Jimmy Wang Yu - "Worst guy I've ever worked with"

mpm74

I watched a documentary about Australian exploitation films called NOT QUITE HOLLYWOOD (http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.551990/qx/details.htm) and there is a nice segment about MAN FROM HONG KONG (complete with making of footage); most of it consists of co-stars/production staff bad-mouthing Wang Yu...

Just some facts:

1) Just to disrespect his female co-star, Wang Yu used to catch flies with his hand and eat them before a "kissing scene"

2) For his own personal pleasure, he would purposely rub himself all over his co-star to "stage" sex scenes...

3) Had no respect for anyone but himself on the set.

4) Tried to take over the directing job (which is why the Hong Kong prints list him as director as well)

lol!

My questions is: In HK is he notorious for these same kind of acts? I know about his triad connections (and all that Jackie Chan/Lo Wei drama), but was he douche there as much as he was when he was working in Australia with Brian Trenchard-Smith?

Killer Meteor
I watched a documentary about Australian exploitation films called NOT QUITE HOLLYWOOD (http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.551990/qx/details.htm) and there is a nice segment about MAN FROM HONG KONG (complete with making of footage); most of it consists of co-stars/production staff bad-mouthing Wang Yu...

Just some facts:

1) Just to disrespect his female co-star, Wang Yu used to catch flies with his hand and eat them before a "kissing scene"

2) For his own personal pleasure, he would purposely rub himself all over his co-star to "stage" sex scenes...

3) Had no respect for anyone but himself on the set.

4) Tried to take over the directing job (which is why the Hong Kong prints list him as director as well)

lol!

My questions is: In HK is he notorious for these same kind of acts? I know about his triad connections (and all that Jackie Chan/Lo Wei drama), but was he douche there as much as he was when he was working in Australia with Brian Trenchard-Smith?

I think there's an interview with Cheng Pei Pei where she is quite critical of him.

The Running Man

I find it ironic.

Asian men in Hollywood are treated like crap by only limiting them to play as stereotypes that are anything but strong, confident and positive leads.

And here comes this big Western production giving its opportunity to an Asian man just that but he only goes out of his way to piss everyone off at every turn.

I don't know... the people who are interviewed seem pretty dead on. Even Lazenby himself bad-mouthed the guy.

You guys should try and rent the documentary... it's really cool.

DeathFuMaster
I don't know... the people who are interviewed seem pretty dead on. Even Lazenby himself bad-mouthed the guy.

You guys should try and rent the documentary... it's really cool.

I was thinking about getting it, is it have a lot of other cool stuff?

Hugh Keays-Byrne (Toecutter from Mad Max) worked on the film and according to an old issue of Shock Cinema he didn't really say anything bad about Jimmy Wang Yu but then again in the interview he didn't really say much about the film either.

Is he featured in this documentary?

Simultaneously disappointing yet amusing to read that. Though to be honest if I was responsible for Master Of The Flying Guillotine I'd probably have a bit of an ego too!

silver hermit

they just jealous :smile: those guys opinion DON"T MATTER :xd: maybe they couldn't handle an asian with an opinion and couldn't deal with giving the man the respect he deserved.:xd: maybe they were expecting the stereotypical running dog type like mr. wu in fist of fury :tongue:

Guest Markgway
they just jealous :smile: those guys opinion DON"T MATTER :xd: maybe they couldn't handle an asian with an opinion and couldn't deal with giving the man the respect he deserved.:xd: maybe they were expecting the stereotypical running dog type like mr. wu in fist of fury :tongue:

Or maybe he's just an asshole...

DeathFuMaster: Yes, it does. Highly recommended.

Atherton: Nope. Just the director and some of the other co-stars. But Toe-cutter isn't interviewed.

Its a known fact how much of a douche bag the guy was... sad but he still made a few gems in his career. And just to pass on, "NOT QUITE HOLLYWOOD" is divided in sections, the first section is about the aussie sexploitation movies. This part of the movie had more schlong in it than what has been inside Paris Hilton... :neutral: After this segment, it gets more interesting.

Guest Markgway
And just to pass on, "NOT QUITE HOLLYWOOD" is divided in sections, the first section is about the aussie sexploitation movies. This part of the movie had more schlong in it than what has been inside Paris Hilton... :neutral: After this segment, it gets more interesting.

I was interested in seeing this but a whole bunch of dicks puts me off.

At least tell me there's pussy-a-plenty on display.... :ooh:

instant noodles

Pretty interesting stuff,thx for posting:angel:..in general what is issue?It`s known fact many musicstars,athletes and actors are swines in real life.It still does not hurt their career and no matter how much Jimmy Wang Yu porks around it still does not make me love some his movies any less.

I wasn't there to say it's true or a lie, but a good part of it does sound a lot like BS. Gossip and the movie industry... heh. Me, I just watch them movies.

Guest Markgway
no matter how much Jimmy Wang Yu porks around it still does not make me love some his movies any less.

And nor should it... as long as people realise the difference between the man and the myth.

On the MAN FROM HONG KONG Aussie dvd commentary, Brian Trenchard-Smith says Jimmy pulled imaginary flies out of the air as part of his weird humor. He also said that while Jimmy was awful to him during filming, he apologized to him when the film was completed. However, Grant Page thought Wang Yu was great to work with in their fight scene.

I thought NOT QUITE HOLLYWOOD was great, but some comments I'd take with a grain of salt.

HK stuntmen didn't like Wang Yu either, since he had a tendency to go full contact during fight scenes. Jimmy is also known for public brawling. I was told by a Taiwanese friend that he got into a fight over a parking space just a few years ago.

But really, do you think Jackie Chan is any better? Imagine if Jackie had acted like Jimmy on the set of BIG BRAWL or THE PROTECTOR? Might have been better movies. And if you think Jackie is nice to stuntmen, ask any of the men who worked on DRAGON LORD during the sports scenes.

• Like 2