Magnificent Ruffians

instant noodles

instant noodles

Magnificent INDEED!This was last venom unseen for me,kept dvd gathering dust in shelf over 2 years.Sounds weird as I love venoms movies but had feeling once this seen kinda end of era so wanted to save it...

wotever,Lu Feng shines in this film.Usual calculating hideous himself,brilliant display of Kwan-Do,with one hand also,is one of best weapon showcases in venom movies and they are always on top level so this is something extraordinary.Actually trident fight in Masked Avengers is little bit superior but build-up in Ruffians is better as it is shown early how dangerous Lu Feng is.

Lo Meng has great role as hotheaded and righteous guy and was nice to see once Wang Li as good guy(looked strange without usual moustache).

One thing bit bugs me..when Wang Li,Kuo Chui,Chiang Sheng and Sun Chien characters were taken to bath@Lu Feng mansion there was 4 seminaked beauties ready but they hushed girls away:squigglemouth:

Masterpiece,thank you CC and venoms.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing bit bugs me..when Wang Li,Kuo Chui,Chiang Sheng and Sun Chien characters were taken to bath@Lu Feng mansion there was 4 seminaked beauties ready but they hushed girls away:squigglemouth:

Guess they were gentlemen not ruffians. :angel:

Just watched this one recently as well. A lot of the venoms conventions are used, Lo Mang killed off, last men standing are the 3 opera trained venoms, Lu Feng ultimate bad ass, etc. I'd read some complaints that it suffered from trying to do Jackie/Sammo type humor. Some of it does fall flat but I didn't think it was that bad, I only rewatch the fights anyway.

The finale was one of the venoms best, I'll be watching that one again.

instant noodles
I'd read some complaints that it suffered from trying to do Jackie/Sammo type humor. Some of it does fall flat

I guess you are right.Scene where Kuo Chui and Chiang Sheng were disguised as ghosts seemed bit out of place.They could have just put knife into Lu Fengs lackeys throat and get answers instead of trying to scare hell out of him....but those are tiny flaws which do not damage superb movie...Scenes when Lo Meng spars with other 4 are excellent.I liked moment when Sun Chien backs off and admits he cannot win:smile:

I recently got into the Venoms big time and never hear a lot of love for this movie. Then I watched it and was blown away. The quality of the fighting was awesome and it was nice to Wang Li get a hero role for a change.

I agree the end fight is one of their best. Lu Feng was sheer awesomeness and Kuo Choi looks equally as good with a bo and his acrobatics!!

I thought the Kuo Choi vs Lo Meng scenes were great.

I have the IVL of this but will pick up the Media Blasters as well!!

One thing bit bugs me..when Wang Li,Kuo Chui,Chiang Sheng and Sun Chien characters were taken to bath@Lu Feng mansion there was 4 seminaked beauties ready but they hushed girls away:squigglemouth:.

Well you can't let a few semi-naked hotties interfere with some good ol' male-bonding now, can ya? :cry:

Great flick. One of my personal faves. To quote part of my review from 2001:

What makes "The Magnificent Ruffians" stand out against other Venom films is the blending of comedic elements with engaging action sequences. While the Venoms (and director Chang Cheh) have incorporated subtle comedy in other movies, the Stoogesque routine they engage in here will make you laugh out loud. The smoking of cigars, dining at Feng's home, and Sheng's "fake beating" sequences are a few of many which allow you to see that these actors are not just martial artist robots. And speaking of martial arts, where would a Venoms film be without showcasing the cast's excellent skills. Sheng displays a double sword technique and Feng brandishes a gold staff/sword but is Chui's pole skills which are the highlight of this film.

ruffy.jpg

kungfusamurai

What happens in the bath stays in the bath. ;)

Thanks for the nice scan there, teako.

KFS

What happens in the bath stays in the bath. ;)

I'd like a second try at my orignial comment on the bath scene.

Well its a Chang Cheh movie.....

instant noodles

Choregraphy is awesome too and very realistic me thinks minus some acrobatics.I practice northern praying mantis and long fist and even as not trained with General Kwans knife,on scene Lu Feng kills 7 men at beginning of movie it looked real deal.very hard to block circular movements and golden blade has long reach.damn.and they had really nowhere to run,gonna re-watch it now:kiss:

kungfusamurai
Is this one available as an R1 release? I haven't seen it in stores.

Nope. Just the IVL disc from Hong Kong, unless it was released in other regions in Europe or Australia.

KFS

instant noodles
Maybe I'll order it from Yesasia, haven't gotten anything from them in awhile.

Get it..when people talk about Venom films "5 deadly venoms","masked avengers","house of traps" or "crippled avengers" are mostly subject but magnificent ruffians is at very least as great as any of those.

Definitely one of there best!..after the disappointment of House Of Traps this came as a breath of fresh air and is the reason why Venoms films are so loved. Great choreography, empty hand and amazing weapons and a decent plot. This, Crippled Avengers and Invincible Shaolin are my 3 favourites of the Venoms crew.

Maybe I'll order it from Yesasia, haven't gotten anything from them in awhile.

This movie is also coming out in mid 2010 from Medial Blasters as part of their second batch of Shaw Brothers releases!!

Back to the film itself I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one that thinks this is one of the Venoms BEST!!! :smile:

instant noodles
This movie is also coming out in mid 2010 from Medial Blasters as part of their second batch of Shaw Brothers releases!!

Back to the film itself I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one that thinks this is one of the Venoms BEST!!! :smile:

If it has great extrafeatures I pick it...but for LeRolls,pick celestial now,this is one hell of a movie you need to see now.

If it has great extrafeatures I pick it...but for LeRolls,pick celestial now,this is one hell of a movie you need to see now.

Very good point. I agree!!

Archived