Malaysia's next MA movie

DiP

"Fist Of Dragon" to film in China

Msian filmmaker Michael Chuah plans to shoot "Fist Of Dragon" in Tianjin, China in Sept after wrapping up in Malacca.

18 Aug – Martial arts film "Fist Of Dragon," by Malaysian filmmaker Michael Chuah, has ended its two months shoot in the town of Malacca, Malaysia and will head on to Tianjin, China in September 2009 to complete its filming there. Previously directed "Seed Of Darkness," an atmospheric horror film that was released in Malaysia in 2006 by Columbia Pictures, he says that his first love is for actioners.

"When I was young, I love to watch action films by Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan and Jet Li. They were my childhood heroes. Their movies always carry a simple storyline, yet portray a very heroic character. Nowadays those film are getting fewer, therefore I wanted to make a film that I'd like to watch such as those back in the 80s and 90s," said Chuah, who will also play the lead role in the film.

"Fist Of Dragon" tells the story of a man named Li (Chuah), who travels from China to a small town in Malaysia to help his financially-imperilled uncle. Li discovers that his uncle is in trouble with local mobsters. When he decides to teach them a lesson, Li incurs the wrath of the triads who threaten the entire town.

Chuah has been practicing martial arts since the age of nine. He later joined the Chin Woo Athletic Association and became state representative in Kuala Lumpur Wushu. He has his own stunt team doing commercial work and is working on the stunt for this movie.

"Fist Of Dragon" features Fiona Xie and Henry Thia, both Singaporean actors who will co-star along Chinese actress Wang Xiao-chen ("Legend Of The Condor Heroes").

The film is a co-production between Desen International Media Co., Ltd. (China) and Fusion Media Pte Ltd (Singapore). It is scheduled to release in China, Singapore and Malaysia in March 2010.

http://entertainment.malaysia.msn.com/Movies/article.aspx?cp-documentid=3536105

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moving from Seed to Fist

After cutting his directing teeth on a horror flick, Michael Chuah now tries his hand at an actioner

WITH the success of his first directorial effort, Seed of Darkness, Malaysian director-producer Michael Chuah Ghiap Hun has now been approached to direct an action flick featuring an international cast from China, Singapore and Malaysia.

“Action is what I have always wanted to do but I decided to do a horror film first because I felt it would be easier to tackle,” says Chuah during a recent interview.

His Seed of *Darkness was picked up for *distribution by Columbia *Tristar. The horror flick tells the story of a single mum who has a child through in-vitro *fertilisation. When she and her child move into a new home, strange things begin to happen.

The film marks a good start for Chuah in his new career as a *director. This 29-year-old from Kuala Lumpur, who is also a writer, had planned to do an actioner only after directing a couple of other films. But when the offer to helm Fist of Dragon came, it was just too good to miss.

Fist of Dragon is *produced by Singaporean production company *Fusion Media Pte Ltd and stars well-known *Singapore actors Henry Thia and Fiona Xie, and rising China starlet Wang Xiao-chen.

Thia is a veteran of the film industry in Singapore who is well known for his comedy films such as Money No Enough 2 and Love Matters.

Xie is one of the top actresses in the island republic starring in such hits as Rule No.1 while Wang (who is called Little Tang Wei by the *Chinese media because of her *resemblance to that actress) has acted in Hongkong blockbusters such as Legend of the Condor Heroes.

“Fist of Dragon is *entirely fictional, based on my own ideas and things I have been though,” says Chuah.

The story is set in the present and focuses on Li, who comes to *Malaysia to help his uncle who is *facing financial *difficulties. Li feels out of place in this new country because of the differences in culture and people.

When he discovers his uncle is being threatened by the local mobsters, he sets out to get rid of them. But this causes the mobsters to retaliate and put the whole town in turmoil.

So far, Chuah has not made his final *decision on who to cast as the lead.

He is also looking for local *talents to take on *supporting roles in the movie.

“I need actors who are in their 20s to 40s and have some acting and martial arts skills.”

Fist of Dragon will be shot in China and *Malaysia starting next month. Among the local places earmarked are Sungai Lembing and Kuala Lumpur.

The film is scheduled for release in early 2010, in China and Singapore first, says Chuah.

http://www.sun2surf.com/article.cfm?id=32430

Fist of Dragon

"Fist of Dragon" tells the story of Li, who comes to South East Asia by the request of his father to help out his uncle who has been facing financial difficulties. Li, upon arriving in the town, feels out of place due to the differences in cultures of the people here. When he discovers that his uncle has been facing many hardships posed by the local mobsters, Li decided to stay and to help his uncle and get rid of them. However, Li encounter numerous resistances from the locals as Li's action brings the wrath of the triad and drags the whole town into turmoil. Moreover, his uncle's daughter, Lily is on the triad side, and their relationship is badly affected when the confrontation between the two groups reach its peak.

http://z6.invisionfree.com/FilmSmash/index.php?showtopic=159&view=findpost&p=1477115

Archived