Top 10 "Bashers" of all time......

Guest monk sante

Guest monk sante

I really don't know much about the early 70's kung fu flicks other than Chen Sing films, which I like, but was wondering if you can post what you think are the top 10 basher films of this era.

Thanks. :smokin

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Chen Zhen

im leaving off bruce lee's films btw, cuz its debatable as to whether those are truly "bashers" or not.

1. Fist of the Double K (henry yu is awesome and Yuen Woo Ping's choreography is some of the best ive seen of this era)

2. Five Fingers of Death (love this film. fights are awesome, and it has a certain charm to it)

3. Prodigal Boxer (meng fei rocks in this movie. big fan of kurata's kicking as well. good plot and fights..one of my favs)

4. When Tae Kwan Do Strikes (angela is in top form. sammo makes a great villain, and the fights were defientely ahead of its time)

5. Kung Fu Headcrusher (yeah another chen sing basher, but this one has awesome fights)

6. One Armed Boxer (such a fun movie with entertaining characters and above avg fights. what is it with jimmy wang yu and tournaments??)

7. Hapkido (another classic angela mao/sammo hung/GH basher. fantastic fights with a typical anti-japanese story)

8. The Duel (not sure if i'd call it a basher cuz its mostly knife fighting...but its impressive knife fighting. david chiang and ti lung are the truth)

9. Boxer from Shantung (awesome movie. fights are great, and features some incredible story telling. chen kuan tai is the man)

10. Bloody Fists (simply for the fact that Chen Sing looks so badass with that comb..lol)

Guest morgoth

I would have to go with One Armed Boxer easily, but I have never seen Boxer Form Shantung.

Also, there is no tourtnament in One Armed Boxer, you are probably thinking of return of the One Armed Boxer.

Guest kungfufreak

In my Top 10 is RAGE OF WIND with Chen Sing and Yasuaki Kurata.

Only Version from this is Fullscreen.I hope of a Widescreen Version in the Future from this Classic!!!!

Guest Chen Zhen

cosign with killer meteor

there are very few wang yu movies ive seen that DONT have some form of tournament/organized fighting

Guest morgoth

I agree, but Master of the Flying Guillotine had a planned tournament. Just making sure you weren't mixing up names.

Guest Chinatown Kid

I'm with ya kungfufreak on Rage of Wind aka The Ninja Warlord, it's one of my favorite bashers as well. My favorite basher would have to be Call Me Dragon, Liang and Kurata are awesome!

Guest Chan Wah Shun

I'm throwing in another vote for Call Me Dragon. That last fight is crazy! Honourable mention to Bruce D-Day at Macao.

Mark Pollard
I would have to go with One Armed Boxer easily, but I have never seen Boxer Form Shantung.

Also, there is no tourtnament in One Armed Boxer, you are probably thinking of return of the One Armed Boxer.

It's been a year Morgoth. I hope you've had time to watch BOXER FROM SHANTUNG by now! That's required viewing.

I haven't heard the term "basher" before to describe these particular martial arts films. I typically call them "boxer" or "Chinese boxer" films since it was THE CHINESE BOXER that started the whole karate/kung fu trend. I'd say anything with Yasuaki Kurata, Chen Sing, Angela Mao, or even Polly Kuan in it was worth watching. I enjoyed BACK ALLEY PRINCESS.

Other great Henry Yu Young bashers are Wits to Wits (aka From China With Death or Con Man & the Kung fu Kid) and Village on Fire (aka Fury of the Black Belt)....also what about these:

The Killer (aka Sacred Knives of Vengeance), He Walks Like a Tiger (aka king of Kung fu), Kung Fu's Hero......

Bloody Fists, Kung Fu Invincible Fist, BFS are all great bashers. Might as well throw Man Of Iron in their because its essentially the same film as BFS. Anyone ever see Young Tiger with Mang Fei? Thats a pretty good one too.

The "basher" "Chop Socky" period in the evolution of kung fu movies is the most memorable for me as I grew up watching most of them in theatres in the early 70s.Your thread of just 10 can never do justice to this era because there were 100s and almost all were action packed.I'll list 10 for now based on how well they did in my territory then I'll list between 50 - 100 later for those who are more interested in these type of films.

