Kung Fu Chefs (2009)

lillippa328

Actually, let me elaborate as I hate when people just state something is bad and don’t give reason.

“Kung Fu Chefs” tries to tread the line between kung fu movie and comedy. The problem is that it doesn’t have anywhere near enough of either element. Sammo Hung is tragically underused and I don’t really recall any moment that had me properly laughing. In short, it’s boring. I almost turned it off but made it through to the totally unfulfilling ending.

It’s best to avoid.

silver hermit

it was ok, nothing crazy. it feels like a return to the 90's style. a lot of goofy comedy if you like downbeat darker films its not for you. the burned in subs made it look more like a throwback :xd: not sure if the ment it that way

One Armed Boxer

Sorry...but what does this mean - :neutral:

"hey it's not QUIET the POS many think"

What made me think that Kozo gave it a good review from a kung-fu perspective were the following quotes -

Thanks to decent fight scenes, fun cooking scenes and the presence of the venerable Sammo Hung, the film surpasses its numerous negatives to deliver something approximating decent, harmless fun.

Unlike the disappointing Kung Fu Fighter, Kung Fu Chef delivers solid fight sequences that recall light Hong Kong fare from years past. The action isn't bloody or over the top, but it's not marred by extraneous editing, sometimes allowing for more than your usual two or three points of contact per shot.

I will check it out...as long as it's not as bad as 'Legendary Assassin' & 'Twins Mission' I'll be happy, it's 2009 and we have to take what we can get!

The HK dvd is out this week, which presumably won't have burned in subs.

I saw the film in the theatres back in March or so and I liked it. It's not the greatest film but it's fun.

The movie is playing on Tubi with English dubbing (ITN Distribution scored the North American rights). I watched it for the 1st time yesterday....it was okay. Nothing spectacular, but an enjoyable popcorn flick IMO. Reminded me a bit of God of Cookery minus the OTT humor from Stephen Chow. 

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 1