Your least favourite Jackie Chan movies? (1992-present-period)

dragonherb

Twin Dragons (1992) - **1/2 - somewhat enjoyable, but lacking in all in depts

Police Story 3: Supercop (1992) - **** (love this movie! Michelle Khan was great too. Hilarious)

City Hunter (1993) *** (a guilty pleasure!)

Crime Story (1993) *** (good drama/acting)

Drunken Master II (1994) ***** (A Classic! His best fighting ever! Great cast, just great!

Rumble in the Bronx (1995) **** Great action and fun)

Thunderbolt (1995) (**1/2 it gets a 1/2 star more just because of the 2 great fights)

Police Story 4: First Strike (1996) - (***1/2 Liked this one. Nice action and fun)

Mr. Nice Guy (1997) *1/2 I didn't like the story, pace and co-stars except for Norton

Who Am I? (1998) **** (great movie overall and great end fight)

Rush Hour(1998) *** (Hilarious! I enjoyed it as a comedy, action was decent)

Gorgeous (1999) **1/2 Ok, but the fights saved this one.

Shanghai Noon (2000) - **1/2 Funny, action was ok

The Accidental Spy (2001) - *1/2 not good. One decent fight scene couldn't save this one

Rush Hour 2 (2001) ***** - LOVE this movie for the comedy! I can watch over and over.

The Tuxedo (2002) - 0 stars - garbage

Shanghai Knights (2003) - *** Solid. Good. Donnie was a nice addition.

The Medallion (2003) * (one star just for the first and only great fight scene)

Around the World in 80 Days (2004) **1/2 - (So so, suprisingly great fight with Sammo Hung)

New Police Story (2004) - **** Great story! Loved the acting.

The Myth (2005) - 0 stars I couldn't sit through this one

Rob-B-Hood (2006) - **1/2 (decent at best)

Rush Hour 3 (2007) * (Huge disappointment. Sanada was wasted. The cast even acted liked they didn't want to do it!)

The Forbidden Kingdom (2008) *** Suprising good! Jet & Jackie?! 'Nuff said!

Shinjuku Incident (2009) - Haven't seen it yet but looking for to it. Heard great feedback.

Great thread! Thank you!

Guest ekisha

Gorgeous (1999) - Too melodramatic

Shanghai Noon (2000) - Too Hollywoodish Crap

The Tuxedo (2002) - Too fantastic

Shanghai Knights (2003) - Too Hollywoodish Crap 2 (aka the real crap)

The Medallion (2003) - I disliked it after first 20 minutes

The Myth (2005) - Up to date, the worst Jackie Chan movie i saw, my poor eyes.

Rush Hour 3 (2007) - Too idiotic. Someone please, kill that Chris Tucker!

The Forbidden Kingdom (2008) - Wasn't interesting.

The Forbidden Kingdom by far the worst of the worst i had high hopes seeing how it was chan and li but it was terrible

Really? Worse than Tuxedo or Rush Hour 3? Honestly, I was expecting a trainwreck but I was surprised how fun and inventive it was.

I'm a little surprised by some of the responses here although like others have said each to their own.

My favourites from that list:

Police Story 3 - Great fights. Michelle Yeoh and Yuen Wah make it work.

City Hunter - If you don't like Wong Jing movies don't watch this. I love the humour and it has some great fights. The whole fight with Gary Daniels where they dodge every blow was brilliant.

Drunken Master 2 - Nuff said.

Who Am I - The roof top fight made this work.

Gorgeous - Watch this again and again for the Brad Allen fights and Shu Qi.

Worst picks:

Accidental Spy - I really wanted to like it. I really did.

The Medallion - The best part of this is in the extras where Jackie is seen doing some pad work.

The Tuxedo - OMG! WTF Jackie??? WTF?

I think we might be forgetting that the only reason most people have ever watched a JC movie is for the fight. The only movies from that list with a decent, engaging story and dialogue are:

Shinjuku Incident

Shanghai Noon & Knights - The comedy of Owen Wilson makes it very watchable but why oh why wasn't Donnie used more in Knights. Opportunity missed.

Crime Story - To a certain extent.

Rush Hour series - Maybe.

The other thing is that in what most of you are calling his last JC style film (Who Am I) he was 44 years old. Not a bad effort at all. Having said that Donnie Yen did IP Man at 45 and is only getting better with age.

