Favorite Van Damme

DeathFuMaster

I would have to say these are my favorites:

1) Bloodsport

2)Kick Boxer

3)Double Impact

4) Universal Soldier # 3: I thought was the best one.

Honestly I really haven't watched that many of his B-Movies.

I was a huge Van Damme fan growing up, but now, after seeing stars like Jet Li and Jackie Chan, I think he's a joke. He was good during thet ime when they only wanted whites to do martial arts. I notice in his new movies, he's more like Jackie Chan, but he's really a joke. The below are great movies though, but I don't really see myself wanting to enjoy the past.

Kickboxer

Lion Heart

Double Impact

Bloodsport

ShaOW!linDude

I don't know about everybody else but I'd warn you to stay away from:

In Hell

Wake of Death

Legionnaire

Desert Heat

His first 5 or 6 films, to me, are his best. And with the exception of "Bloodsport", I don't think any of them are on a par with his display in "No Retreat/No Surrender". He absolutely stole that movie away and got the break he deserved.

In the 'man hunts man' sub-genre of action films, "Hard Target" rules. But "Surviving the Game" is awesome as well (there's no JCVD in it).

Top 5 Van Dammage for me:

Hard Target (wish someone would clean up that so-called Directors Cut and put it out)

Bloodsport

Double Impact

Death Warrant

That clip of him on Brazilian TV busting out a boner

KNOCK OFF!!

JCVD!!

One Armed Boxer.... ekisha, Cheers!

Besides, COOLEST F'ING TRAILER EVER:

I have to see Hard Target again... been a long time.

Guest Yi-Long

- Kickboxer. Great movie, great soundtrack.

- Bloodsport. Good movie.

- Hard Target. Woo's best american movie. Van Damme's best american movie. Shame about the mullet.

- Wake of Death. Very good.

- J.C.V.D. Very entertaining movie, and Jean-Claude is really convincing in his role as Jean-Claude. Great acting. Cool story as well.

I have never been large Van Damme fan, but if i have to choose then:

No Retreat, No Surrender

Kickboxer

Double Impact

For some reason i never liked Blood Sport so much, only good thing there is Bolo and maybe Roy Chiao :wink:

Bloodsport rules all!

Then Double Impact and Kickboxer

Then Universal Soldier and The Quest

Then Hard Target and Maximum Risk

Then everything else

Kickboxer is good too but not quite in his top3 imo..1st time I saw it from so poor vhs copy I actually needed to switch colur settings from telly into black/white to make quality look barely watchable:angel:

I haven't watched a Van Damme film for so long, that I can hardly remember what the films are like! :wink:

Kickboxer was my last watch a few years ago. Really enjoyed it.

Gonna have to crack out Bloodsport and Hard Target.

Would also love to find a proper uncut version of Double Impact that included the extra 'fruity scene' as well as the end fight with Bolo that my mate says is missing bits. There's a German print floating about that claims it's uncut, but it aint! :sad:

I don't know about everybody else but I'd warn you to stay away from:

In Hell

Wake of Death

Legionnaire

Desert Heat

His first 5 or 6 films, to me, are his best. And with the exception of "Bloodsport", I don't think any of them are on a par with his display in "No Retreat/No Surrender". He absolutely stole that movie away and got the break he deserved.

In the 'man hunts man' sub-genre of action films, "Hard Target" rules. But "Surviving the Game" is awesome as well (there's no JCVD in it).

I do not like torture scene where they use drill at villain in wake of death but outside that it`s good movie.

ShaOW!linDude

Blood Sword,

You know, honestly, I only gave one viewing to each of the 1st 4 I listed so I don't remember them too well. And I listed those because there was no MA in them. I want JCVD's acting to be good (good enough, anyway) but I don't care about seeing him in dramatic roles. I buy his stuff for butt-kicking. (And they had none or not enough to qualify for me, anyhow.) Maybe I shouldn't be so harsh on them but I just didn't get what I wanted or expected out of them. I have the same problem with some of Speakman's and Seagal's movies. Fortunately his latest stuff seems to be moving back towards his forte to some degree.

