Favorite Samurai fight scene...

Tosh

I think mine has to be in the second Samurai Trilogy, the part he walks into the ambush knowing, takes them out into the rice patty and hacks them down, then again the end of Sword of Doom is badass!

To Me the best Fight scene has to be from "The Betrayal" starring Ichikawa Raizo the finally was Awesome!

This tale of betrayal and revenge features one of the greatest swordfights in motion picture history. It rivals SWORD OF DOOM in its intensity and duration. ICHIKAWA Raizo’s fighting in this film is far and away the best of his career. Betrayed by the elders of his clan, and blamed for a murder he did not commit, his unrelenting fury against those who falsely accused him comes to one of the most exciting conclusions ever filmed!

BlackLamaFaction

This is one of my favorites from Yojimbo:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuAskRsP5K0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuAskRsP5K0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I have several but most involve Toshiro Mifune

Guest WuxiaFan

LONE WOLF AND CUB [1]: SWORD OF VENGEANCE:

Ambush at Ito's house after wife was killed - phenomenal scene!

LONE WOLF AND CUB [2]: BABY CART AT THE RIVER STYX:

Finale - unbelievable geysers of blood!

AZUMI

Finale - one of my favorites!

KILL BILL, VOL 1:

House of Blue Leaves in color!

RONINGAI

Finale - the entire movie builds up to the finale which is incredibly suspenseful!

TWILIGHT SAMURAI

Finale in the house - very realistic and suspenseful!

Zatoichi 12 --Zatoichi and the Chess Expert

Ichi befriends Jumonji Tadasu (Mikio Narita) and their friendship builds through playing chess until the finale. The fight against the Jumonji is one of Zatoichi's best in all of his 26 films!

Zatoichi 15 --Zatoichi's Cane Sword

The finale in this episode was particularly exciting and suspenseful! One of Zatoichi's best!

Zatoichi 17 --Zatoichi Challenged

This episode is one of the best Zatoichi movies out of the 26, and the finale is my all time favorite out of all 26 films! The finale against Tajuro Akazuka (Jushiro Konoe) is the most suspenseful, most exciting, and the one finale that I believe to be most realistic! If I described it, it would spoil it. Go and watch it!

Wandering Ginza Butterfly 2: She-Cat Gambler

Finale with the stunningly gorgeous Meiko Kaji and Sonny Chiba is incredible!

There are others, but those are some of my favorites!

The ambush scene right before the big finale of Samurai Assassin. Toshiro Mifune has been drawn on by three swordsmen, and they have their blades at his neck. He cuts all three down in a second. My favorite, and a great movie altogether.

Although a Yakuza rather than Samurai flick, the ending of Sydney Pollack's The Yakuza is probably my favorite filmed swordfight, with the possible exception of Darth Maul's "Duel of the Fates". Ken Takakura just owns all in that swordfight. I grew up with Black Rain, and didn't see The Yakuza until the mid-90's, and never knew that ol' gentle Masahiro Matsumoto was such a badass with a blade!

Lone Wolf and Cub is probably my favorite source for Samurai action. The end fight in Samurai Rebellion is another that comes to mind. And you can't go wrong with Sword Of Doom.

The end fight in The Betrayal. Ichikawa Raizo fights off 40+ enemies. As the movie comes down to its final minutes, Raizo continues to fight as he struggles with exhaustion.

• Like 3

Terrific fight scene from Abare Hasshu.  At first is a brief dialogue-scene in the villain's hideout. Then comes the sword action.

• Like 2

I still have Yagyu Ichizoku No Inbo(Yagyu Conspiracies) on dvd but one of my favorite fight scenes was Shogun's Shadow with Chinba and Ogata Ken.

I loved anything by Tomisaburo Wakayama, Kinya Kitaoji, and of course Sonny Chiba

• Like 2

Swordfight of Satomi Kotaro as Matsudaira Ukon.  The clip begins with a short dialogue at the villain's hideout. Then comes the Swordfight.

• Like 2

Ooft too many to choose just one but finale of makai tensho (samurai reincarnation) between sonny chiba and tomisaburo wakayama in the burning castle, final fight in sanjuro with the gallons of chocolate sauce or lone wolf vs the masters of death from shogun assassin/baby cart at river styx have to on my mount rushmore of samurai fight scenes.

• Like 3

Jizzmaster Jerry

Am I blind or is there no sub forum for Japanese cinema?  

I need to catch up on samurai flicks.  I’ve seen all of Lone Wolf and Zatoichi and others mentioned here, but what is the best samurai fight scene?  They are usually very quick and extremely different from Chinese sword fights which I have more knowledge of.    I’ll have to get back here one day to try and name a favorite.  

• Like 3