Btw, great thread.

Twin Dragons (1992) 5/5

Police Story 3: Supercop (1992) 5/5

City Hunter (1993) 3,5/5

Crime Story (1993) 5/5

Drunken Master II (1994) 5/5

Rumble in the Bronx (1995) 4,5/5

Thunderbolt (1995) 4/5

Police Story 4: First Strike (1996) 4/5

Mr. Nice Guy (1997) 4/5

Who Am I? (1998) 4,5/5

Rush Hour(1998) 3/5

Gorgeous (1999) 4/5

Shanghai Noon (2000) 3/5

The Accidental Spy (2001) 3/5

Rush Hour 2 (2001) 3/5

The Tuxedo (2002) 0,5/5

Shanghai Knights (2003) 2/5

The Medallion (2003) 0,5/5

Around the World in 80 Days (2004) 1,5/5

New Police Story (2004) 5/5

The Myth (2005) 4/5

Rob-B-Hood (2006) 3,5/5

Rush Hour 3 (2007) 2/5

The Forbidden Kingdom (2008) 4/5

Shinjuku Incident (2009) 5/5

from 2002-2004 he just should have stayed at home, taking a break! although he made up for it with NEW POLICE STORY.

i know someone who LOVED "tuxedo" and "medallion"... i can't stand them.. too shitty for me!

about my favourite Jackie movie from 92 till now....difficult choice..maybe Rumble in the Bronx (it was the first Jackie Chan movie i've ever seen.. i still remember the time i went to the cinema to watch it ^^) and Rush Hour because it's damn funny!

But to be honest, i also like Police Story 3: Supercop , Crime Story , DM 2, New Police Story ^_^

I also bought Shinjuku Incident with great hopes... i didnt like it very much.. maybe 6/10

Really? Worse than Tuxedo or Rush Hour 3? Honestly, I was expecting a trainwreck but I was surprised how fun and inventive it was.

i gotta be honest i haven't seen either Tuxedo or Rush Hour 3 so i cant say if they suck more. But i will say that Forbidden Kingdom was way to childish for me. IMO.

i didnt like RH 3 a lot (although i bought 2 edition of that movie ahah xD).. i found it less funny than the others.

Forbidden Kingdom.... dull movie.. i watched it on the plane during my trip to HK last year.. :cry:

I think The Tuxedo was his worst. They should have at least cast someone else and then bring Nicky Li to choreograph.

I have to admit I did like Gorgeous, because Jackie tries to somehow get out of the box, and I think he wanted to go that route. I'm guessing the fights against Brad Allan were somehow forced into the script. However, the real reason why I liked Gorgeous was because Tony Leung was hilarious as the gay make up artist.

Guest Markgway

In order to judge GORGEOUS fairly you have to accept that it's a romantic comedy.

If you're comparing it to DRUNKEN MASTER II then clearly one will be disappointed.

I will admit I've always had a soft spot for Jackie..even his "bad" movies for the most part had some enjoyable parts. I will always prefer the older Jackie stuff (Police Story 1&2, Drunken Master, etc.). The one thing I REALLY wish for are proper releases of the early/mid 90's Jackie stuff with original language tracks (and no dubtitles).

Twin Dragons (1992) 3/5

Police Story 3: Supercop (1992) 4/5

City Hunter (1993) 4/5

Crime Story (1993) --

Drunken Master II (1994) 5/5

Rumble in the Bronx (1995) 4/5

Thunderbolt (1995) --

Police Story 4: First Strike (1996) 3/5

Mr. Nice Guy (1997) 3/5

Who Am I? (1998) 4/5

Rush Hour(1998) 3/5

Gorgeous (1999) 4/5

Shanghai Noon (2000) 2/5

The Accidental Spy (2001) 2/5

Rush Hour 2 (2001) 3/5

The Tuxedo (2002) 1/5

Shanghai Knights (2003) 2/5

The Medallion (2003) 2/5

Around the World in 80 Days (2004) --

New Police Story (2004) 5/5

The Myth (2005) 1.5/5

Rob-B-Hood (2006) --

Rush Hour 3 (2007) 1/5

The Forbidden Kingdom (2008) 4/5

Shinjuku Incident (2009) --

Twin Dragons (1992) - only seen a few parts, didn't catch me

Police Story 3: Supercop (1992) - i enjoyed it but the final fight could have been better 3.5/5