Blood Sword,

You know, honestly, I only gave one viewing to each of the 1st 4 I listed so I don't remember them too well. And I listed those because there was no MA in them. I want JCVD's acting to be good (good enough, anyway) but I don't care about seeing him in dramatic roles. I buy his stuff for butt-kicking. (And they had none or not enough to qualify for me, anyhow.) Maybe I shouldn't be so harsh on them but I just didn't get what I wanted or expected out of them. I have the same problem with some of Speakman's and Seagal's movies. Fortunately his latest stuff seems to be moving back towards his forte to some degree.

I agree you on there with legionnaire and in hell.Desert Heat I have not seen but in general I think people here sometimes bit harsh(that is opinion of course not ultimate truth) for Seagal and Van Damme.Sure their movies are not top class but sometimes when want break from asian cinema their movies do the thing.I am not supreme fan of movies Jackie made after project A and enjoy some van dammes and seagals more than police story 2 or 1st strike(+all chans hollywood projects).

I'm surprised that people aren't talking much about his collaborations with the late Ringo Lam. I watched Maximum Risk and In Hell a few days ago, and I'd rank them among Van Damme's absolute best movies.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 1

This guy starred in dozens of films, it shouldn’t be too hard to come up with 10

1 Kickboxer

2 Replicant

3 JCVD

4 Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning

5 Nowhere To Run

6 Wake of Death

7 Double Team

8 Enemies Closer

9 In Hell

10 Maximum Risk

• Like 1

The top three for me are NRNS, Hard Target and Knock Off.

Van Damme reminds me of Jet Li in that their martial arts performance peaked in the mid-eighties which makes their nineties success all the more surprising because they were significantly restrained...although for different reasons - Jet Li with his back injury, and JCVD with no HK choreographer to make the most of his potential in his physical prime.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DiP said:

I'm surprised that people aren't talking much about his collaborations with the late Ringo Lam. I watched Maximum Risk and In Hell a few days ago, and I'd rank them among Van Damme's absolute best movies.

I also watched them both lately. I know a lot of people like In Hell, but I thought it was only a mediocre Van Damme movie. Maximum Risk however, belongs on the top shelf. 

51 minutes ago, Cognoscente said:

The top three for me are NRNS, Hard Target and Knock Off.

Van Damme reminds me of Jet Li in that their martial arts performance peaked in the mid-eighties which makes their nineties success all the more surprising because they were significantly restrained...although for different reasons - Jet Li with his back injury, and JCVD with no HK choreographer to make the most of his potential in his physical prime.

I watched OUATIC a few weeks ago. To me it seems like Jet Li was doubled an awful lot? Even for what I would think was simple moves for him. 

Top 10 Van Damme would be: 

Universal Soldier

Nowhere To Run

Knock Off

Kickboxer

NRNS

Double Team

Maximum Risk

Double Impact

Lionheart

Sudden Death

Death Warrant

Hard Target

Cyborg

Bloodsport

And that was 14. Top 10 would probably change every now and then between these. Theyre all good! 

I will watch Wake of Death, Until Death, The Shepherd, Inferno and rewatch JCVD thanks to the mentions in this thread. 

Edited by JCLegend86
  • Like 2

legendarycurry
11 minutes ago, JCLegend86 said:

I watched OUATIC a few weeks ago. To me it seems like Jet Li was doubled an awful lot? Even for what I would think was simple moves for him. 

He was due to injury, by people like Hung Yan Yan.

Kickboxer is my favorite Van Damme movie,¨. Top  is probably Kickboxer, The Quest, No Retreat No Surrender, Bloodsport, Hard Target, Sudden Death (Mascot fight is hilarious) Like his portrayal in Expandables 2 as well, Knockoff, Universal Soldier is fun too,.

I'm about to rewatch Double Impact to see if I enjoy it, haven't seen it since I was a kid. Also Street Fighter is the Van Damme movie I've seen the most lol.

Don't enjoy In Hell very much at all even if Ringo was the man. Have not seen maximum risk though I had a VHS copy I never watched before it was thrown out. Special shoutout to Kung Fu Panda 2 and Turkish film Sinav (movie kinda sucks but Van Damme is fun in it)

• Like 1