Brave Archer and His Mate

daTOAD

Dont know if this is new, but just picked up BAaHM at FYE. Has old school english dub[love well go]. New team I havent heard at Shaw before, except the womans voice. Theyre pretty good.Convinced every Shaw has Eng dub.Comes in sleeve.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
instant noodles

Well,is the movie any good?I have brave archer 1-3 of thai box set and Mate as zoke culture release but have not yet watched any of those:neutral:.From friends comments I take storylines in some of those is quite messy and there is far too many characters.

BlackLamaFaction

There are a lot of characters to the point where stars like Ti Lung barely even get the chance to fight. Brave Archer 3 was my favorite,Chiang Shen and Philip Kwok did the choreography. Lo Meng and his Iron palm clan were ruthless. It culminates in a great final showdown with Fu Sheng, Lo Meng, Chiang Shen, Lu Feng, Chu Ko and Sun Chien with Phillip Kwok showing up in the middle of it all. The only thing I missed was Johnny Wang's Eastern poison character from the first two. But like you said with so many characters you can only fit so many in each episode. The overall story is very scattered and non linear perhaps the saga suffers from over ambition and making writing a secondary priority.

The Running Man

How is the DVD for this? I've heard that pretty much all the DVDs by this company are crap. Is it true with this one as well?

i have seen the first one and i didnt like it to much it was pretty confusing to me. are the sequels any better?

The Running Man

Thanks for the reply RougeWarrior but my question was more technical.

I assume the DVD only as 5.1 remix tracks? How are the remixes? And how are the English subs?

A shame Media Blasters didn't pick this up seeing as how they already have the first three.

Morgoth Bauglir

Both audio tracks on Mate are 2.0 audio and they sound great. Same with Holy Flame. Despite it saying "new" English dub, they have the oldschool dubs. Holy Flame is a great dub. Mate is good.

I enjoyed all the movies in this series, but part 3 is by far my favorite. Yeung Hung- "have you fallen in love with her?" Kwok Choi- "well, she likes to cook all my favorite dishes... um, heh heh heh, she sleeps with me."

Eastern poison .

Western poison...;-)

As for the bewildering number of characters and confusing plot - probably a result of trying to get too much of the original material into those film adaptations.

(Something that many Chor Yuen films suffered from as well...)

I'm definitely going to give the series a shot - but for the time being, there're plenty other CC films on my must-see list (well, *all* CC movies I haven't seen yet are on my must-see list) - and most of them have a higher priority status than Brave Archer series...:wink:

IMHO, not really confusing- plot wise.Though the actors have changed, the characters still wear the same clothing so you can tell who's who. Frame-up ,revenge plot. Works more like it should ve came after part 1 and 2. Blast of the Iron Palm is kinda stands on its own. Good buy for the dub alone.

BlackLamaFaction

Thanks for the correction Cesare I guess all the characters can get confusing.:ooh:.Was Huang Yaoshi the chief of Peach Island also called Eastern Poison? Mabye that's why I got confused. I agree with you there are a lot of Chang Cheh films that are more worth seeing but I do applaud the ambition of taking on something with the scope of Brave Archer.

Huang Yaoshi is called Eastern Heretic/Eastern Evil (there are various translations but I encounter these two most often, esp. the former).

Archived