Jimmy Wang Yu - "Worst guy I've ever worked with"

mpm74

Cognoscente
On 11/4/2009 at 12:55 AM, dionbrother said:

Wang Yu is hardly the first or last action star to treat co-workers like dirt. I've heard the same thing about everybody from Clint Eastwood to Wesley Snipes or Jim Kelly, Van Damme, Seagal, Jackie Chan, and even Stephen Chow. If more of us could read Chinese gossip magazines, we'd probably know of more in Hong Kong. Jerks are part of the film business.

What about Jet Li?

• Like 3

Cognoscente

I wonder if JWY was the worst guy that Nora ever sat with. The below was taken from the June '71 issue (#182) of International Screen. I like how they chose Nora to be on the cover instead of JWY.

182 71 IS.jpg

s-l1600 (8).jpg

• Like 4

NoKUNGFUforYU

I put up an interview a while back. Wang Yu was terrible to the stuntmen, and Bruce was really strange, as he did not want to be touched, which is weird, since you are making a movie with a lot of contact. Supposedly some Korean was very rough (Whang In Sik?) and Bruce had to lay into him to get him to chill out. Tony Liu, pretty boy bad guy in the Big Boss has had court cases for beating his wives and of course Jackie's neglect and treatment of his kids is no secret. On the flip side, Ho Chung Tao/Bruce Li is incredibly nice, as is perennial villain Yukio Someno, who always puts up pictures of him and his sweet black dogs on Facebook, and he's always happy when people say hello or send him a dog picture. That's right, this guy- 

SomenoYukio-23-b.jpg

• Like 6

NoKUNGFUforYU

And Chen Kuan Tai likes to visit kung fu schools (I'm sure all expenses paid) and is a fan of the genre. He remembers old movies very well in interviews, unlike say, Derek Yee....

• Like 7

dionbrother
On 6/11/2021 at 3:07 PM, Cognoscente said:

What about Jet Li?

I've heard Jet Li is great on the set.  Of course, stuntmen will be fighting with one of Jet's 14 movement doubles!

• Like 6

Killer Meteor
10 hours ago, Cognoscente said:

I wonder if JWY was the worst guy that Nora ever sat with. The below was taken from the June '71 issue (#182) of International Screen. I like how they chose Nora to be on the cover instead of JWY.

182 71 IS.jpg

Wang Yu is really going for the Jo Shishido look there.

• Like 5

Jesse Smooth
17 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

And Chen Kuan Tai likes to visit kung fu schools (I'm sure all expenses paid) and is a fan of the genre. He remembers old movies very well in interviews, unlike say, Derek Yee....

Memories. Chen smokes Marlboro, so he’s cool!

• Like 5

Cognoscente
17 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Either Derek remembers so much that he doesn't know where to begin (so he's overwhelmed and lazy) or there are a lot of negative memories he has which might reflect badly on himself or others, especially those who are deceased.

• Like 4

Killer Meteor
20 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

I put up an interview a while back. Wang Yu was terrible to the stuntmen, and Bruce was really strange, as he did not want to be touched, which is weird, since you are making a movie with a lot of contact. Supposedly some Korean was very rough (Whang In Sik?) and Bruce had to lay into him to get him to chill out. Tony Liu, pretty boy bad guy in the Big Boss has had court cases for beating his wives and of course Jackie's neglect and treatment of his kids is no secret. On the flip side, Ho Chung Tao/Bruce Li is incredibly nice, as is perennial villain Yukio Someno, who always puts up pictures of him and his sweet black dogs on Facebook, and he's always happy when people say hello or send him a dog picture. That's right, this guy- 

I seem to recall reading Wei Ping-ao was abusive to his wife too...

• Like 4

Jesse Smooth

At one point Li Yi Min would send Candy Crush requests on Facebook and Tsai Hung will reply to messages with Peanuts (Charlie Brown) emojis. Robert Tai used to engage with the fans on FB, as well as the late Chang Chung Kuei (of “Crippled Masters” fame). Several Kung fu movie people are on FB and have been nice in messages (such as Yu Tien Lung). I don’t want to bug these people because I don’t want to be ‘THAT FAN’, but they’re up there in age and it would be cool to learn the business and genre from them.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

I seem to recall reading Wei Ping-ao was abusive to his wife too...

That's unfortunate. Considering the roles he played, you'd think that any woman he married could beat the hell out of him.

• Like 3

dionbrother
2 hours ago, DrNgor said:

That's unfortunate. Considering the roles he played, you'd think that any woman he married could beat the hell out of him.

Keep in mind, it was Bruce Lee that taught Wei Ping Ao the fey homosexual routine. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

TibetanWhiteCrane
4 hours ago, DrNgor said:

He did two years in prison for attempted murder on the guy banging his wife... def had a temper.

• Like 4

Neither did I. He was more hardcore than his roles let on. I hope one of his co-stars pulled no punches on him during a fight scene at some point in his career.

• Like 2

Killer Meteor
2 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

He did two years in prison for attempted murder on the guy banging his wife... def had a temper.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Cognoscente

Imagine if the HK entertainment industry had their own version of the O.J. Simpson trial, the abusive husband would have been punished more heavily.

• Like 2

Jizzmaster Jerry

It’s been confirmed several times that Jimmy was not the nicest guy.  But maybe he did what he did to get the job done.  Writing the script and directing the movie while being the lead actor had to incredibly difficult.  I’ve always been curious what his regular actors had to say about him.  Has anyone ever interviewed Lung Fei?  I think that interview would have to be its own Blu Ray.  Needs to be at least 4 hours long.  Would Jimmy smack around someone like Kam Kong or Chen Sing?  I really doubt it.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jizzmaster Jerry said:

It’s been confirmed several times that Jimmy was not the nicest guy.  But maybe he did what he did to get the job done.  Writing the script and directing the movie while being the lead actor had to incredibly difficult.  I’ve always been curious what his regular actors had to say about him.  Has anyone ever interviewed Lung Fei?  I think that interview would have to be its own Blu Ray.  Needs to be at least 4 hours long.  Would Jimmy smack around someone like Kam Kong or Chen Sing?  I really doubt it.  

He wouldn't need to smack those guys around with his triad connections, he'd just get some lackeys or enforcers to do it.

I recently watched Man from Hong Kong, mainly for Sammo. Not for Jimmy Wang Wu.

I couldn't believe what I saw in the making of, with him catching flies for the kissing scenes. 

That kissing scene didn't give the game away at all. Any person to do that just needs a right smack in the gob.

PandaPawPaw

I've only recently got to see some JWW films but I had no idea he was such a bellend!

How long is the NOT QUITE HOLLYWOOD MFHK segment?

Is this the whole thing?

Edited by PandaPawPaw