Best Wilson Tong Films? Recommendations?

hanzo87

I've had Snake In the Monkey's shadow on dvd for years and only recently got both Snake Deadly Act and Daggers 8 (which are all great movies IMO), and enjoyed them a lot. I also think that Wilson Tong is one of the most underated actors/action directors from the golden age of kf films and is one of my favourite villains (....up there with Hwang Jang Lee and Wang Lung Wei). So I was wondering if you guys could recommend some more great kung-fu films that prominently feature Wilson Tong or are action-directed/directed by him.

Note: i've seen most of the shaws he's in like 36 chambers of shaolin and a few of the indies like Sammo Hung's The Victim.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
odioustrident

Yeah, get Kung Fu Genius before you do anything IMO. As far as the independent movies go, he gets awesome extended fight scenes in Two Wondrous Tigers and Gold Hunters, but the late 70's+, majorly villainous roles are all listed here.

Duel of the Masters is apparently choreographed/directed by/starring Wilson Tong, but its really a Yuen clan, anything-can-happen film like Shaolin Drunkard etc..

What do people think of Duel of the Brave Ones? I heard its modern day and Tong plays the hero! Any shapes come up in this one?

Morgoth Bauglir

Duel of the Brave Ones is horrible. Only thing worth watching is some decent fighting between John Chang and Wilson Tong at the end. I don't remember any shapes.

The end fight in Young Avenger is long and really good. One of the best performances from Wilson Tong ever, in my humble opinion.

thundered mantis

The guy´s been criminally underused onscreen. He´s got an uniqueness on his moves, like Phillip Ko. Always a pleasure to watch him. I´d say:

SNAKE DEADLY ACT

YOUNG AVENGER

MY YOUNG AUNTIE

THE VICTIM

DIRTY KUNG FU

SHAOLIN MANTIS

TREASURE HUNTERS

BLOODY FIGHT

KUNG FU GENIUS

DAGGERS 8

SNAKE ON MONKEY´S SHADOW

I need to get Bastard Swordsman and The Bomb-Shell

thundered mantis

Here Comes Thao Huay. Dirty Tiger had some original VCDs for this one. I got mine from him, great guy and totally realible

Any news on this one? Has there been a release? If not maybe another custom project for someone?

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Iron Monkey 1977 As the spy infiltrating rebel strongholds. This movie is one of the first to get me into genre. The end fights are amazing.

Archived