Young Ip Man?

Drunken Monk

Guest ekisha

Awesome!!! Since i like Sammo and Biao much more than Donnie, i will like this flick more than Ip Man. I am sure. Just watch the trailer!

And the best news is Yuen Biao's script about Seven Little Fortunes. Has anyone heard anything about it?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ChineseFilms.com

The 86-year-old Ip Chun, Ip Man's elder son, has been nominated for the Best Newcomer Award at the 7th Movie Channel Media Awards, M1905.com reports.

Ip Chun was nominated for playing his father's teacher in "The Legend is Born - Ip Man," a film about martial-art master Ip Man's youth directed by Qiu Litao. He plays Ip Man's teacher, Liang Bi.

Ip Chun said he was just following his memory of Liang Bi and acts like himself in the film.

"I actually don't know much about film performance, I just know Master Liang's personality well," said Ip Chun.

Ip Chun also told the media that he will not authorize anymore Ip Man films, meaning "The Legend is Born - Ip Man" will be the last film about Ip Man.

Another two films about Ip Man by director Wilson Yip and featuring Donnie Yen - "Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" - were released in 2008 and 2010 before "The Legend is Born - Ip Man." Ip Chun was a consultant on the first two films.

Huang Yi, who plays Ip Man's wife in the film, was nominated for Best Actress. Ip Chun and Dennis To (Ip Man) were both nominated for Best Newcomer. Louis Fan (senior fellow of Ip Man) was chosen to compete for Best Supporting Actor.

"The Legend is Born - Ip Man" was the opening film for the awards on Sunday and will be released in China on June 25.

The award ceremony will be aired on CCTV-6 (the movie channel) and M1905.com on June. 19. Good luck Ip Chun!

990dbd74409d416db66980b7da419616.jpg

No...from what I understand, Wong began shooting the film already. Shooting began back in January but it's very low-key. No details are really being given as to the film, but from what I understand, Zhang Ziyi and Song Hye-Kyo are in the film as well. ABC News actually has an article about Tony Leung and they indicated that the film had already begun production, so technically WKW's film would be the final film on Yip Man.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=9724040

That's good to hear. I want to see WKW make up for "My Blueberry Nights" even if the fighting bits are going to look like this:

eY-eyZuW_Uk

Also, this has nothing to do with anything, but

Song Hye-Kyo > Zhang Ziyi

Wong Kar wai is notoriously slow when it comes to making movies, so expect this to take a little longer than usual to come out.

No...from what I understand, Wong began shooting the film already. Shooting began back in January but it's very low-key. No details are really being given as to the film, but from what I understand, Zhang Ziyi

*barf*

And Tony Leung as Ip Man?

Wong Kar Wai is great and all but this sounds like crap.

Ip Chun said he was just following his memory of Liang Bi and acts like himself in the film.

"I actually don't know much about film performance, I just know Master Liang's personality well," said Ip Chun.

Assuming that was an accurate translation it's a load of crock. Ip Chun never met Leung Bik (not unless Ip Chun is nearly 100 years old!), and to be perfectly accurate Leung Bik never existed anyway. He was part of a story made up for a martial arts magazine when New Martial Hero interviewed Ip Man. They wanted to big up his history so Ip Man bascially said "write whatever you want". He didn't care.

As far as Lun Kai, Ip Man's first student when he was still living on the mainland, is concerned Ip Man only learnt from Ng Chun So (he was accepted as a student by Chan Wah Shun, but the old money changer died not long after, and had also suffered a stroke meaning that he wasn't physically capable of teaching) and dismisses the story of Leung Bik.

Although his answers are very short there's even a video interview with him that is very telling regardless. He just states things as he knows them. Lun Kai rarely had contact after Ip Man moved to Hong Kong, so Lun Kai's information about him comes from a very straighforward uncontaminated point of view;

The whole story of Ip Man going to St Stephens college is absurd too. Ip Man was known not to speak any English and hated foreigners. Strange considering the college held all their lessons in English!

I noticed recently that even Ip Chun's account of Ip Man's life has changed to accommodate the storyline of the first Ip Man film. Seems it's all about the money now.

