Favorite Samurai fight scene...

Tosh

On 4/2/2023 at 3:24 PM, Yihetuan said:

@Shosetsu, who in your opinion was the better swordsman between the two brothers Katsu and Wakayama? I mean in terms of onscreen ability and off IRL?

To answer your question, I know that the fact that those two were brothers prompted you to ask that question, but for me it comes down to a matter of preference as far as Sword techniques.  Because Wakayama in his Kozure films used the katana which he wielded in standard chudan grip, which can be even seen in modern day kendo tournaments as well.  Whereas Katsu as Zatoichi held his Sword in an Unconventional Underhanded grip.  That kind of grip left me cold because it severely limits the variety of movements.  Ichi has to wait until his attackers come in very close to prove his effectiveness.   

On the other hand, I like that same underhanded grip when it's used by a ninja because it fits the stealth-type tactics of ninjutsu, if you know what I mean.  That underhanded grip can be seen most impressively in the TV series Abarenbo Shogun where actor Hiroshi Miyauchi plays a ninja.

In that TV series what's interesting is that the Shogun uses the technique of Mine-uchi, which means he flips his blade over to its back edge, the blunt side, when he fights, so that the hits won't cut but instead just knock his foes unconscious.

By the way, Yihetuan, thanks for remembering me after all this time.  I was pleasantly surprised when I received your msg.  I've always enjoyed the dialogues with you.  Now that I answered your question, I have a question for you as well. How did you like the Wakayama episodes that you ordered?  I forget--was it for his Samurai Bounty Hunter series or his other series the Mute Samurai?  I would appreciate seeing a review from you.

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Thanks @Shosetsu for your detailed explanation and reply. Yes, it was the Bounty Hunter series but I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I've fallen behind in watching the movies that are in my queue and unfortunately, I haven't got around to it yet. But I will definitely leave a review once I viewed the series in its entirety.

PXL_20230405_033459452.MP.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/4/2023 at 5:38 PM, Yihetuan said:

Thanks @Shosetsu for your detailed explanation and reply. Yes, it was the Bounty Hunter series but I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I've fallen behind in watching the movies that are in my queue and unfortunately, I haven't got around to it yet. But I will definitely leave a review once I viewed the series in its entirety.

PXL_20230405_033459452.MP.jpg

In a comparison between Wakayama's Bounty Hunter series and Wakayama's Mute Samurai series, I found Bounty Hunter to be sometimes lighthearted whereas his other series to be much too dismal and bleak.  The latter series has very tragic story lines and even the episode endings are not happy at all. 

The Mute samurai is produced by Katsu Productions, and Katsu himself appears in a few of the early episodes.

• Like 3

Of actual historical Sword-fights, the vendetta of Araki  Mataemon is a famous one. The following video is a very well done dramatization of the True-life vendetta, starring film veteran Kotaro Satomi.

• Like 2

To add to what I said earlier about Shogun Yoshimune using the Mineuchi technique, that is, using the back edge of his blade so he can knock out his foes without harm--let me also add Toyama Kinsan, the Tattooed Magistrate, because Kinsan also used Mineuchi as he had to take the criminals alive to stand trial in court, especially because he was the magistrate who presided over those court proceedings. 

The version I saw the most was the one starring Sugi Ryotaro.  Next to that was the Nakamura Umenosuke version.  Umenosuke also had the titular role in the series, Daruma Daisuke.  This was the one where the characters used to practice the popular Japanese tradition of painting the eyeballs on the  Daruma doll in order to celebrate success in a particular endeavor.  It was done at the ending of every tv episode.  That's why the name of the character was Daruma Daisuke.

Edited by Shosetsu
  • Like 2

Although it says movie, this is actually an episode from a TV-series, Yoshimune.  Not only great ninja action but also a great storyline.  Great storyline so it's worth it to watch from start to finish. As I said, just a TV episode so it's quite short.  

• Like 2