Sonny Chiba vs. Bruce Lee

Guest moviegyrl

Guest moviegyrl

I think these guys were equal in charisma. But, who do you think would have topped the other in an on-screen bout?

Aw, c'mon! Answer this one for 'old school' sake! 8o

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Squid Lips

Well, an on screen bout could go either way because it's a movie :)

But, my guess is, Bruce was more interested in being the hero and Chiba would not have minded playing the bad guy so, Bruce in my opinion.

In real life, Bruce as well since he was such the mainac trainer and Chiba certainly didn't have Lee's fighting skill (but dig watching his crazy moves on film).

Chiba certainly didn't have Lee's fighting skill (but dig watching his crazy moves on film).

Chiba was no "poor man's kung fu uncle" by any means. He did moves the way he did because he was on camera and they're meant to entertain.

Guest HwangDi

I'll go with Bruce Lee. I don't know much about Sonny Chiba though. In the movie it would be Bruce but in real life he still probably has the upper edge.

What about Hwang Jang Lee or Bolo Yeung against Bruce?

Guest killer meteor

Hwang Jang Lee is so dangerous I actually think he could beat Bruce. Were it not for the fact that once Bruce tastes his blood, he becomes damn well indestructible

Guest Chinatown Kid

My personal opinion is that Bruce was a superior martial artist, onscreen and off. His moves looked alot more fluid, quicker and graceful onscreen than Chiba's. I'm not saying Chiba wasn't an authentic martial artist because he was, I believe he had blackbelts and was proficent in Karate, Judo, and Kendo. He was rather rough and raw on screen and Bruce's movements looked alot nicer and more powerful. I like them both....

I've heard many people say Hwang Jang Lee was the real deal as well, people like Roy Horan comment that his speed and power were absolutely amazing!

Guest morgoth

Bruce Lee would win, but Chiba definitely had a fire inside of him and great martial arts abilities. In terms of acting, Bruce was no match.

and Hwang could probably take Bolo, Chiba, and Bruce one by one. Maybe a two on one with Chiba and Bolo.

Guest kungfusamurai

It's a tough call. I mean, we all know about how fast Bruce was and how quick he could take someone down, but did he ever fight a bout in a tournament using his Jeet Kune Do? I know, in real life it's all about what you can do on the street, but when you're fighting in a street fight, I think even the best trained martial artist can be taken down if he's up against someone who's got determination (and a sh**load of adrenaline) on his side.

So it's really hard to say if Bruce would really be able to beat Sonny or the other way around. Both of them were fast, from what we can see on screen, and they both were trained in various styles of martial arts. I mean, Sonny could have prepared by studying Bruce's patterns of movement, so he could anticipate what kind of attack Bruce would mount. And Bruce would probably have done the same with Sonny.

There are so many other factors that could be involved as well, like if Bruce or Sonny were mentally or physically 100%, if Bruce has smoked some pot before the match, etc... So really, there isn't any answer.

KFS

Guest rindge

Chiba Chiba ya'll. Bruce was nice but I'd put my money on Chiba in a heartbeat. Class A martial artist and pretty damn brutal. I don't think with Bruce with all of his speed would have compared.

Guest Markgway

I'm sure Chiba knows his stuff... but his on-screen martial arts was a joke. I could do better in my living room. About 80% of Chiba in The Street Fighter was grunting and posing by which time Lee would have kicked his head off and banged Ting Pei in the meantime. If anyone could give Lee a run for his money I guess it would be Hwang.

Guest morgoth

True, but anybody in the kung fu movie world who you think could beat chang Shan? (Hundreds of names start pouring in:p )

Guest Lei Kung

I've heard some rumours about these guys over the years, probably from here at the forum. I don't know the legitimacy of them though.

Sonny Chiba used to be in a no holds barred fighting club of some sort.

Hwang Jang Li trained the South Korean army in martial arts and he once killed a guy in a bar room brawl.

Bruce Lee smoked pot?

Chuck Norris roundhouse kicked a salesman over the phone.

Guest mongol
I think Chan Shan could take on Hwang.

After seeing him in Shaolin Temple Strikes Back, I'm convinced this man had the speed, fluidity of movement, sharp kicks and fists that set him apart from the more well known superkickers. Even doing Hwang's trade mark triple sides against the main star (hero).

Not bad with weapons either.

Guest Chinatown Kid
Bruce Lee smoked pot?

I believe it would be more correct to say he ate Cannabis because he wasn't a smoker. Bob Wall claims Bruce liked to eat Hash cookies as he found it a way to relax because he was such a wired up person. Traces of cannabis were found in his stomach after an autopsy was preformed, his own Doctor speculates an allergic reaction to the drug may have been responsible for his death.

Thought I'd revive this thread. :D

I think Chang Shan was the type of fighter Bruce "admired". He would want to study a guy before "testing" him. I'm not totally convinced who would win... however, it'd be a hell of a view!

:nerd:

I think some of those writing books about Lee today would have won over all of them. By boring them all to death!

... I think some of those writing books about Lee today would have won over all of them. By boring them all to death!

:mad:

Give Chiba a sword, and Lee would be toast. :P

his own Doctor speculates an allergic reaction to the drug may have been responsible for his death.

For some reason that seems outrageous to me, but what do I know?....

shaolin drunkard

Hwang Jang Li trained the South Korean army in martial arts and he once killed a guy in a bar room brawl.

Not quite.(Vietnamese?) knife expert was continuously challenging Hwang and saying his kicks never beat a fast blade.Ultimately Hwang accepted challenge and kicked his temple in....

The Dragon
Not quite.(Vietnamese?) knife expert was continuously challenging Hwang and saying his kicks never beat a fast blade.Ultimately Hwang accepted challenge and kicked his temple in....

D'oh!!

:o

jiujitsu77

asking me this is like asking me to choose between pizza and chicken

i can't live without them both

i hold bruce on a pedestal, but i kinda think chiba would get his licks in....and bruce would probably win, but without an eye

oh hell what do i know.

Archived