City of Angels - Rittikrai's English Language Debut

AlbertV

I just read this from the Hollywood Reporter

Panna Rittikrai and Prachya Pinkaew are going to make their English Language debut on a new action thriller titled City of Angels. Starring will be Robin Shou and Dwayne Johnson. Pinkaew will helm the film with Rittikrai serving as action director for XYZ Films.

The Hollywood Reporter

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Yi-Long

Why waste a lead role on Robin Shou!? He'll just need to get doubled anyway, and acting-wise he's nothing special either, so he's only there cause he has SOME name-recognition (and not for the right reasons).

Why not just use Joe Eigo or something, if you want a martial artist who can speak english as well!?

At least The Rock is doing another action movie, it'll be interesting to see how Panna utilizes The Rock in the action scenes.

Guest Yi-Long
You seen Tiger Cage 2?

Nope. Still haven't seen it, due to it not having a DVD-release, sadly...

Why!? Is Shou good in it!? And if he is, why isn't he good in his other movies!?

Shou is a good martial artist, but there may be some more complicated moves Rittikrai may use in which yeah, he may need a double.

Some may remember that a young Tony Jaa doubled Shou for a very complicated kick against Dennis Keiffer's Baraka in Mortal Kombat Annihilation (1997).

I uploaded these screen shots of the kick on an old thread here :)

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5623

(Scroll down for the shots)

I'm hopeful, but cautious about this. These guys action style is so brutal that I'm wondering if they'll be able to pull of the same look with the additional insurance considerations that will be necessary in the states.

Archived