Vampire Girl vs. Frankenstein Girl

froffeecoffee

froffeecoffee

Caught a screening of this from the makers of Machine Girl and Tokyo Gore Police. Like those, it was over-the-top gory with outrageous characters and story. This was a more complete plot than the earlier M.G. and T.G.P and is not as mindless.

I really dug the soundtrack. A bit of surf, J-Pop, and ballad.

Warning though, there are some Ganguro girls that really push the racial stereotypes of African-Americans. The filmmakers attempt was to show the absurdity of the trend. That's all I'm saying about that.

Really cool movie though. A lot of fun.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a huge fan of the over the top gore, kind of gets redundant, the name is to good to pass up though so I'll give it a watch at some point.

I have, in fact, seen this movie four times. Not because it's necessarily quite THAT great, but because it's a perfect beer movie to enjoy with friends. An awful lot of fun, although it may require a bit of genre and j-pop culture knowledge. The film's j-pop culture satire is actually not as over the top as one might think. It becomes all the funnier when you've come across these ganguro girls, goth lolis and others in real life.

I also love the film's spirit, despite a few over-done scenes. Like Nishimura said, it really is a love-comedy-splatter. The whole romance part is totally adorable, and the cast play their parts really well. The highly Tarantino esque soundtrack (ranging from cheesy love songs to spaghetti western tunes and epic chorus) is one of the best in years... There's also lots of references to other horror films from Cannibal Holocaust to Nishimura's own films. Nishimura typically works with his concepts in both short movies and feature length movies, so characters from his shorts make appearances in his theatrical films and the other way round.

As you're surely aware, Nishimura and pals have long traditions of making spin off short movies for their films. Vampire Girl vs Frankenstein Girl is no exception, being accompanied by the excellent 15 minute Vampire Frankenstein Girl. You'll get to see the ganguro girls return, Trippi’s girls Maki Daimon and Youko Kobayashi perform Pinky Love in front of camera, Tsugumi Nagasawa fly like a bird, Cay Izumi dancing topless, another on screen appearance by Maki Mizui...

VFG1.jpg

VFG2.jpg

VFG3.jpg

VFG4.jpg

VFG5.jpg

Quite possibly one of the worst films I have ever seen. Clumsily made, endless fountains of red water, very bad acting and worst of all, not funny. I admit the jabs at youth culture are quite funny as ideas, but it's just executed so damn bad that it actually made me angry. I mean, how can you make a movie that is about being gory and then have the wrist cutters club not actually cutting themselves?! (until the competition late in the movie that is) Just a very, very bad movie.

Is this short only on the japanese release?

I think so. I don't have any other releases. US audiences usually get screwed in terms of extras, with a lot of barebones releases. Almost all of the Japanese releases of these films were two disc sets with making of's, spin off movies, soundtrack CDs etc.

The film's that (I'm aware of) have spin offs are

Meatball Machine: Reject of Death, and What's About Doi

The Machine Girl: Shyness Machine Girl

Tokyo Gore Police: TGP Short Collection, including 3 short movies and fake commercials

Vampire Girl vs Frankenstein Girl: Vampire Frankenstein Girl

RoboGeisha: Geisha Cop

Mutant Girls Squad: Yoshie Zero

The shorts are 10-15 minutes in length.

Vampire Girl vs Frankenstein Girl R2J

vgfg1ss.jpg

vgfg2ss.jpg

vgfg3s.jpg

Disc 1: Movie (84:25)

Video: 1.78:1 Anamorphic widescreen (progressive)

Audio: Japanese DD 2.0 (192 kbps)

Subtitles: None

+ Premiere (20:36)

+ Making Of, Part I (14:16)

Disc 2: Extras

Making Of, Part II (49:58)

Spin off movie (15:31)

Vampire Girl in Texas (6:54)

Photo gallery

Disc 3: Soundtrack CD (66:54)

1. Intro - Pinky Battle Action (5:13)

2. PINKY LOVE – Pretty Trippy’s Version (4:05) (performed by Trippy’s)

3. At the School (2:47)

4. Wrist Cut Club (2:16)

5. Monami (2:34)

6. Da Jugon’s Blood (2:03)

7. Can You Do It (3:19)

8. Locker Room Suspense (1:41)

9. Midori Caught a Blood (2:27)

10. Kenji’s Laboratory (4:02)

11. Wrist Cut Winner Is (3:40)

12. MAN HUNT (4:02) (Performed by Tomohiro Odawara)

13. Vampire Hunter (2:58)

14. Jealosy (2:20)

15. High School Murder Case (2:51)

16. Keiko Returns (3:04)

17. Le Dernier Vampire – Une Croix Du Sang (2:16)

18. Battle at Tokyo Tower (2:43)

19. Vampire Girl vs. Frankenstein Girl (4:59)

20. Blood Will Tell (3:44)

21. Liquid Sunshine V.G. vs F.G. Version (4:53) (Performed by metalmouse)

22. BONUS TRACK: Doki Doki School Days (3:50) (performed by Trippy’s)

Packaging

- Three sleeve digipack

- 40 page booklet

- Artwork card

(these are limited to first press)

Quite possibly one of the worst films I have ever seen. Clumsily made, endless fountains of red water, very bad acting and worst of all, not funny. I admit the jabs at youth culture are quite funny as ideas, but it's just executed so damn bad that it actually made me angry. I mean, how can you make a movie that is about being gory and then have the wrist cutters club not actually cutting themselves?! (until the competition late in the movie that is) Just a very, very bad movie.

I agree. That movie is just awful. I guess you have to be a fan of the genre to like it and I'm not. I was just curious to see it. Maybe I should have drank a few shots of scotch and a couple of beers before! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Archived