Fist of Fury: The Legend of Chen Zhen (2010)

AlbertV

Honestly Donnie is at the top of his game, I cannot see this movie as being a failure, as the critics have been so blatant about it. It going to have to come from us die hard fans to really see what we think about this movie. And I'm sure we're going to be split on it like every other movie that we review. Just look at Ong -Bak #2 half of everyone on here hated it, and the rest loved it! So that's my point.

daisho2004, I respect your views on the films we have seen together. But I will have to hold you to this quote. Andy Lau kicked ass as the director, and Yen is at the top of his game. Something got lost in the translation. Primarily the editing. I know, in a Hong Kong film nonetheless it was sadly edited by what seems a college intern. Rushed, editing techniques broken all over the place.

They really should have taken their time in post. Especially the last 3rd of the film and all the fights. You and I have similar opinions on these ma films. I'd be surprised if you end up enjoying it as much as you expect. I didn't.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

VenomsFan: I hope I'm right but I haven't seen this movie yet so I'm still looking forward to it. But I'm still going into it with an open mind, I'll post my review as soon as I see it.

Chinatown Kid

Being a big Donnie Yen fan I'm looking forward to seeing this as well, Yen usually does not disappoint! :bigsmile:

I managed to get an unsubbed, good quality of the movie but I'll just save that for later and go through the action briefly.

Since reviews around the net are referring to the Mandarin version I cannot be sure whether or not they cut out any portion of the action. But I really enjoyed them all. The only problems I find with them is the duration (all but the finale lasts less than 2 min) and the editing. Had these been fulfilled, this could've been a huge improvement to Dragon Tiger Gate in terms of shooting and choreographing fight scenes. Seeing Bodyguards & Assassins (Donnie/Cung Le fight) and this makes me wonder whether Donnie actually partakes in the editing process of his new movies these days or if he has passed that for others to do.

hey DIP, what about the opening scene, is it also less than 2 minutes or longer? that is what most have been saying is the best...what is your opinion? and how would you compare the editing to Bodyguards and Assassins? I thought the editing was tolerable in B&A, if it's only as bad as that it'll be alright. please don't tell me it's on some all-time low Hollywood type shit like Transporter 3 where the editing truly ruins the fight sequence!

Just got my hands on a subtitled copy.

Watched the first ten minutes or so - the WW1 opening, as short as it is, is very well done, so I'm keeping an open mind but am preparing to be underwhelmed!

hey DIP, what about the opening scene, is it also less than 2 minutes or longer? that is what most have been saying is the best...what is your opinion? and how would you compare the editing to Bodyguards and Assassins? I thought the editing was tolerable in B&A, if it's only as bad as that it'll be alright. please don't tell me it's on some all-time low Hollywood type shit like Transporter 3 where the editing truly ruins the fight sequence!

The whole opening scene is 8-10 min but the amount of MA action lasts 2 min minimum (including some non-action moments), the rest before the finale are slightly shorter.

As far as editing goes, I think the style is a combination of B&A and Ip Man 2 back-to-back if that makes sense. It doesn't have the usual Hollywood feel of fast editing as the editing have quite a rhythm to it but it's still a bit fast at times.

But we all can agree that Ong Bak 3 sucks right? :)

Honestly Donnie is at the top of his game, I cannot see this movie as being a failure, as the critics have been so blatant about it. It going to have to come from us die hard fans to really see what we think about this movie. And I'm sure we're going to be split on it like every other movie that we review. Just look at Ong -Bak #2 half of everyone on here hated it, and the rest loved it! So that's my point.

i dunno, after waiting 2 years and being a huge fan of Tony Jaa, i still enjoyed ong bak 3. yes, it had major flaws, but given all the production problems etc. they still did a much better job than a lot of films.

will watch chen zhen shortly and post my thoughts

i dunno, after waiting 2 years and being a huge fan of Tony Jaa, i still enjoyed ong bak 3. yes, it had major flaws, but given all the production problems etc. they still did a much better job than a lot of films.

will watch chen zhen shortly and post my thoughts

I totally agree, I thought the same thing...Ong Bak 3 was a great film. I didn't get all the hate on it.

I'm hoping for the same on Chen Zhen as well.

Morgoth Bauglir

I watched the final fight on youtube, or at least it sure seemed like a final fight. It was enough for me to look forward to the movie when it comes out. Nothing too special, but good. I like that the use of wires is extremely limited, and the wirework that’s there is pretty decently done.

Spoiler alert- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHFOhIm8AA8&feature=player_embedded

The good thing about ong bak is that the story was simple, yet there was a lot going on. Chen Zhen is a lot of sitting at the dinner table talking. I hope u guys enjoy watching people sit down..:)

saw this lastnites,fights were good but found it abit slow not one of Donnies Best id love to see him doi something else like flashpoint and more mma based fighting again.

Any word on when we might see this State-side?

Well Go USA has rights to this (a trailer was included on their 'Ip Man' blu-ray). Well Go will release Ip Man 2 theatrically in late January then on video on March 30 2011. I suspect we'll have to wait till after March '11 to see LOTF in US theatres. We got a while.

You can find a subbed version if you know where to look. I thought the movie was a bit slow in the middle but I really enjoyed it as a whole. Donnie does his usual flurry fights but I seemed to feel the hits and kicks more in this than in other films of his. So, if you want to see the character continued, it is worth checking out. Much better than DRAGON IN FURY (FIST OF LEGENDS 3) with Dragon Shek though.

Good review haven't seen it myself just clips

U spelt peace wrong maybe a pc error or you using an iPad?

Rein of assassins is ace Dave

Watched the film, definately a mixed bag but worth a look..you can find my full review on my blog here...

ASIAN CINEMA BLOG

Your review summed it up PERFECTLY. While the first 5-6 minutes strted in spectacular fashion...it was almost TO over the top IMO.

While this movie was not as good as it should or could of been, It was nowhere near as bad as some of the reviews I read on here and elsewhere.

Archived