City Hunter (1993) never seen and don't plan to after seeing the SF scene

Crime Story (1993) - plan on seeing it whenever i get the chance

Drunken Master II (1994) - don't know why but i never got around to seeing it besides a few fights on the net

Rumble in the Bronx (1995) - couldn't watch all the way through

Thunderbolt (1995) - same as above

Police Story 4: First Strike (1996) - not bad but not best 3/5

Mr. Nice Guy (1997) - not too memorable 2.5/5

Who Am I? (1998) - probably my favorite JC film, final fight was amazing 5/5

Rush Hour(1998) - don't know why so many rush hour haters here, entertaing 3.5/5

Gorgeous (1999) - never seen whole thing but liked final fight

Shanghai Noon (2000) - not bad but could have been better 3/5

The Accidental Spy (2001) - couldn't watch at all

Rush Hour 2 (2001) - favorite comedy movie, the best of the series even though most ppl on here disagree 5/5

The Tuxedo (2002) - liked it when i was young but i don't know why 2/5

Shanghai Knights (2003) - enjoyable, better than first but idiot hollywood misused the great Donnie Yen 3.5/5

The Medallion (2003) - liked when young but lacking in lasting impact 2.5/5

Around the World in 80 Days (2004) - never seen

New Police Story (2004) - second favorite JC film, awesome action, drama, and even comedy from someone other than JC for a change 5/5

The Myth (2005) - just lame, big let down 1.5/5 (flash back/dream scenes weren't bad.)

Rob-B-Hood (2006) - never seen it

Rush Hour 3 (2007) - action and stunts = bad, but had many laughs 2.9/5

The Forbidden Kingdom (2008) - enjoyed very much but i wish he could have fought jet li in modern times 4.5/5

Shinjuku Incident (2009) - never seen

i've never been a big JC fan but i love any good martial arts film. (didn't rate movies i haven't seen all the way through)

In my opinion you can't go wrong with a Jackie movie. There is something about them that will put a smile on your face. But my least favorite is City Hunter

Police Story 3: Supercop (1992)- I could watch this movie over and over and never get sick of it

City Hunter (1993)- I don't like anime so I thought this movie was stupid

Crime Story (1993)- I heard it was a dark movie so i wasn't expecting much, but i loved it

Drunken Master II (1994)- favorite Jackie movie

Rumble in the Bronx (1995)- first Jackie movie i ever saw so it has a special place in my heart.

Thunderbolt (1995)- kinda disappointed but i was still entertained

Police Story 4: First Strike (1996)- favorite of the Australian movies

Mr. Nice Guy (1997)- with Sammo directing i hoped it would be better but still enjoyable

Who Am I? (1998)- I forget about this movie sometimes and I think it is very solid

Rush Hour(1998)- Chris Tucker is annoying, Ratner is also annoying

Gorgeous (1999)- didn't like it when it first came out but then i watched it again about a year ago and thought that it was a good movie

Shanghai Noon (2000)- Its ok. i'll still watch it every time its on cable

The Accidental Spy (2001)- don't remember anything about the movie except that he was eating niku-man

Rush Hour 2 (2001)- Ratner is such a bad director choice. plus more Tucker=more annoying. the fbi lady is super hot.

The Tuxedo (2002)- Jennifer Love's acting was bad. most of the jokes were also bad

Shanghai Knights (2003)- I was hoping for more since Donnie and Jackie share the screen

The Medallion (2003)- very forgettable

Around the World in 80 Days (2004)- Jackie shouldn't be a sidekick

New Police Story (2004)- lets you see that Jackie still has it

The Myth (2005)- I think that i'm the only one that really liked it. Ok action but i like the story. maybe i'm crazy

Rob-B-Hood (2006)- I had fun

Rush Hour 3 (2007)- Thank god Chris Tucker doesn't do any other movies besides the Rush Hour movies, i don't think i could take it.

The Forbidden Kingdom (2008)- missed opportunity. I was really excited, Jackie, Jet, good mythology, bad screenplay. Strangely enough, my girlfriend who normally can't stay awake 10 minutes during a martial arts flick, loved it. I guess martial arts fans were not their target demo.

