clientèles who hobnob every night till the sun comes up: Chinese entrepreneurs, British officials, Japanese militaries, and spies who desperately seek to overthrow the growing Japanese power in China.

Everybody comes to Casablanca for a reason, including the mustachioed entrepreneur Ku and the sultry singsong girl Kiki. Ku is none other than the legendary hero Chen Zhen in incognito, who single-handedly avenged his mentor’s death by killing all the Japanese at a dojo in Hongkou years ago. Although rumor has it that he had been killed by the Japanese, he actually escaped to France to fight side by side with other Chinese laborers in contribution to the Allied war effort.

Disguised as a masked warrior at night, Chen now sets out to thwart the imminent Japanese invasion by rescuing as many people as he can from Japan’s “assassination list.” He soon finds himself inextricably enamored with Kiki who is harboring a dangerous secret of her own. When Chen finds out that the Japanese colonel in charge of the Japanese invasion is the son of the Judo master he has killed in the Hongkou dojo, his past inevitably catches up with him, as national pride fueled by personal vendetta guarantees the fiercest final showdown.

http://www.mediaasia.com/movie.php?film_id=258&isFilm=1

Donnie has made Fist of Fury before has he not?

Director Lung Shiu Kee.

Imagine that another remake with the same guy. hahaha

Jingwu Fengyun - Chen Zhen by Andrew Lau is the second opening night film

The movie will be screened (Out of Competition) on September 1st

The new film by Andrew Lau Jingwu fengyun – Chen Zhen (Legend of the Fist: The Return of Chen Zhen), the ideal third episode in the saga of Chen Zhen, the hero brought to the screen by Bruce Lee in Fist of Fury (1972) is the second film on the opening night (Out of Competition), on the occasion of the anniversary of Bruce Lee’s 70th birthday.

The 67th Venice International Film Festival will take place on the Lido from September 1st to 11th 2010, directed by Marco Mueller and organized by la Biennale di Venezia, chaired by Paolo Baratta.

Jingwu fengyun – Chen Zhen (Legend of the Fist: The Return of Chen Zhen) by Andrew Lau, boasts an all-star cast, in addition to superstar Donnie Yen in the role of Chen Zhen, with actors such as the divine Shu Qi, the “Hong Kong Dana Andrews” Anthony Wong and the new comedy star from continental China Huang Bo. Jingwu fengyun – Chen Zhen will be shown in its world premiere screeningin the Sala Grande (Palazzo del Cinema) Wednesday September 1 at 10:00 p.m. for the audience and for all accredited visitors to the Venice Film Festival. Written by Gordon Chan and produced by the Chinese production company Media Asia Films, the film will be distributed internationally by Media Asia Distribution.

For the 70th anniversary of the birth of Bruce Lee, born in 1940, Jingwu Fengyun brings back to the screen the martial arts hero Chen Zhen, the character interpreted by the unforgettable Bruce Lee in Fist of Fury (1972) by Wei Lo, and later by Jet Li in Fist of Legend (1994) by Gordon Chan. Unlike the previous reincarnations of Chen Zhen, in this episode the classic kung-fu film adds an original blend of elements from the spy and super-hero series. This is the new work by Andrew Lau, one of the most famous directors of the Hong Kong film genre, director of Initial D, (presented in 2005 at the Venice Film Festival) and of the legendary trilogy Infernal Affairs, which was the basis for the Hollywood remake The Departed by Martin Scorsese.

Andrew Lau, the director, states: “Chen Zhen was originally a character played by Bruce Lee in the 1972 film, Fist of Fury. This character soon became everyone’s hero, propelling Bruce Lee to international stardom. As a film director, I found it tremendously difficult to tackle this 2010 version of Chen Zhen. Chen Zhen was played by Bruce Lee in 1972, by Jet Li in 1994, and now by Donnie Yen in 2010. How to portray this character in our new generation became the greatest challenge for Gordon Chan, Donnie Yen, and me. And this had to be the greatest trial in my entire career as a cineaste. In this latest version of Chen Zhen, I strived to break out from the shadow of its predecessors by aiming at a genuine breakthrough in the balance of action and drama, in costume and set designs, and in action choreography. Otherwise, there is no point remaking the story. Lastly, 2010 happens to be the 70th birthday of Bruce Lee. I would like to pay tribute to the legendary superstar by making Legend of the Fist: The Return of Chen Zhen a great film”.

http://www.labiennale.org/en/cinema/news/lau.html?back=true

DONNIE YEN CALLS CHEN ZHEN MODEL REALISTIC

July 26, 2010

uhk-23.jpg

LEGEND OF THE FIST THE RETURN OF CHEN ZHEN after confirming to be the September Venice International Film Festival's opening film also has become the Toronto International Film Festival's Special Recommended Film.

The film continued to break into various international market, but the film company still valued the local market as it released various film related items for fans to collect at the talk of the town Book Fair and Comic Book Festival. The 12 inch model was made on July 27, Donnie Yen's birthday. The first print was limited to 1000 sets and will officially be available on July 30 at the comic book festival. The figure would be either in a white Zhongshan suit or a black leather jacket, eye patch and hat. Both costumes were Chen Zhen's most representative costumes. The accessories included a pair of black boots, four pairs of interchangeable hands and classic nunchukus. The cost was HK$980. Chi Tan was rather pleasantly surprised when he saw the model and said that it looked 90% like him. He already ordered ten sets for his collection.

http://hktopten.blogspot.com/2010/07/20100727-donnie-yen-calls-chen-zhen.html

U4175P28T3D3030080F326DT20100727003834.JPG

U4175P28T3D3030080F329DT20100727003834.JPG

U4175P28T3D3030080F328DT20100727003834.JPG

U4175P28T3D3030080F358DT20100727003834.JPG

http://ent.sina.com.cn/m/c/2010-07-27/00383030080.shtml

they look pretty good actually,good sculpts.