The Insanity Being

Iron Man aka Chinese Iron Man

Little Superman

Fist To Fist aka Fist Of The Double K

Death Blow

Roar In The Woods

Tiger Jump

Rotary Kicks

Four Real Friends

Bloody Ring

More to come.

ironfistedmonk

One not mentioned yet is Black Panther, the German release is brilliant, it's a real top of the line basher

To those out there who have access to good prints of the following films on whatever format;please try to release them somehow.This was an enjoyable period in the history of Kung Fu Cinema.

Tiger Tiger Tiger

Life And Death

Chivalry Knights

Ma Su Chen

Brutal Boxer

Tough Guy

Number X

The Dumb Ox

Golden Tiger

Martial Hero Of The Southern Frontier

Righteous Fist

The Escape

The Escaper

Kung Fu Girl

The Best And The Worst

The Patriots

Avengers

Invisible Hero

The Rangers

Seven To One

Action Tae Kwando

Trail Of The Dragon

Fingers That Kill

Hong Kong Connection

7 Indignant

Duel Of The Dragon

Brave Girl Boxer From Shanghai

Queen Boxer

King Of Boxers

Superior Youngster

A Tooth For A Tooth

Kung Fu's Hero

Kung Fu King

The Big Risk

The Big Showdown

Stranger From Canton

Stranger From Kwangtung

Black Panther

The Good And The Bad

Dauntless Bumpkin

The Imprudent Iron Phoenix

Dragon Tiger And The Phoenix

Knight Errant

Gallant

The Man Beyond The Horizon

Return Of The Valuables

The Fighting Dragon

The Desperate Crisis

Fighting Is Living

Dog King Snake King

The Iron Profligate

Inheritor Of Kung Fu

Black List

End Of The Wicked Tigers

Manda Vs Kung Fu

File Of Heroes

Evidence

Dare You Touch Me

The Invasion

Kung Fu 10th Dan

The Son Of The Yellow Dragon

5 Preety Young Ladies

12 Bald Headed Beauties

Crush Boxer

Duel Of Karate

Bloody Hero

Land Of The Brave

The Snake Girl Drops In

Kung Fu Kid

The Bravest Fist

The Bravest One

Duel Of The Dragon

Fury In Storm

HongKong Superman

Roaring Dragon

The Big Fight

The Heroine

A Girl Called Tigress

Revenge Is Sweet

The Tormentor

Justice The Strongest

Ferocious To Ferocious

Gathering Of Heroes

Gold Snatchers

One By One

Brother Two

Brave Lion

Way Of The Black Dragon

The Black Dragon's Revenge

Silent Guest From Peking

One-Armed Boxer

Dragon And Tiger Join Hands

Infernal Street

Golden Triangle

Chinese Kung Fu Against The Godfather

The Godfather From HongKong

Dragon And Tiger

The Gambling Syndicate

Triangular Duel

Chinese Headache For Judoka

.........................and there are many more good ones I can visualise but can't remember the titles.

1. Call me Dragon

2. Little Superman

3. The Big Showdown

4. The Duel

5. The Himalayan

6. Brutal Boxer

7. Boxer from Shantung

8. Two Cavaliers

9. Superior Youngster

10. Black Panther

Honorable mentions: Fists of the Double K, Conspiracy of Thieves, Master of the Flying Guillotine.

Hi,

Untold classics already listed up there from Kwok Choi, .....

Death Blow a.k.a Thunder Fist is a tremendous example of the era, and a favourite of mine .

Alex Lung, Yukio Someno, and Steve Yu fuse an excellent array of power-packed fight action, replete with a great soundtrack.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXOsxCq6sHU&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXOsxCq6sHU&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Manozen

Anyone ever see the basher Dragons Never Die? I've seen a trailer for this film several times, however, never the film. I has a lot of the actors from GH studios along with what appears to be Han Yin Chieh as the baddie.

ironfistedmonk

Dragons Never Die is an aka for Kung Fu 10th Dan which is a good basher IMO. Han Ying Chieh is the mian villain, Alex Lung is the lead and shows some good stuff, he looks a tough cookie beating seven shades out of nuff "bastards" lol

This thread inspired to seek out a copy of Bloody Fists and I found one for £1.73! What a find. Does anyone know where I can get copies of Rage of Wind and Call Me Dragon for a reasonable price?

I finally tracked down DRAGONS NEVER DIE, Worthy of a mention in this thread.

Here are a few more I'd like to add to the list:

Rikshaw Kuri

Chinese Iron Man

The Chinese Godfather

The Chinese Mack

King Boxer (Meng Fei)

Thunderkick

The Tongfather

Blood On The Sun

Stranger From Canton

Furious Slaughter

Archived