Shinjuku Incident (2009)- ?

Guest Yi-Long

The best movie Jackie has been in the last 10-15 years, is Kung Fu Panda.

It's a shame that the Jackie who was so very ambitious and bragging about him being his own man and doing all his own stunts and wanting to give his fans the very very best, has been slecking off so severely ever since his Rumble in the Bronx break-through.

I think he genuinely thinks his fans LIKE his USA-style action flicks. He's wrong.

All we ever wanted after Drunken Master 2 and Crime Story, were movies of that same kinda quality: either serious mature crime stories with good decent action, or martial arts flicks which showcase his martial arts talents.

Instead he gives us lame comedy and mediocre action, dumbed and slowed down, and set to 'cool beats', in order to wow the 'inner-city' American crowd. Thanks Jackie(!)

Jackie will go down in the historybooks for making some very good movies, and being responsible for some great and legendary scenes.... but after '95 the chapters about him are bleak and disappointing. Such a shame.

It's true what you say about Jackie Post-Bronx. He seems a step slower in his work after this. He surrounds himself with great opponents like in "Who Am I" and "Gorgeous", but i wasn't as impressed with him when i saw these recently. I still think he makes good movies here and there (like the above mentioned), he just hasn't been at his best in a while.

Instead he gives us lame comedy and mediocre action, dumbed and slowed down, and set to 'cool beats', in order to wow the 'inner-city' American crowd. Thanks Jackie(!)

Wouldn't many of the movies (especially the early/mid nineties "breakout" slew of movies have more been altereted by the US/international market companies vs. Jackie himself?

Guest Yi-Long
Wouldn't many of the movies (especially the early/mid nineties "breakout" slew of movies have more been altereted by the US/international market companies vs. Jackie himself?

Sure, the break-out movies were ALSO cut by the international distributors, but when you look at, for example, First Strike, it's clear he was already going for a more 'western' kinda movie...

With or without the cuts and dubbing, the story is still abysmall, the casting/acting horrible, and the action is mediocre at best.

I do like Gorgeous and Thunderbolt btw, but those seemed like movies that didn't have an international audience in mind: Gorgeous really is a HK production and also quite different (and better) from what we usually expect from Jackie, but personally I really liked it, and Thunderbolt just has an entertaining story and seems like a project Jackie liked doing, with the racing and stuff. Action-wise, Gorgeous has some nice fights, and Thunderbolt is also okay.

But in the end, it's Jackie who makes these decisions, and from a fan's POV, I'm pretty sure we can agree on those decisions, with a few exceptions, having been quite poor.

Especially Who Am I and Mr. Nice Guy and maybe even Accidental Spy (been too long since I've seen it, but wasn't impressed) just try wayyy to hard (and fail miserably) to reach an international audience, and what you end up with is a simple story, paperthin writing and 'cartoony' bad guys, an international cast that's just mostly CRAP and bring the movie down, and too much time and money wasted on location-shooting, and thus not enough time and energy left for focussing on the action-scenes.

It's just a huge waste.

However, I do ofcourse understand Jackie wanting to reach that international audience. I also do understand him wanting to cash in, after many MANY years of very hard and difficult work, and I understand why HE might have thought how this (these kinda 'HK' movies, and his Hollywood-picks) would have been the best way to manage all that.

From a fan's perspective ofcourse, we disagree, and mostly hate his output.

From a commercial and career perspective, Jackie has done a great job for himself the last 15 years orso.

It's just not what we hoped for, and not what we expected, when we think back to the Jackie we loved back then, cause we still hear him telling us how he wants to be 'special', how he wants to keep bringing better and better stuff to his fans, how he doesn't want to use CGI but give us the real thing, how he knows about bringing action to the screen, etc etc.

Right now, we look back at those last 15 years, and we mostly see him in movies that could have easily starred any other (asian?) actor in his roles.

instant noodles

I think he genuinely thinks his fans LIKE his USA-style action flicks. He's wrong.

I do not think so,mate.Jackie hardly is dumb or blind.He knows his hardcore fans pretty much despise many his usa efforts.,,But fame seems to be extremely important to him,for him(+film studios) it`s better to make crap movies which please many than make excellent movies which have limited audience.