update

bobo

it seems that dragondynasty has finally updated thier site. SHAWS are to be released in JUNE. also some mention of a SPECIAL SHAWS COLLECTION in NOV. also a 2 disc release of LAST HURRAH FOR CHIVALRY--some golden harvest tittles (HAPKIDO)plus others--check out thier site for more details.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Vorvadoss

?? I checked the site and its still the same. Could you provide a link to the stuff. All I see on there is the recent DD listings no Shaw' stuff.

Guest Vorvadoss

Hehe guess I am blind then.. I dont see no news tab on there site and the url you posted does not work for me. :(

Guest Vorvadoss

I swear that is sooo wierd.. I could not see the new page till just now. I kept seeing the old website that they had. I even emptied out my cashe and such still kept seeing the old one. Once I used the link to the blog I can now see the new site. Geeesh I must have some bigass gremlins in my computer.

Guest HANZOSTEEL

I see Quentin Tarantino is presenting a Tony Ja film why? Just because he made that Kill Bill he's suddenly

the ambassador from the us for china, and martial arts films? Does anyone know what this guy has done

because as far as martial arts films besides there is nothing i know of that he has ever done besides

Kill Bill which was released almost a decade ago.

I wish before he would do this that he would make some more martial arts films. He's acting like he's mister

Moo Goo Gai Pan over here when he's nobody but Peter Pan... at least to me.

I saw he also presented hostile and who knows how many other films. Can someone tell me what he's done?

At least he's not as bad as those sellouts Jay and Silent bob. Now those guys OMG Nevermind!

Guest HANZOSTEEL

and now i read this?

Quentin Tarantino presents The Shaw Brothers’ Collection (titles to be confirmed)

Maybe just maybe he is worse than Jay and Silent Bob

Guest Atomic Mystery Monster
I see Quentin Tarantino is presenting a Tony Ja film why? Just because he made that Kill Bill he's suddenly the ambassador from the us for china, and martial arts films? Does anyone know what this guy has done because as far as martial arts films besides there is nothing i know of that he has ever done besides Kill Bill which was released almost a decade ago.

This is because the Weinsteins have a hard-on for Quentin Tarantino; they're under the impression that anything he's involved with will make money and that he's the go-to guy for Asian stuff. They probably got that idea due to his numerous references to Asian movies in interviews and his references to them in his own movies (The Sonny Chiba mention in TRUE ROMANCE, KILL BILL 1-2). His name recognition is definitely another factor.

I remember back when PRINCESS MONONOKE got released in the US, it was noted that the Weinsteins tried to get Tarantino to do the translation and he flat-out told them he was the wrong guy for the job. I've also heard that he was able to get them to stop sitting on HERO by letting them attach his name to the movie (They'd done something similar with IRON MONKEY). I'm not fond of the guy, but stuff like that shows that he has his uses/isn't all that bad (Well, those and how he openly admitted to not being a professional director).

I saw he also presented hostile and who knows how many other films.

He's friends with the guy who made HOSTEL, so it would not surprise me at all to learn that he let Roth name-drop him in order help his buddy sell more movie tickets.

Can someone tell me what he's done?

Sure. Just look here and here.

...those sellouts Jay and Silent bob.

How so? Are you referring to the actors who play those characters or the characters themselves?

Guest HANZOSTEEL
Sure. Just look here and here.

Well thanks i dont really see why they would think he was so perfect for putting up martial arts films

that's what i was reffering to. Thanks for the links but i care to know about anything else in refference

in this instance besides martial arts.

I did that that Hostel 2 was coming out this year super.

I definitely dont want to see Quentin Tarantino riding someone else's name just because of his name.

It's ok but to do it all the time just because of his name? No Way.. He was all over Robert Rodriquez

Jock on sin city as well. Everyone knows he was never even there. Maybe if i walk into the mall i should

hire Quentin Tarantino to present me then i would be special or Maybe when i walk out of my house in

the morning i should here ''Presented by Quentin Tarantino" Look This guys has his hands out in more

ways than one do you follow me. I know he's great and i appreciate but oh well to me he will always be

Peter Pan and never Mr Goo Gai Pan.

