Fist of Fury: The Legend of Chen Zhen (2010)

AlbertV

OpiumKungFuCracker
MA movies set in WW1 or WW2? There's plenty of them as far as ancient times go, check Shaw Bros movies.

Do you know any of the titles? I need to find them if not all.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TibetanWhiteCrane

It's probably because war is fought with guns, rendering martial arts abilities pretty fucking useless. It was attempted by Shaws in films like Boxer Rebellion and Seven Man Army, but it got pretty ridiculous in both of those.

If you got into the intelligence and spy stuff playing out in war time but away from the battlefield, then theres more opportunity, but that really makes the war setting kinda useless then.

OpiumKungFuCracker
It's probably because war is fought with guns, rendering martial arts abilities pretty fucking useless. It was attempted by Shaws in films like Boxer Rebellion and Seven Man Army, but it got pretty ridiculous in both of those.

If you got into the intelligence and spy stuff playing out in war time but away from the battlefield, then theres more opportunity, but that really makes the war setting kinda useless then.

I wouldn't mind having both gun fu and kung fu in a movie. I could have sworn there was a van damn movie like that set during war time?

OpiumKungFuCracker
You mean Legionaire?

Yes!!!! Looks like I have got myself a triple feature/ Legionaire/Seven Men Army/Boxer's Rebellion. If you guys know anymore films like this, let me know please. I can list this on letterbx or something.

ShaOW!linDude
Yes!!!! Looks like I have got myself a triple feature/ Legionaire/Seven Men Army/Boxer's Rebellion. If you guys know anymore films like this, let me know please. I can list this on letterbx or something.

WARNING! No fu in LEGIONNAIRE.

One Armed Boxer

Adding to the list of Shaw Brothers war based kung-fu movies, I'd throw 'Anonymous Heroes' into this category as well.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Also Magnificent Warriors, but I think that film actually pulled it off to great effect, same with Eastern Condors... it can be done.

Shaw war/army movies that come to mind:

Anonymous Heroes

Boxer Rebellion

7 Man Army

Naval Commandos

Also, King Hu's first movie was Shaw's Sons of the Good Earth (1965)---I have that but haven't watched it yet. It's set during WWII, but I think it's a straight drama/action war movie with no martial arts.

I saw the movie and sorry to say, I was disappointed. There was not much action in it. The film started fairly strong and had a good ending

I liked movie except last 10 mins. When Donnie enters dojo things start to go wrong. One man taking on 10`s of budokas been done better of course in FOF but also even in "kiss of the dragon".

Those Bruce Lee poses looked stupid, clones did them better in 197*`s..

Also fight against last japanese was letdown.

Definitely worth watching once, storyline is good but I think it`s more likely this will go into 2nd hand shop than to the dvd-player again.

I was pretty disappointed with the film. The first action scene was great. No doubt about it. Unfortunately, as has been stated, Donnie is unable to contribute anything new to 4 decades worth of dojo fights and the final one-on-one isn't that great. The plot thread involving the assassinations of Chinese authorities isn't the least bit compelling either.

Unfortunately, as has been stated, Donnie is unable to contribute anything new to 4 decades worth of dojo fights and the final one-on-one isn't that great.

While Sammo Hung and Tony Leung Siu-Hung is credited for being responsible for the action choreography, Donnie actually ha alot of input on the famous dojo fight in Ip Man. If you take a close look at every fight scene throughout the film, you'll see that it's very different in combining the intricate WC techniques and conspiring them all without looking exaggerated - like, say, the Yip Man vs Jin Shan Zhao fight where the techniques went overboard and all over the place - and is quite realistic-looking in comparison. That's a touch I always find in films action-directed by Donnie himself. Sammo must've handled camera positioning and shooting while he gave Donnie freedom on how to set-up the overall fight choreography for the scene.

I hated the moment in the dojo fight when Donnie uses 2 cuts for his triple kick. Clearly it looks better in 1 take and he can still do it so why have it in 2?

I hated the moment in the dojo fight when Donnie uses 2 cuts for his triple kick. Clearly it looks better in 1 take and he can still do it so why have it in 2?

I think in earlier of movie wires were used for aerial kicks. I would have taken "usual" jump kicks over those anytime, as you said donnie can deliver those. Might looks less impressive for younger audience but not for us oldtimers.

While Sammo Hung and Tony Leung Siu-Hung is credited for being responsible for the action choreography, Donnie actually ha alot of input on the famous dojo fight in Ip Man. If you take a close look at every fight scene throughout the film, you'll see that it's very different in combining the intricate WC techniques and conspiring them all without looking exaggerated - like, say, the Yip Man vs Jin Shan Zhao fight where the techniques went overboard and all over the place - and is quite realistic-looking in comparison. That's a touch I always find in films action-directed by Donnie himself. Sammo must've handled camera positioning and shooting while he gave Donnie freedom on how to set-up the overall fight choreography for the scene.

Even so, you'd think that with Donnie Yen synthesizing everything he's done in more than 20 years in the business into the fights from RETURN OF CHEN ZHEN (i.e. trademark kicks, parkour, grappling, fast hands/wing chun, etc.), he would've been able to do something a little more innovative than with what we eventually got in the dojo fight.

I blame that on his obsession of trying to surpass his dojo fight from the TV series. Despite that, he actually did surpass the whole series with the war scene as well as the other fights (fights on the streets, library fight) up until final fights. Plus with his more than 20 years in the business, he has spent those efforts doing much better in other films.

I didn't find anything overtly wrong with the dojo fight in this film, but it ultimately felt like he was simply rehashing what he did in the TV series. The war sequence was the best in the movie; I wasn't blown away with everything in the middle.

I think the group fight is a hell lot better than the one from the TV series. No apparent speed-up and it has a bit more variety in the choreography.

Archived