I cant wait for this film to come out,its gonna be awesome! :bigsmile:

Donnie Yen's Action Film to Show at 35th TIFF

Hong Kong star Donnie Yen's new action film, "Legend of the Fist: The Return of Chen Zhen," has been chosen as a special presentation film at the 35th Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF), Sina.com reports.

The festival committee announced the news on July 27, the day of Donnie Yen's birthday.

Due to scheduling conflicts, the cast may not all attend the 35th TIFF, which will be held from Sept 9 to 19, 2010. Lead actress Shu Qi will be filming director Feng Xiaogang's film, "If You Are the One 2."

The film has also been chosen as the second opening film for the Venice International Film Festival from Sept. 1 to 11.

"Legend of the Fist: The Return of Chen Zhen" will open in theaters on Sept 21.

http://english.cri.cn/6666/2010/07/27/2482s585215.htm

too bad I didn't get that passport! I would love to see this at TIFF, but gonna have to wait for the dvd!

can anybody, maybe Maz, clear up the language issue w/ this film? the trailers have been in Cantonese, w/ Donnie, Shu Qi, and Anthony all speaking their own lines, while Huang Bo appears to be dubbed. however, the TIFF page lists it as being in Mandarin, and somewhere I heard they shot both Canto and mandarin versions? that wouldn't make sense to shoot every dialogue scene twice, I think they meant there would be Canto and Mandarin dubbed versions like all HK films have. anybody know?

Action Thriller 'Chen Zhen' Unveils Grand Shooting Scenes

The upcoming Chinese action thriller "Legend of the Fist: The Return of Chen Zhen" has released a group of photos of its main shooting scenes, Sina.com.cn reports.

The film is hailed as the most highly-anticipated action thriller of the year. Producers have spent a large amount of money creating the grand shooting scenes - including the Casablanca nightclub, the Hongkou practice room and the European battlefield.

In order to present completely different scenes from the previous Chen Zhen films, director Andrew Lau and his art director have focused on every detail of the whole scene. The layout and display of the Casablanca nightclub will bring you into the year of 1920. And the Hongkou practice room alone took the crew several months to design and another two months to build.

This film also makes some changes regarding the fate of the main character Chen Zhen, who survives after he goes to the Hongkou practice room alone and then engages in the European battle.

The film is scheduled to be on screen on September 22.

http://english.cri.cn/6666/2010/07/29/2521s585626.htm

These Chinese heroes seem to get to much of a God like treatment when put to the movies. I think enough is enough. I stick to the Bruce Lee version.

I wonder about "Chen Zhen" He probably kicked some Japanese ass maybe 3 or 4 but when put to the screen like in Bruce Lee's version 50 or so guys he wasted. And now there going to be most likely 500 with Donnie

I think it is sad to see historical dramas just for entertainment reasons i want truth and correctness when it's suppose to be based on actual event. Or is it just fiction?

I read someplace years back about Chen Zhen that he was shot and that he died.

heard that from a woman I knew that was from Shanghai also she was a teacher and proudly told me this story. that he was a big hero but he was killed right after his meeting with the Japanese.

Guest Yi-Long
These Chinese heroes seem to get to much of a God like treatment when put to the movies. I think enough is enough. I stick to the Bruce Lee version.

I wonder about "Chen Zhen" He probably kicked some Japanese ass maybe 3 or 4 but when put to the screen like in Bruce Lee's version 50 or so guys he wasted. And now there going to be most likely 500 with Donnie

I think it is sad to see historical dramas just for entertainment reasons i want truth and correctness when it's suppose to be based on actual event. Or is it just fiction?

I read someplace years back about Chen Zhen that he was shot and that he died.

heard that from a woman I knew that was from Shanghai also she was a teacher and proudly told me this story. that he was a big hero but he was killed right after his meeting with the Japanese.

As far as I know, it's a fictional character. There are some indications that there WAS a student called Chen Zhen, but the whole story around him was just made up.

Where have I been? I had no idea this movie was even in production until I saw the trailer for it on the R1 Ip Man DVD. I think this looks incredible! Donnie Yen looks good with a mustache, and Shu Qui has never looked so good to me in those pictures.

Well Go confirms Chen Zhen deal

Sales News

Well Go USA, the US distributor, has confirmed its pick up of North American Rights to Legend of the Fist: The Return of Chen Zhen (精武風雲).

"Legend of the Fist: The Return of Chen Zhen is another key acquisition for us as we continue to build our library of important Asian films for the US market,” said Well Go President, Doris Pfardrescher, in a statement.

The Donnie Yen (甄子丹)-starring action film is directed by Andrew Lau (劉偉強) and gets its premiere in Venice as a co-opening film. It will follow that with a trip to Toronto, where it will receive a gala screening. The deal was struck with Hong Kong-based Media Asia Group (寰亞電影有限公司).

Release in its home market of China is set for 21 Sept 2010.

Well Go, which has recently acquired several of the Ip Man (葉問) titles, says it will release Chen Zhen in Spring 2011.

http://www.filmbiz.asia/news/well-go-confirms-chen-zhen-deal

I just read that on Twitch and the good news is that Well Go is going to release the film theatrically in Spring 2011.

bamboo spear

I haven't read all 15 pages of this thread, but does anyone know if Yasuaki Kurata is playing the same character? In other words, is this just another Chen Zhen / Ho Yuan Jia story, or an actual sequel to Fist of Legend?

Archived