Ip Chun also told the media that he will not authorize anymore Ip Man films, meaning "The Legend is Born - Ip Man" will be the last film about Ip Man.

Really? So Ip Ching doesn't have a say in things? What about Ip Man's nephew Lo Man Kam?

Sorry guys, I know some of you don't like it when I go off on a rant like this, but after seeing the comments in Ip Chuns interview I had to interject. I am saying all of this as a grand student of Ip Chun, so it might seem disrespectful of me. But if things are not scrutinised then the fake stories end up being treated as fact.

I watched it on the big screen at my local theater yesterday.

My review

Storyline : 5/10

Build-up : 6/10

Pace : 5/10

Fighting scenes : 7/10

There's one fight scene that tops it all, it was the fight 5 minute into the film between Sammo Hung vs Yuen Biao, both were sparring their Wing Chun technique blindfolded.

That fight alone was close to 9/10.

Another memorable fight was between Ip Man's decendant, Ip Chun vs our hero, that was sweet, a good cameo of the real bloodline of Master Ip Man but the fight itself was not as spectacular as the first fight.

The last fights with all the Ninjas were a bit of anti-climax and when our hero finally nailed down the final baddie it was all too easy and lack the emotion.

Watch it for the fights. :bigsmile:

Guest Yi-Long

That's a bit disappointing to hear. Trailer looked promising until the stuff with ninja's came up...

This had ALOT of potential, but I guess they kinda lost track halfway through where they would go with it all...

I have only skimmed through so far to action. I will watch the movie whole tomorrow.

"There's one fight scene that tops it all, it was the fight 5 minute into the film between Sammo Hung vs Yuen Biao"

" but the fight itself was not as spectacular as the first fight."

You must really love Hung and Biu. It was a very brief piece. Spectacular? Tops them all? Wow, alright. That is how you feel.

The action in this is hot. Fan Siu Wong is on fire. Thank goodness he finally got an action director that brought out his goods. To Yu Hang is on fire. Tony Leung is on fire. The fights are hot and the chor. is top notch. Long takes and intricate chor. to go with it. The TYH and FSW have the fight of the year. Fists, kicks, locks, counters, speed, and that old school crispness top it off.

This is a kung fu movie. Even the smaller pieces are crisp and intricate. Can't wait to see this in dvd quality.

Why am I just now learning that a rip is out?

Hopefully I can use this to suppress my memories of "Ip Man 2".

watched this last night and i loved it, this movie has about 10 fights and i liked most of them, some excellent exchanges going on here, fan siu wong showing what he can really do, To Yue-Hong is superb in this , what wirework was in this movie was used well and kept to a minimal, everyone in this movie made the effort the only letdown was with the main villian but you have a great fight before that with fan siu wong, good to see a new kung fu movie that i wasnt let down by.

Why am I just now learning that a rip is out?

Hopefully I can use this to suppress my memories of "Ip Man 2".

There's a rip? Where?

Glad to hear we finally get a good new kung-fu movies. It truly is a dying art that needs resurrection before all the greats are lost. :neutral:

Agreed!! I know the last trailer rubbed some the wrong way...but the fights sound great and I can't wait to see Biao on screen again!!! Not to mention Sammo Hung!!

Getting goose bumps just thinking about!!

I only found a real bad cam job

Yeah. It's clear enough that you can tell what's happening on screen, but I'm going to wait for something better.

What I skimmed through looked great though.

I loved what I could see of it. Very much like OUATIC (fictional adventures of Ip Man). More please..?

Tigerstyles

just flicked through the fight scenes on the mainland dvd non subbed version..

pretty impressed the fights are on the whole back to old school style.. much welcomed

gonna get this blu ray when its released

Sammo V Yuen Biou first fight is great goosebumps

Guest Yi-Long
Sometime in August.

Aw oki, thanks. Just said goodbye to my girlfriend who's on her way to Hong Kong for a month, so I hope she'll be able topick it up for me (along with Gallants and Tiger Cage 2...)

Archived