The Bloody Hero(Meng fei and Unicorn Chan)

ching li

This looks to be a rare one, Meng fei and Unicorn Chan. It came out in 1976, I didn't know Unicorn chan was still involved with making movies, let alone with Meng fei. Has anyone seen this one? I wondered if it is under another title, because I remember seeing Unicorn chan in a martial arts movie that came on the USA network back in the day, but I always thought it was the fist of unicorn, after viewing that movie, it is definitely not it. I tried to find a synopsis on The Bloody Hero, but had no luck.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now, there is another film which could be another title for the bloody hero called the whirlwind boxer which also stars meng fei. It looks to be made around the same year as the bloody hero and is a basher for real. Well I have purchased the bloody hero off ebay, I'll write a little synopsis of it when I view it. Hopefully it is a good basher

It came out on tape in the states on Master Arts label and on DVD from Xenon. A Filipino co-production. Ruben Ramos and Ernie Ortega are the main bad guys. As far as other Hong Kong or Taiwan / Filipino co-productions from that era it's one of the better ones, I wish they made more of them. The plot is kind of strange, not sure what era it's supposed to take place, I think a lot of this is due to the english dubbing. As noted by rdenn Meng Fei wears traditional Chinese funeral wear but their Father is played by a Filipino actor and a traditional Filipino dance is scene (what country is this supposed to take place). Some people dress in modern clothing 70's but a sub-plot about invading Japanese comes in a later in the film (what era is this film supposed to take place?)

Like rdenn said, the fights are more basher style and very plentiful towards the end.

I think I still have an old movie postcard of Meng Fei - Unicorn in a Taiwan/Filipino movie. Don't remember the title, but could be this movie.

Now, there is another film which could be another title for the bloody hero called the whirlwind boxer which also stars meng fei. It looks to be made around the same year as the bloody hero and is a basher for real. Well I have purchased the bloody hero off ebay, I'll write a little synopsis of it when I view it. Hopefully it is a good basher

"A Bloody Hero" (1976) is the full title of the film, aka Blood Hero. It was made in the Phillipines. Someone had a very good copy of it, clean and letterboxed, and had uploaded a scene on youtube. I have been searching for it ever since.

"Enter the Whirlwind Boxer" is the alternate title of "Prodigal Boxer 2" and also known as "Young Hero of Shaolin"(1975).

Hope it is the good copy, because it looks like a lot of fun, though dramatic.

I finally saw this movie and this is indeed the movie I saw on the USA network back in the early 90's. This is the second time I have seen this movie because I had forgotten the name of it. I didn't know that the other lead besides Unicorn Chan was Meng fei, actually I thought he was Lau Wing. But the movie was as good as I remembered with a good storyline. Some crooks tried to buy Unicorn Chan and Meng fei's characters father land, and Unicorn chan was willing to sign it over to them because he was entice by the money. Because they were holding out, the thugs came through and caused a fight which led their father to die. Meng fei blamed Unicorn Chan for this, but the brothers reunited in the end, to get their revenge. Unicorn Chan fought really well as did Meng fei of course. It was a good movie and good balance of drama as well as action. I would recommend it.

How is the dvd copy? Is it widescreen? Is it a clean print?

:yociexp11:

Ok, my copy is from the master arts video, so it is on vhs. It is full screen, and it is a little clear with a few jumps in the screen here and there, but for the most part it is good.

The two main bad guys seem to not really do much fighting until the end. The main bad guy at the end is Ruben Ramos who's in a lot of Bruce Le Filipino movies usually twirling the double knives. The main henchman is Ernie Ortega who fought Chuck Norris in the first Missing in Action (he played Vinh), you'll also see him in some of the Bruce Le Filipino shot films. I notice he sometimes plays a Japanese Samurai and uses the two handed sword style (I wonder if he trained in that previously?). There's a few other featured Chinese henchmen, don't remember them off the top of my head.

Archived