"Where The Wild Things Are"

daisho2004

Now 1st. Off let me say that I loved this Book growing up, but I didn't know there was more than one about "Max & the Wild Things". Now with that said I will say that I couldn't wait to see it! But after watching it tonight with my Son I think I should've waited a little bit longer. You think this is a movie for Kids but its really not at all. Its Very Dark in some aspects and Light Hearted in others. It really shows the emotions that Adults go through, and putting that on the screen for Kids wasn't my Idea of a Good Day at the movies! My Son who is 7yrs. cried at the end, because Max left his family of the Wild Things, and he couldn't get over that fact. The Lead WT(Carol) was Bi-Polar and Very Violent, even ripping an arm off one of the other Wild Things in a fit of RAGE! The SP-FX were totally awesome. But I wouldn't rush to take your Kids to see this movie in my own opinion.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BlackLamaFaction

I think it was to be expected that the film would be more than just a typical exploration of a childs book. I mean Spike Jones is known for making some of the more highly original films of the last decade(Especially Those based on Charlie Kaufman scripts; Being John Malkavich, Adaptation). I remember hearing about a lot of dissagreement between Jones and the studio, about the overall tone of the film, I thought a compromise must have been reached because Jones' name still appears on the film. Did you think the film just didn't succeed as a childrens film or did Jones' vision just miss the mark overall? I am a fan of his films and was gonna check it out. I kind of applaud him for trying something different, there are certainly plenty of Pixar animated childrens films out there that play by the normal studio rules.

BLF: This was by far not a Children's movie, it was more based towards Teenagers and Adults. I loved the book and still do, but to me the movie kinda ruined how I view the book now. I just wish he (Jones) stayed more true to the tone of the Book instead of the way he went!

BlackLamaFaction

I know what your saying. It's been so long since i've read that book i can't even remember the tone. I don't remember it as scary or disturbing or violent in any way. So I guess the film is really something different. I have to admit the way you described it sounds intriguing so I think I'll still go see it. However I don't think I'll bring my little brother or sister.

Guest WuxiaFan
Now 1st. Off let me say that I loved this Book growing up, but I didn't know there was more than one about "Max & the Wild Things". Now with that said I will say that I couldn't wait to see it! But after watching it tonight with my Son I think I should've waited a little bit longer. You think this is a movie for Kids but its really not at all. Its Very Dark in some aspects and Light Hearted in others. It really shows the emotions that Adults go through, and putting that on the screen for Kids wasn't my Idea of a Good Day at the movies! My Son who is 7yrs. cried at the end, because Max left his family of the Wild Things, and he couldn't get over that fact. The Lead WT(Carol) was Bi-Polar and Very Violent, even ripping an arm off one of the other Wild Things in a fit of RAGE! The SP-FX were totally awesome. But I wouldn't rush to take your Kids to see this movie in my own opinion.

Daisho - thanks for your thoughts on the film! I was wondering about it, but when I saw the PG rating, I knew I would not be able to take my 9 yo son. I don't get why Hollywood takes a classic children's book and turns it into a movie that's probably not appropriate for the children reading/listening to the book! :squigglemouth:

I don't remember this book at all. All of my friends say they used to love it when they were kids, but I don't recognize it one bit. I was looking thru one of the books (might've been the 1st one) at my friends house cause he bought it for his son. The book makes absolutely no sense at all. It just looks like the little boy dropped some acid and had a good trip in his bedroom. lol Fucking weird book.

WuxiaFan: No problem, I love all the Kids movies I get more excited then my 7yr. old when there coming out, but this was not at all what I was expecting. The lead Creature's voice was James (Tony Soprano) Gandolfini and when he went crazy you thought you were watching Tony Soprano but in a Creature suit. So enough said!

Guest WuxiaFan
The book makes absolutely no sense at all. It just looks like the little boy dropped some acid and had a good trip in his bedroom. lol Fucking weird book.

:neutral:

I don't make a point to publicly rip Forum members, but your post above deserves to be ripped. Obviously, you don't have kids, but if you do, I really feel sorry for them. Where the Wild Things Are is widely considered one of the greatest children's books ever written. And let me emphasize, it's a children's book, mean to spur the child's imagination. It's not meant to be a book for adults to take seriously, and to reference it to drugs is just plain moronic, idiotic, and stupid!

:neutral:

I don't make a point to publicly rip Forum members, but your post above deserves to be ripped. Obviously, you don't have kids, but if you do, I really feel sorry for them. Where the Wild Things Are is widely considered one of the greatest children's books ever written. And let me emphasize, it's a children's book, mean to spur the child's imagination. It's not meant to be a book for adults to take seriously, and to reference it to drugs is just plain moronic, idiotic, and stupid!

Wow, kid. Calm down. Don't take this shit so personal. :tongue: lol

All I was saying was this book looks hella trippy. That's all.

when I saw the PG rating, I knew I would not be able to take my 9 yo son

your kid is going to have some serious issues growing up.

Guest WuxiaFan
Wow, kid. Calm down. Don't take this shit so personal. :tongue: lol

All I was saying was this book looks hella trippy. That's all.

Well, I'm 41, but still a kid at heart, though. I wasn't taking it personally, I just thought your take on the book was hella trippy.:wink:

your kid is going to have some serious issues growing up.

WTF do you know about my kid? :neutral:

Archived