If he want to make another Martial Arts movie OK but dont talk about someone elses so much. LOL

Quentin Tarantino is doing more riding in the Last two years than a little monkey on it's momma back.

But whatever im sure people will disagree with me. Hope you at least know what i mean.

...those sellouts Jay and Silent bob.

Ha well i was just Joking about Jay and Silent Bob, the alter egos of Kevin Smith and his freind.

Everyone knows they should be running for President/Vice President come election.

Guest VonHumboldtFleischer

Far be it from me to leap to defend Tarantino's honour, but I think you'll find his putting his name on other people's movies is more of a favour to them than to himself. Now, I'm saying this as someone who would be happy to pay a few dollars extra for any Dragon Dynasty release that had the words "Quentin Tarantino presents" removed from the cover.

But to be fair, I don't see what benefit there is for Quentin Tarantino in "riding" on Eli Roth's name, or putting his own name to the low-budget quickie Scott Spiegel movie HER NAME IS MODESTY. I hate to speak kindly of the man, but it seems to me that his endorsements reflect either his own enthusiasm for the project, his friendship with the filmmaker, or both.

If you're going to criticize Tarantino it's probably wisest to be critical of him as a filmmaker than make bizarre assumptions about his motives and character.

Guest HungSzeKuan

for me it slappin tarantinos name on martial arts films will get them on the us market quicker then im all for it. with hopefully original english dubs of course. isnt that what we want?

Guest Atomic Mystery Monster
Well thanks i dont really see why they would think he was so perfect for putting up martial arts films that's what i was reffering to. Thanks for the links but i care to know about anything else in refference in this instance besides martial arts.

Oh, I thought you asking what has he done in general; my bad. My money's on the Weinsteins latching onto the fact that a lot of his movies are popular and that he's openly declared an interest in Asian films (with KILL BILL sealing the deal). The only other things I can possible think of are when his "Rolling Thunder" home video company (which might've been owned by Miramax) released CHUNG KING EXPRESS and MIGHTY PEKING MAN.

I've also heard that New Line's restored (at least for the first one) VHS and laserdiscs of the STREETFIGHTER movies were a deliberate attempt at cashing in on the interest generated in Sonny Chiba due to Tarantino referencing him in TRUE ROMANCE, so the Weinsteins might not be the only ones guilty of forming that connection.

I definitely dont want to see Quentin Tarantino riding someone else's name just because of his name.It's ok but to do it all the time just because of his name? No Way.. He was all over Robert Rodriquez Jock on sin city as well.

Maybe I'm reading your post wrong, but I'm getting the impression that you think Tarantino's doing this on purpose instead of someone in a company's marketing department/executive/etc. deciding to cash in on the guy's name. I'm all for making fun of him for being overexposed (and sounding like a bad Jay Leno imitator, etc.), but let's not blame him for something he didn't do. If I'm wrong about this, please let me know.

Everyone knows he was never even there.

Well, technically, he was there...for a day. This was due to a goofy little contract his friend Robert Rodriguez and he set up, where if Rodriguez would do the score for KILL BILL: VOLUME 2 for a dollar, then Tarantino would direct a scene in one of Rodriguez's movies-so Rodriguez could capitalize on his popularity-for a dollar.

Quentin Tarantino is doing more riding in the Last two years than a little monkey on it's momma back. But whatever im sure people will disagree with me. Hope you at least know what i mean.

I think I do. Don't get me wrong, I don't like him (I'm far too fond of saying a movie "...has the oily stench of Quentin Tarantino all over it" to ever really like the guy/give up saying that), but I do feel that there's at least a positive side to this. If it's going to take slapping his name on a DVD cover to get some classic martial arts movies released in America without fear of the Weinsteins just sitting on the rights, I'm fine with that. It would be great if he told the Weinsteins to back off (like he did with PRINCESS MONONOKE), but it wouldn't surprise me if he knows deep down that this gravy train can't last forever (especially with his expensive habit of collecting film reels) and that he needs all the money he can get before people lose interest in him and he's out of a job.

Archived